Dining Room - Dress Code Enforcement

w.brooks29

On our last cruise, with RCCL, I was "suited and booted" on the formal nights but did notice that there were quite a few dressed a bit more casually, although certainly no shorts, caps or tee shirts. On other occasions it was a polo shirt with cargo pants.

I've no real problem at all with what other people wear, its just that if I was going out for an evening meal even at our local restaurants I would also be dressed smart/casual smart.

DSCF2103.JPG

Edited by jdacombe
Forgot to add photo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, bighousecop said:

So do you need a dress code to go to a funeral? nope you dress right without someone telling you how to dress cause you know it a respect thing . same in the dinning room.

When what is supposed to be a fun Caribbean vacation becomes comparable to a funeral, you know some people are taking this way too seriously. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

You'll be fine. Just like you did on RC. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Given the discussion(s) I was no longer sure. 

i know I’ll need to change into my ripped sleeveless t-shirt and cut off shorts for lunch in the MDR.  🙄

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pink tulip said:

Just back one cruise critic after several years off with no cruises and I’m so sad to hear formal nights are no longer on celebrity! I just booked the reflection for spring 2020 and one of my favourite things about cruising  is dressing up for dinner. Despite the abolishment of formal night if I choose to wear a gown and DH wears a suit will we look ridiculous? 

Nahhh, just dressed up nicely... You will be fine and envied by others, too.

I wear a suit most nights to dinner rather it be Chic Night or not...

bon voyage

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

So, I’d like to ask a question about attire for the buffet.  My plan is to start the morning with a walk up on the running track, followed by breakfast in the buffet.  Will nice gym shorts and a t-shirt (short-sleeved with my alma mater’s name across the chest) be appropriate, or should I go change into regular shorts?  I will have a cap on since being outside without it risks sunburn 😙, which I typically take off once seated.  (The cap makes for a good seat holder if I go back for seconds or another beverage.)

i did this on previous cruises on NCL and RCCL, but realize X has a different dress code/suggestions.  Didn’t see the buffet listed.

Well, you most certainly NOT have to change into Chic Evening clothes for breakfast... very relaxed in the Buffet for breakfast...

Although I do believe that cover-ups for swim suits is preferred for the buffet at all times.

bon voyage

22 hours ago, w.brooks29 said:

Hello, all!

My husband and I are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Equinox) and are excited to try a new cruise line. I have done some research regarding dress code at dinner in the MDR. It seems that they prefer that you do NOT wear shorts or flip flops at dinner in the MDR. Is this something that is actually enforced? Will we be asked to leave and change into pants and closed toed shoes? We also cruised on Symphony of the Seas at the beginning of June and wore shorts and flip flops (with a nice, button-down shirt) to dinner each night with no problem. 

I'm definitely willing to wear pants and closed-toed shoes, however I am always WAY more comfortable in shorts and flip flops -- especially in the hot Caribbean weather. Just curious if anyone has insight into the enforcement of the Celebrity dress code. 

Thanks, all!

Yes.  In MDR....Definitely enforced.👍👍

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jdacombe said:

On our last cruise, with RCCL, I was "suited and booted" on the formal nights but did notice that there were quite a few dressed a bit more casually, although certainly no shorts, caps or tee shirts. On other occasions it was a polo shirt with cargo pants.

I've no real problem at all with what other people wear, its just that if I was going out for an evening meal even at our local restaurants I would also be dressed smart/casual smart.

DSCF2103.JPG

😀👍

22 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Rubbery beach shoes are definitely frowned upon.  

Does this include Camo Crocs? They are the nicest dress shoes I own. I look awesome when I wear them with my cutoff jean shorts and a stained wife beater. I really hope they will let me and my kinfolk chow down in the MDR. This is my fancy dress.

• Haha 3

If you demand to be with tuxedo wearing monocled monopoly men at dinner...spend more money and get on a boat where the monopoly people are. Celebrity is just a tiny step above Carnival. Get real.

