Drinks to get with package

Jasonmom

2 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Have been on approximately 25 cruises but this is my first cruise to have included drinks.  What does everyone here suggest?  I tend to like sweet and rum drinks

Start at the top of the menu and work your way on down (especially if there is a Mojito bar on the ship). The idea is to order those drinks that you would never, ever pay for at your local bar,,, and try them out. Keep ordering until your fuel gauge reads "Full". 

Oh yeah, and start early with a bloody mary or mimosa for breakfast, beers and wines mid-day, foo foo cocktails at night, and that after dinner drink to get you to "Full". 

E4EE8C15-BD79-46B0-BABB-12742703A3EB.jpeg

C86CEB0B-18A5-4078-A66C-1BDD87BD0953.jpeg

894550C3-FF1B-4380-903A-6A4C31234F47.jpeg

EAADFE71-56E3-4630-B622-C74967E94F30.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On the Joy last week: I liked the frozen margaritas at the pool bar, the ginger and regular mojito at the mojito bar, grass clippings at Maltings and I think my favorite was the passion fruit lime cooler on tap at the Local. Mr Worldwide was pretty good too. 

2 hours ago, careyayn22 said:

...grass clippings...

Ooo--what's in this concoction?

Also, a drink I recently "invented" only to find that it was already a "thing" is the Brave Bull--basically a Black Russian made with tequila instead of vodka. Given that I'm looking forward to a Mexican Riviera cruise, it seemed appropriate "research", and I'll see if I can get a bartender or two on Joy to cooperate.

5 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

Ooo--what's in this concoction?

Also, a drink I recently "invented" only to find that it was already a "thing" is the Brave Bull--basically a Black Russian made with tequila instead of vodka. Given that I'm looking forward to a Mexican Riviera cruise, it seemed appropriate "research", and I'll see if I can get a bartender or two on Joy to cooperate.

1.5oz 1800 Silver Tequila

.25oz Cointreau Orange Liqueur

3 English cucumber slices

1 large cilantro leaf

.75oz fresh lime juice

.5oz simple syrup

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Each bar has a separate menu, so start at the top and work your way down!  If you don't like it, you've got a pkg, so it doesn't matter!   That said, I generally drink caipirinha's, but I didn't like them on the ship, they were way too sweet and definitely not the same as what I've had in Brazil (a different cachaca than I'm used to maybe?)  My favorites ended up being the Painkiller, grapefruit mojito and the belvedere peach nectar and lavender patch at Shakers.  Keep tasting until you find what you love.   The bartenders are really great at tweaking and making drinks not on the menu, too!

First time cruising with the an unlimited drink package perk. Are there any bars/restaurants where the package is not honored? Just want to know ahead of time before I order tons of drinks and get stuck with a bill. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, CruisinKJ said:

First time cruising with the an unlimited drink package perk. Are there any bars/restaurants where the package is not honored? Just want to know ahead of time before I order tons of drinks and get stuck with a bill. Thanks!

specialty coffees and drinks over $15 aren't covered - you'd pay the difference plus gratuity.  They're pretty good about telling you if it's not covered. 

Anyone have suggestions on common drinks that are not on the menu that can be requested? I always work my way through the menu, but then want to change it up and draw a blank on what to ask for.

For example, mudslides are not on the menu - but they can make them. Same with an amaretto sour... Just looking for some "regular" drinks that they'll know how to make that I can add in the mix when I want to stray from the same old same old. (Can you tell I haven't hung out in a bar in some year.... )

*Edit* Nevermind, just opened CardFan's quite extensive list... that will keep me busy and my belly full. Will be printing this out as a reference, many thanks!

Edited by Sailing12Away
CardFan wins the internet for today.
  • Like 1

Enjoy the list @Sailing12Away That's the fun of the Beverage Package. As @jmh3791 stated, if you taste it and don't like it, just try a different drink. 😋

@Con5421 - Shakes are not included in the package. There are many frozen drinks alcoholic and non-alcoholic (The above list has 4 pages of non-alcoholic drinks) that are similar to shakes, Mudslide & BBC in particular. 

16 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Just tell the bartenders what you want (fruity, dry, sweet, or a flavor you like) and they'll make something for you.   That's how I stumbled upon the grapefruit mojito I ended up loving!

16 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Anyone have suggestions on common drinks that are not on the menu that can be requested? I always work my way through the menu, but then want to change it up and draw a blank on what to ask for.

*Edit* Nevermind, just opened CardFan's quite extensive list... that will keep me busy and my belly full. Will be printing this out as a reference, many thanks!