Dining Room - Dress Code Enforcement

w.brooks29

2 hours ago, Lace said:

BTW, reading this thread, I see many posters confusing a dress code with dress restrictions.  A dress code is for people to get an idea what they will find others wearing at an event,  usually starting with what the majority will be found to be wearing.

Dress restrictions is a list of items that are prohibited from wearing.  How those restrictions are enforced vary from venue and ship and person in charge.

Personally, if they are going to not enforce the shorts rule, I wish they would let us all know.  I would LOvE to wear shorts all nights other than Chic.

You can if you wear a bifurcated skirt, then no problem... conforms to dress 'requests' and your desire to wear shorts on any other night than Chic...

Solved. 😎

bon voyage

14 hours ago, zook50 said:

I can't believe I'm actually extending this crazy conversation, but food for thought...

I am female and sometimes wear very dressy shorts (sometimes with a matching jacket) and dressy shoes to the MDR and specialty restaurants and have never been questioned.  Dressy shorts have been on the "female fashion scene" for a while now.  Yet my husband can't wear the most expensive, dressy, tailored shorts he owns (he doesn't actually want to, as he enjoys dressing up in pants and jackets/button down shirts, etc.) because he's male.  The footwear issue is impacted by gender too.  Women's "sandals" are often modified flip flops or "barely there" in style, yet men are often strongly encouraged to wear "closed toe" shoes.  It reminds me of a long fight some of us high school teachers had in school for years:  we felt it was so unfair that boys couldn't wear hats/headwear of any kind in the classroom (baseball or otherwise), but women were allowed to wear their fashionable toques, berets, headscarves, etc. 

Kind of discriminatory, hey?

Dressy shorts are  still shorts...It's the length that make them  too casual  for dinner on X, not the  price, fabric or style.  If guys want to wear dressy high heel sandals, that's fine too.  Where I went to school, we could not wear hats or  beretsin the classroom ... only religious head coverings permitted....or sadly a scarf if one had  chemo.

Not really a gender  discrimination issue that I see.   X has set standards..fairly liberal, but the slippery slope is out there if they do not enforce the very large sign at the  dining room  door, esp when  other guests feel they can do what they want to do.