Air Canada to Athens

KyOh

We will be sailing on Sept. 19 on Empires of the Mediterranean from Athens to Venice.  Just got our flight info and we are booked on Air Canada.  Our last cruise sent us home from Amsterdam on Air Canada and it was the worst flight we've ever had.  Before I call and pay to change this flight, I thought I'd check to see if anyone on one of the earlier cruises had this flight.  Maybe a newer plane??  Maybe a nicer cabin crew??  Thanks for any input.

AC to Athens is likely on their 'Rouge' carrier which is to say its going to be an older plane with younger crew.  No frills, no gimmicks but of course full price....got to love how that works?!? 

In order to confirm you can check sites like seat guru dot com to confirm which plane you're likely to be on but i'm sure its an older B767

We’re doing Athens to Rome and we went with Air Plus.  We are going Austrian Air connecting in Vienna.  It gets us into Athens at 1:30 PM which was earlier than a lot of flights on other carriers.  Going Home we’re on Lufthansa from Rome to Munich then United to Chicago.  We had the flights picked out when we called and it was easy as we could have wished for!

We're Canadian & never fly Air Canada, unless there are no other options. They were privatised about 30 years ago, but in our experience their service levels haven't improved much.

Pay for Air Plus and change flights. We did, to prevent getting stuck on Air Canada from LHR to Vancouver.🙂

Edited by Heidi13

I think you'll find there is nothing discounted about Air Canada Rouge apart from their onboard product as the price paid is the same as their mainline product.  I agree though when it comes to flying to Europe that there are better options such as Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, etc.

We flew to Athens with Air Transat a few years ago. Loved it!  We’re on the Baltic Sea cruise next week and we’re flying with them again. We always upgrade to Club Class and we’ve never had a bad experience. 

Finally bit the bullet today and paid the $50 each to change to a United flight that arrives one hour later.  I wish that Viking would listen to the passengers who have had previous difficulties with Air Canada on Viking cruises.  Oh, well.  At least we'll be on a decent plane.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:54 AM, wabamun said:

Air Canada is a very good airline.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-named-best-airline-in-north-america-for-third-straight-year-at-2019-skytrax-world-airline-awards-899829384.html

Rouge is their discount carrier and competes with other discount carriers

Love Air Canada too...Rouge not so much, and would hate to fly it across the pond.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:54 AM, wabamun said:

Air Canada is a very good airline.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-named-best-airline-in-north-america-for-third-straight-year-at-2019-skytrax-world-airline-awards-899829384.html

Rouge is their discount carrier and competes with other discount carriers

Unfortunately, Viking keeps booking us on Rouge.  We've paid Air Plus but since our flight is in September, we can't even get seats together on the Newark to Athens potion unless we take center seats.  We're not happy campers right now but all will be well once we board the Star!

1 hour ago, KyOh said:

Unfortunately, Viking keeps booking us on Rouge.  We've paid Air Plus but since our flight is in September, we can't even get seats together on the Newark to Athens potion unless we take center seats.  We're not happy campers right now but all will be well once we board the Star!

That must so annoying and frustrating. We work with a travel agent who makes sure we have good flights and seats.  She even helped us when the airline we were booked on to come home from a Viking cruise went on strike...while some passengers had to miss work because rhey couldn’t get a flight, our TA got my husband his needed aisle seat.