Amazing Secret River (Rio Secreto)

JIA2000

I have read rave reviews about the Amazing Secret River in Cozumel. I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a terrible swimmer. I read a review on a cruise line's Web site saying that they provide life jackets. Can someone please confirm this? Also, it is easy to navigate through the waters if you're not a swimmer?

2. I also read that the lockers are provided and are free. Is this true since you are not allowed to bring watches, cameras, etc.?

3. (Edit - forgot something) I wear eyeglasses because I'm nearsighted. I have prescription water goggles for going in pools, going on water slides, etc. I read they are restrictive on what I can bring in. Does anyone know if they will let me wear my water goggles so I can see well in there?

Thanks!

Justin

Edited by JIA2000
Forgot something

2 minutes ago, JIA2000 said:

I have read rave reviews about the Amazing Secret River in Cozumel. I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a terrible swimmer. I read a review on a cruise line's Web site saying that they provide life jackets. Can someone please confirm this? Also, it is easy to navigate through the waters if you're not a swimmer?

2. I also read that the lockers are provided and are free. Is this true since you are not allowed to bring watches, cameras, etc.?

Thanks!

Justin

We were there in May. Great experience! Yes, they provide life jackets and water shoes. They also provide free lockers. 

5 hours ago, casone said:

We were there in May. Great experience! Yes, they provide life jackets and water shoes. They also provide free lockers. 

Thank you for your reply. Someone in my party has expressed concern about the water being dirty. Is that the case? My thought is that if it is underground the water is clean.

Went there in June (we were land based).  Well worth the experience.  The water is very clean, in fact, you need to rinse off before you get your wet suit, helmet, and life jacket.  The water shoes are a must, but they charge to use theirs, so take your own if you have them.  There are several deep places, but not for long and your head never goes under water, so I believe that you could wear your regular glasses.  Anyone with any kind of mobility issues or cannot walk a long ways on uneven surfaces should not attempt this tour. That would be more of an issue than the swimming.  We had one non-swimmer and the guide helped him.

The pictures are expensive.  They give them to you on a memory stick.  If you are on a tour group from a cruise, I would try to go together and buy one package of all the pictures, then share!

• Like 1

Not sure where you heard or read about people getting seasick. The Ultramar ferries are new boats.  The ride is very smooth. 

We have taken them from Cozumel to PDC and back many times and never a hint of seasickness. I guess if you are prone to seasickness , take some Meclizine. The seating is nice, some with tables.  Snack bar that even serves Starbucks.

Yes posts with those complaints are not uncommon, and sea conditions can cause problems for those who are very prone to seasickness. All ferries were actually not running one day earlier this year due to very heavy winds and rough seas.

But we’ve never been uncomfortable, especially with the newer ferries. Although Ultramar doesn’t have the newest ferries promised, their new ferries are very comfortable and provide a pretty smooth ride. So I would not be concerned, if you are ok on the ship you should be fine on the ferry...

Yes, they provide life jackets and wet suits.

Lockers are provided and free.

I don’t know why you couldn’t wear your special goggles, you could probably wear your glasses as well.

It is a rough path to walk down to the river. Not awful, but not paved and smooth. We had some weak/non swimmers in our group and they were fine. The life jackets are *very* buoyant and you would have to work at it to drown. It’s very easy to just bob along in the deeper parts.

Definitely budget to get the flash drive of pictures. They will have lots of pictures of your group plus beautiful professional pictures of the cave itself. 

The ferry over over wasn’t too bad but it was bumpy coming back. If you’re prone to motion sickness you should keep that in mind. 

Edited by melissa84

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, Vacation Lover1 said:

Anyone know if Keens qualify as water shoes for this excursion? What about Crocs? or does it have to be the standard beach type of water shoes?

It has been several years since I did this excursion but I was able to wear my keens and my daughter wore her sandals.  I would recommend water shoes that are completely sealed (no opening on your feet) since the bottom is gravely and you will get rocks in your shoes, even with the keens.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, Vacation Lover1 said:

Anyone know if Keens qualify as water shoes for this excursion? What about Crocs? or does it have to be the standard beach type of water shoes?

If you don’t have water shoes they will provide you with them. I definitely would not wear open toed shoes. The path is uneven and rocky. You could cut your toes!

I took this tour a few years ago.  I am not a good swimmer and had the same worry.  It was not a big deal at all.  The wet suit is really buoyant.  Add in the life jacket and it is pretty much impossible to drown.  You kind of just float and use your arms to push you along if you aren't a great swimmer.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

The pictures are expensive, but what is expensive?  How much is the stick?  How many pictures are on it?  

I think it was $99 and came on a flash drive.  It had about 50 "stock" photos of the cave - some close ups of the cave and others of plants and sea-life.  Very nice pictures for your scrapbook or Facebook.  There were two families in our group - there were about 61 of just our family and a similar number of the other family.  The photographer accompanies you through the cave, so every time you come around a bend, put on a big smile and she will get you.  If you blink, just ask her and she will re-do it for you.  At the high point of the tour, they will group you together for a nice group picture, plus another at the beginning with the Rio Secreto sign.

HW1rurKfTq6oZw9KNUdO3K7AXHtKNPz-3oGLPkHf_84Jt93OEREQldN2w4l-cTw0P_9U-H-4y-zJYqpXAVNEmWg2BlRf02D6ww2dWHaRKBwsTD8Mwgb-UxJEA1ptBHj1Vg7edFqiX2ZGSsllzJmoCqPZzmVQapRwXFP0xitXKhWV2QA-sf1dyhgqijFfP-nMwZRY-sYkYe4PCJz3U0I0lSMi0jkJ76DxfBtU1Rebrzil2uTGzx_691Lyk7h8XQ6SCAeLv-b0or_LNuP5-Vp8MdH9mDJ3Tw0K4R4lyMwg2qypTeDf94fv8Ouq6-sCiVsIc9gz0-kkNo0voGvwGTN97HZm4-e3FZ1iIogAq_ZJF7v6ecuduUJpGyA4IMpNepIhFPN_iUTdJBcRp9dTsrmRKfJgPxPuCKICFW7xvr78z4m845d2ubxb0HCHhAjbYgQBNjpkvMlAve4mjMSjd06SGHUItvAM8KzNx0Kk0u6qgI_huGUNVJTpL9QYS9yw1I8U1xP9EnOxiTLGgrBB9gCzWjobHSSX7lYFXZ-CMCIwCPfHhPFojBHd962GdY2F0nFWvoanOFLrpfhFeKxWYfsffVe_eOHnDmsX23T6gCo2zVg0hwvDDJlZuvuQZyQyhWGpQ0HLelCuzLGlVG1XNIWQASlLeWWvHzTf4dW97QanGoyr9grbfTyZ6QvoQtIctvmGiwgXE2Gbl05Cm0Sr89VdjKp4=w1200-h800-no

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Is this something I could take my 5 and 7 year old on? They both know how to swim and I am a strong swimmer.

I contacted them with my concern about my poor swimming skills and they told me that they have kids come through there. My suggestion would be:

1. Contact them and ask them

2. Search the trip advisor reviews and search for kids or children to see if anyone else has brought their kids

Wish I could offer you more specific help but I haven't  been there... yet

• 1 month later...

We've been to many cenotes there while land-based vacays so I am aware of the temp of water.. also a Floridian so we have 72 degree Springs we are in all the time. Do they force you to wear the wetsuits they provide? (People pee-pee in wetsuits) Can you bring your own if so?