Dining Room - Dress Code Enforcement

w.brooks29

2 hours ago, Water709 said:

Two years ago on Celebrity both my husband and adult son were turned away from the MDR for wearing nice Bermuda shorts with shoes and socks.  Both went back to their respective cabins and changed.  Adult son was more upset than husband, but neither was mortified at being turned away.  It's nice getting dressed up and seeing other passengers respecting the dress code too.  I enjoy dressing up somewhat.  On RCL we saw men WITHOUT SHIRTS eating at the buffet (GAG!!!!).  Decided then never to sail on RCL after that.  And previously we had loved RCL.  It seems if you relax the dress code, some passengers take it to the extreme.  Please don't shoot me for my opinion.  😉

I agree with you on rccl lots of shorts, seems celebrity is like rccl was about 7 years ago , times they are a changin , dress codes seem to be going away . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Many people seem to think the rules don't apply to them and they can pick and choose which rules to follow.  This results in many people believing that flip-flops are acceptable because they will be more comfortable.

I don't think that the rules don't apply to me. In fact, I am a rule follower to a fault. However, I have been burned before when I wore (and packed) formal clothes on a cruise line that had a formal dress code but didn't enforce it. I found out the first night that I was WAY over-dressed and wore more comfortable clothes the rest of the week. 

Many people have posted that they like cruising because they get to dress up for dinner (which I respect and understand), but there are many of us who wear formal clothes for work and would prefer to dress down on vacation. Shorts and a nice, button-down shirt are not disrespectful to other diners. 

You will see me in the MDR on the Equinox dressed according to the dress code. 

Still shocked at the animosity toward a simple and innocent question... what are these forums here for if people are going to be rude?

Edited by w.brooks29
  • Like 3

Other than an incident described on another thread there was a reference to some young women that were scantily dressed, does anyone ever remember a woman being turned away from the MDR for wearing something that was not allowed by the published rules.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

Not the MDR, but I saw the Captains Club Host  turn two women away from the elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill.   One was wearing a bikini with a sheer cover up and her friend was also in a pool cover up outfit, not sheer, but extremely short, 

39 minutes ago, w.brooks29 said:

I don't think that the rules don't apply to me. In fact, I am a rule follower to a fault. However, I have been burned before when I wore (and packed) formal clothes on a cruise line that had a formal dress code but didn't enforce it. I found out the first night that I was WAY over-dressed and wore more comfortable clothes the rest of the week. 

Many people have posted that they like cruising because they get to dress up for dinner (which I respect and understand), but there are many of us who wear formal clothes for work and would prefer to dress down on vacation. Shorts and a nice, button-down shirt are not disrespectful to other diners. 

You will see me in the MDR on the Equinox dressed according to the dress code. 

Still shocked at the animosity toward a simple and innocent question... what are these forums here for if people are going to be rude?

Btw...formal is OUT on X..some still dress up in that mode but most just step it up a bit on Chic nite..

51 minutes ago, George C said:

I agree with you on rccl lots of shorts, seems celebrity is like rccl was about 7 years ago , times they are a changin , dress codes seem to be going away . 

Seems rccl has  gone more like NCL...

X still tries to provide a diff environment. The move to Chic over Formal  night has worked out quite well from what we  have observed. Cruisers can be a bit more casual but still wear nice resort wear.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, w.brooks29 said:

Hello, all!

My husband and I are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Equinox) and are excited to try a new cruise line. I have done some research regarding dress code at dinner in the MDR. It seems that they prefer that you do NOT wear shorts or flip flops at dinner in the MDR. Is this something that is actually enforced? Will we be asked to leave and change into pants and closed toed shoes? We also cruised on Symphony of the Seas at the beginning of June and wore shorts and flip flops (with a nice, button-down shirt) to dinner each night with no problem. 

I'm definitely willing to wear pants and closed-toed shoes, however I am always WAY more comfortable in shorts and flip flops -- especially in the hot Caribbean weather. Just curious if anyone has insight into the enforcement of the Celebrity dress code. 

Thanks, all!

You're in luck. The MDR or other dining venues on Celebrity ships are not hot and humid in the evening. So you will be comfortable wearing pants and closed toe shoes. Welcome to CC. 🥂

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

Btw...formal is OUT on X..some still dress up in that mode but most just step it up a bit on Chic nite..

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

Seems rccl has  gone more like NCL...

X still tries to provide a diff environment. The move to Chic over Formal  night has worked out quite well from what we  have observed. Cruisers can be a bit more casual but still wear nice resort wear.

So what should we plan to bring for the MDR?  What about chic night (More so for my husband)?  I'm only asking because reading through this, it is doesn't sound like he necessarily needs to wear a button up shirt, perhaps a polo would suffice.  For formal nights, will most men be in a suit or tux, or would nice pants with a button up and tie work?  I was thrown when I read that most people don't change after dinner.  We always wanted to put on comfortable clothes to hang out in for the night, which was acceptable on their others we've been on (Carnvial, RCCL, Princess, and NCL), but apparently not on X.  I guess I'll just pack several sundresses, but will certainly change shoes after dinner. 

