Denali Lodging

bballmomma

DH and I are planning our Alaskan cruise in June 2020 from Whittier. We are planning 2 overnights in Denali area before our cruise and as I look at lodging, there are very few accommodations left at this point. I am only going online but when I go to one travel site to look at broad availability there are only 5-7 hotels/cabins that have availability. My question is do some properties not have reservations open at this time for early June next year or is everything really booked up this early? 

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, AKStafford said:

Have you looked at the Chamber of Commerce page: http://www.denalichamber.com/denali-member-directory/

I had not looked at that page but in doing so I clicked on a property I was interested in, Denali Bluff, and it says has all dates outside of this summer as "unavailable" I had looked at the properties listed on the Alaska.org website as close to the park entrance and each of them showed nothing available on my dates. I called one of the Princess lodges and she said they thought they had opened those dates but to call an 800# to check availability. I was on hold for 20 minutes before I gave up.

I called this property and was told that they won't take reservations for next year until mid-August so I guess I will try back then. I will assume the other properties I see are operating in a similar manner. Great news that i have some time to decide, not running out of inventory all together already!

We ran into a similar problem while planning our stay in Denali last summer for this upcoming August. We ended up renting a cabin through VRBO in Healy, and the total cost for the entire 3 days was the same as one night in a hotel in the area. 

57 minutes ago, AuroraRose said:

We ran into a similar problem while planning our stay in Denali last summer for this upcoming August. We ended up renting a cabin through VRBO in Healy, and the total cost for the entire 3 days was the same as one night in a hotel in the area. 

Big thumbs up for VRBO. Most likely the way we will do it next time in Alaska.