Talkeetna - Ideas on what to do

MellyBell

We will be going on the Celebrity Millennium June 2020.  We will be spending a day in Talkeetna and we are looking for things to do.  We aren't interested in any helicopters or float planes.  Do anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

I suggest a visit to Talkeetna Roadhouse.  I patronized this establishment during a Christmas time trip with my two Nephews.  Talkeetna was our destination from Anchorage for that Winter day.  Mt. McKinley was in her full magnificent glory from where we were on that clear afternoon and we enjoyed a good lunch served by friendly Alaskans (along with the restrooms) before returning to Anchorage.

I really enjoyed exploring the cemetery on the outskirts of town. The tombstones are interesting (Alaskan spirit houses and other interesting things) and there is a memorial to the people who have not made it back from climbing Denali. We probably spent about an hour there.

Make sure to get a view of the confluence of the Susitna and Talkeetna River on the west end of town. At the end of Main St. The view of the Alaska Range and Denali are really good. When we were there on May 18, there was an amazing storm between us and Denali.

201905181601_Talkeetna-Rive.jpg

On 6/26/2019 at 11:47 PM, MellyBell said:

Wow thank you so much for all the suggestions!!

Have lunch at the Wildflower Cafe.  Really good food and a cute little place to eat.