HELP!! lead passenger may not be able to go- what happens?

fragilek

Hi  we have 4 cabins booked.  in one cabin my mother is booked with my mother in law.  Unfortunately my mum is having to undergo tests for a heart issue, which may or may not be sorted in time for insurance to allow her travel.  What happens? Does the lead passenger named first on the doc have to travel or can the other person go on their own.  

If the 2nd person can still go can we swap someone in for my mum - if so how soon before traveling do we need to decide to do that? We haven't checked in yet if that makes any. 

When is the cruise?

Your best be is to contact Celebrity (or your TA if you use one) and ask them. It MAY be possible to substitute someone, but there may be some change fees involved. Only they can tell you for sure.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alakegirl said:

Where do you live? The answer may be country-of-residence specific, but in general whether a name is first or second on the last doesn’t matter. 

I have booked through a USA TA

We had a similar thing happen a few years back.  The first question we need to ask is where are you in the payment process, are you past the final payment, if not your problem is easily solved.  Is there insurance involved.  More info and we might be able to help you out a little better. 

Hi we are past final payment.  My mum is covered by insurance, but to claim we would have to cancel the cabin and then my MIL would also not be able to go. Also she would then also not be able to claim her insurance for her half as she is not ill.  - confusion ! 

Or best standby solution would probably be being able to replace my mum and just loosing her flights money so my MIL could still travel (and take my SIL or a friend) - this is all so disappointing for us as it was a big family celebration for me getting into remission from Leukemia!

42 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Hi we are past final payment.  My mum is covered by insurance, but to claim we would have to cancel the cabin and then my MIL would also not be able to go. Also she would then also not be able to claim her insurance for her half as she is not ill.  - confusion ! 

Or best standby solution would probably be being able to replace my mum and just loosing her flights money so my MIL could still travel (and take my SIL or a friend) - this is all so disappointing for us as it was a big family celebration for me getting into remission from Leukemia!

Wow, I don't believe that insurance.  We had the same thing happen with wife's mother and her aunt.  Aunt could not go for medical reasons and the insurance company just paid her off.   MIL had the cabin all to herself on the trip.  Cruise line didn't care because they were paid two fares.   I would check this again, I've never heard of this. 

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Wow, I don't believe that insurance.  We had the same thing happen with wife's mother and her aunt.  Aunt could not go for medical reasons and the insurance company just paid her off.   MIL had the cabin all to herself on the trip.  Cruise line didn't care because they were paid two fares.   I would check this again, I've never heard of this. 

In  the UK we need proof of cancellation to claim.  I am not sure how we would get that if my MIL still travels.  I have contacted my TA to see what they say.

57 minutes ago, fragilek said:

If your MIL doesn’t want to go, there shouldn’t be any issues in cancelling the cabin. All the travel insurance policies I’ve looked at state that ‘if you or your travel companion...’. Insurance would be useless otherwise; clearly both people traveling won’t randomly get sick at the same time. 

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

If your MIL doesn’t want to go, there shouldn’t be any issues in cancelling the cabin. All the travel insurance policies I’ve looked at state that ‘if you or your travel companion...’. Insurance would be useless otherwise; clearly both people traveling won’t randomly get sick at the same time. 

I agree, as they said, they are in England which has different rules.  Sound to me like insurance over there insures the cabin not the person, I wish them well. 

54 minutes ago, fragilek said:

You need to check on the specific terms of the insurance.

Based on what I know of US trip insurance, you may have all the coverage that you need.

Typically, your MIL’s policy should cover the extra charge for her to be able to cruise in the cabin alone. They usually provide coverage for your travel companion being unfit to travel.

Your Mum’s policy should allow her to just cancel herself off the booking and cover the cruise-fare and airfare (and maybe non-refundable incidentals). She shouldn’t need to cancel the entire booking, but this needs to be discussed with your US travel agent.

All of this likely requires that the insurance company doesn’t judge your Mum’s condition to be “pre-existing”

Congratulation on your remission. May you have a long and full life!
Jane

Jane

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

I agree, as they said, they are in England which has different rules.  Sound to me like insurance over there insures the cabin not the person, I wish them well. 