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So what should we plan to bring for the MDR?  What about chic night (More so for my husband)?  I'm only asking because reading through this, it is doesn't sound like he necessarily needs to wear a button up shirt, perhaps a polo would suffice.  For formal nights, will most men be in a suit or tux, or would nice pants with a button up and tie work?  I was thrown when I read that most people don't change after dinner.  We always wanted to put on comfortable clothes to hang out in for the night, which was acceptable on their others we've been on (Carnvial, RCCL, Princess, and NCL), but apparently not on X.  I guess I'll just pack several sundresses, but will certainly change shoes after dinner. 

Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. It's been replaced with evening chic. Go to Celebrity's website for their description of the evening suggested dress guidelines for the MDR for all evening. Lots of options. 

Edited by davekathy

Again on our infinity cruise in March someone in shorts and not nice dress shorts but old cut offs and a baseball cap worn backwards of course was able to go in mdr in dinner , I approached woman employee in front of mdr questioning dress code and was told they are not allowed to stop anyone from entering . Not first night. 

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. It's been replaced with evening chic. Go to Celebrity's website for their description of the evening suggested dress guidelines for the MDR. 

I have read the dress code, but I’ve also read on here that most men will wear a jacket which is not in said dress code. 

10 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I have read the dress code, but I’ve also read on here that most men will wear a jacket which is not in said dress code. 

Sports coat or blazer is listed on Celebrity's website as a suggestion. The options are all on you.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, w.brooks29 said:

Thanks to all (well most) for quick and helpful responses - that was just what I was looking for! I am aware that there are dress code differences on every line, but there are also enforcement differences, which is what I was interested in. 

Just curious why people get so easily annoyed in forums like this when someone dares to ask a question looking for a specific answer.... if you don't want to see another dress code thread, then don't read them (or reply in them). Sometimes searching for topics doesn't always find exactly what you are looking for, which is why people turn to community forums such as this. No need for animosity, in my opinion. 

Thanks again!

Pretty easy to just follow the rules...

• Like 1

Just back one cruise critic after several years off with no cruises and I’m so sad to hear formal nights are no longer on celebrity! I just booked the reflection for spring 2020 and one of my favourite things about cruising  is dressing up for dinner. Despite the abolishment of formal night if I choose to wear a gown and DH wears a suit will we look ridiculous? 

11 minutes ago, pink tulip said:

Just back one cruise critic after several years off with no cruises and I’m so sad to hear formal nights are no longer on celebrity! I just booked the reflection for spring 2020 and one of my favourite things about cruising  is dressing up for dinner. Despite the abolishment of formal night if I choose to wear a gown and DH wears a suit will we look ridiculous? 

Absolutely not. If that's what you want to wear, go for it. 

7 hours ago, w.brooks29 said:

I'm definitely willing to wear pants and closed-toed shoes

Hi w.brooks.  Just to clarify..... you do not have to wear closed-toe shoes.  I always wear nice fairly dressy sandals with a heel to the MDR and have never been turned away for that.  Sorry if someone else has mentioned this to you already.....I'm flipping back and forth between too many threads at once lol.  Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!!!  ☺️

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Jacket not needed and not all will wear one. My dh no longers wear jacket and tie or  even  just the jacket...Easier not to have to pack it,, Depends on personal preference, and style  and if there is a special event...shipwide or personal. On my "big birthday" cruise on EDGE we dressed up quite a bit.. and .have great photos and beautiful memories. EDGE had a fairly dressy crowd

Usually, my dh sticks with Tommy Bahama,..not the flowery ones ...and  dress slacks. For non chic nights,  its khakis, dockers, collared golf shirt or tropical prints.

Nice contrast to daytime wear of shorts and  tees.

Of course...much depends on the itin, and ship. No need to stress over it....

To Pink Tulip A gown and tux can still be seen but not  as often...if you enjoy it, why not?  But, it's kind of stepped down a bit these days  

Edited by hcat

The hotter it is outside, the colder it seems inside with the A/C.  I always need a sweater in the dining room in the Caribbean.  For our Iceland cruise, the dining room was quite nice, no sweater needed in comparison to the cold outside.  

Edited by sr4mjc

5 hours ago, bighousecop said:

So do you need a dress code to go to a funeral? nope you dress right without someone telling you how to dress cause you know it a respect thing . same in the dinning room.

Are you really comparing a funeral with a vacation?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I’d like to ask a question about attire for the buffet.  My plan is to start the morning with a walk up on the running track, followed by breakfast in the buffet.  Will nice gym shorts and a t-shirt (short-sleeved with my alma mater’s name across the chest) be appropriate, or should I go change into regular shorts?  I will have a cap on since being outside without it risks sunburn 😙, which I typically take off once seated.  (The cap makes for a good seat holder if I go back for seconds or another beverage.)

i did this on previous cruises on NCL and RCCL, but realize X has a different dress code/suggestions.  Didn’t see the buffet listed.

11 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

So, I’d like to ask a question about attire for the buffet.  My plan is to start the morning with a walk up on the running track, followed by breakfast in the buffet.  Will nice gym shorts and a t-shirt (short-sleeved with my alma mater’s name across the chest) be appropriate, or should I go change into regular shorts?  I will have a cap on since being outside without it risks sunburn 😙, which I typically take off once seated.  (The cap makes for a good seat holder if I go back for seconds or another beverage.)

i did this on previous cruises on NCL and RCCL, but realize X has a different dress code/suggestions.  Didn’t see the buffet listed.

You'll be fine. Just like you did on RC.