And what kind of person goes and tells the maitre d'? Does this person drive a tiny car and pass out parking tickets as well?

It is a cruise. Focus on yourselves, not those around you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, florisdekort said:

When what is supposed to be a fun Caribbean vacation becomes comparable to a funeral, you know some people are taking this way too seriously. 

I think his point went right over your head...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFLcowboy78 said:

Does this include Camo Crocs? They are the nicest dress shoes I own. I look awesome when I wear them with my cutoff jean shorts and a stained wife beater. I really hope they will let me and my kinfolk chow down in the MDR. This is my fancy dress.

I’m sure you will be fine in your outfit.  

No one is going to bother looking at you anyway.  😁

Enjoy your cruise. .

8 minutes ago, SFLcowboy78 said:

who you kidding? I is sexy...

You mean your DW?👍

But, maybe you will get more attention if you shave your legs.   You might get more attention in your Daisy Dukes and be permitted to dine in the MDR.  😁😁

Edited by Kingofcool1947

11 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Well at least you will be dressed for the occasion if you die on your cruise. 😁👍

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, SFLcowboy78 said:

Of course what else would be appropriate to wear with what you described. What is your choice of hats. A baseball cap or fedora with your fancy dress? 

Edited by davekathy

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Of course what else would be appropriate to wear with what you described. What is your choice of hats. A baseball cap or fedora with your fancy dress? 

A sweat stained baseball cap of course 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

There are plenty of people who will feel out of place if they are overdressed for the room, so I don't agree with those who say "wear what you want."  I'd go middle of the road rather than super fancy.  

• Like 1

Everyone calm down...please !!!

There are subjects on this board that people absolutely go crazy about.

The dress code is clearly stated.

If someone fails to comply then it's the staffs responsibility to enforce it, if they don't, so be it.

There will always someone who will try to circumvent the system.

Please don't get bent out of shape over rule breakers, just enjoy your cruise !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, jdacombe said:

The amusing this is that American's don't really know dress codes and suite/tie is actually technically informal.  

Americans are trying to emulate the trans-atlantic liners of the past with formal dinners, but I wonder if the people clinging on to this vestige of the past realize that they themselves have already degraded the level of dress by a step or  2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_dress_codes 

People are trying to hold on to a feel or look of times gone by, but times have changed.  Europe has become egalitarian. It's no longer couth to flaunt class so the dressing standard is more informal now.   Real formal wear isn't worn for just dinners anymore.  So you have to agree that standards change as time changes.

And I think what we are seeing is a cultural divide and an age divide.  I think in the big cities casual clothes is becoming more and more trendy to wear while going out.  Like buisness suites make you look like buisnessmen from days gone by and is becoming less and less common. especially among the younger people, like the dot-commers, the entertainment buisness, even like financials in new york.  Like there is still a class divide but how you show it off isn't by suite and tie anymore.  Anyone can wear a department store suite and tie.

I think a lot of it is also in the US and non-european countries like the food culture and fine dining culture is becoming more hipster.  It's more important to have fresh locally sourced, to have a story.  The dining tradition is moving away from tablecloths and silverware to focus more on the food.  The standard michelin 3-star format is somewhat losing its luster.  A lot of the restaurants on the world's 50 best are now eschewing parts of the stodgy and staid fine dining experience.  Lots of the tops on that list these days aren't 3 or even 2 michelin star'd. 

What I am saying is that dress codes are a reflection of society, and what is acceptable and not acceptable is based on social norms and norms are changing.  I think the norms aren't changing evenly across geography and age groups, and thats why this issue comes up so much on this forum.  In any event time doesn't wait for anyone and I bet in the future, customers on these cruise lines, who don't understand why there is any connection whatsoever between formal clothes and a caribbean cruise, will slowly push the dress codes to becoming more and more relaxed.  It's just a matter of time.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1

OR -

for the simple version of the dress code

- if you want to stand out and be noticed, dress at either extreme

- if you just want to blend in, dress anywhere in between, within Celebrity's posted guidelines 😊

• Like 3