They may. But what OP stated wasn’t logical. Passengers 1 and 2 are booked in 1 cabin. Passenger 1 is sick and can’t go, but they can’t cancel the cabin because passenger 2 is still healthy and can go. The chance of both passengers being too sick to go at the same time is so minuscule as to make such insurance useless.

I probably wasn't clear enough my MIL will still want to travel  (assuming she is allowed to being the 2nd name on the booking) which means there will not be a cancellation invoice thus my mum can't claim her half back from the insurance . Which means my mum will loose her $1700 she will also loose her $500 flights as that is about the same as her insurance excess (high due to medical conditions) 

Just now, JaneStarr said:

You need to check on the specific terms of the insurance.

Based on what I know of US trip insurance, you may have all the coverage that you need. 

Typically, your MIL’s policy should cover the extra charge for her to be able to cruise in the cabin alone. They usually provide coverage for your travel companion being unfit to travel.

Your Mum’s policy should allow her to just cancel herself off the booking and cover the cruise-fare and airfare (and maybe non-refundable incidentals). She shouldn’t need to cancel the entire booking, but this needs to be discussed with your US travel agent.

All of this likely requires that the insurance company doesn’t judge your Mum’s condition to be “pre-existing”

Congratulation on your remission. May you have a long and full life!
Jane

Editing to add disclaimer:

I know you booked through a US travel agent, did you get insurance through the cruise-line or is it different for non-US citizens? That would need to be confirmed before making any decisions.

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

They may. But what OP stated wasn’t logical. Passengers 1 and 2 are booked in 1 cabin. Passenger 1 is sick and can’t go, but they can’t cancel the cabin because passenger 2 is still healthy and can go. The chance of both passengers being too sick to go at the same time is so minuscule as to make such insurance useless.

She has UK travel insurance - we cannot take out the US ones-  It requires a cancellation invoice to make a claim (you can only claim what is shown in that invoice) .  I have contact d the TA for further advice.  But I am not sure the cruise line can issue any sort of cancellation of my mum's part of the fair.    We have come across this issue before when one member of a party couldn't travel to a booked villa- no partial refund as no cancellation invoice as villa still being used by the other members still traveling.- So no partial costs can be refunded.

Edited by fragilek
added info

34 minutes ago, fragilek said:

She has UK travel insurance - we cannot take out the US ones-  It requires a cancellation invoice to make a claim (you can only claim what is shown in that invoice) .  I have contact d the TA for further advice.  But I am not sure the cruise line can issue any sort of cancellation of my mum's part of the fair.    We have come across this issue before when one member of a party couldn't travel to a booked villa- no partial refund as no cancellation invoice as villa still being used by the other members still traveling.- So no partial costs can be refunded.

So sorry to hear that.

But back to the original question --- I've never tried it, but there have been many discussions here saying that a passenger change can be made as long as 1 member of the original booking is still traveling. If so, another family member could be substituted and then pay the OP's mother. There is probably a cutoff date fairly close to sailing. Of course, UK rules may be different. The best solution is to get hold of the TA and inquire ASAP. And ... good luck to the OP as you navigate this.

Edited by cynbar
  • Like 1

Celebrity should certainly be able to cancel one of the parties on the booking.  Your travel agent should be able to handle this.  Celebrity will then convert the booking to a solo booking and the other person can claim the increased expense because the original cabin mate cancelled.  Or the other party can add someone else to the booking.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

reply from TA 

your mom would lose everything except the taxes and gratuities 

also Sheena would have to pay an additional 1105.40 if the changes were made today

you can change as long as one original person stays on the booking 

So my MIL would still be able to go but it looks like a cancel down of room and a new booking at todays price so a lot more money - Haven't a clue what we can/will do now 😢

If your mother just 'dosent show up for boarding' then the cost of the cabin is what you have paid, though obviously that is the cost of two people, though it appears that is less than they are asking for the new booking. It boils down to which is the lesser of the two evils. I am from the UK, and you should be able to get the flight refunded under the insurance. 

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

reply from TA 

your mom would lose everything except the taxes and gratuities 

also Sheena would have to pay an additional 1105.40 if the changes were made today

you can change as long as one original person stays on the booking 

So my MIL would still be able to go but it looks like a cancel down of room and a new booking at todays price so a lot more money - Haven't a clue what we can/will do now 😢

Have you spoken to your insurers to get clarity on what you can and cannot claim for?