Cheers question

pjfnme

I have done what you are thinking of doing. On one cruise we did. On paper my wife and Mom were in one room and in the second was my daughter and I. 16 at the time. As my wife really doesn't drink that much and I wanted the Cheers package and didn't want to spend the extra cash for a non drinker. When we got on board we went to guest services and got spare keys and my daughter went to mom's room and my wife to mine. Carnival doesn't do room inspections to see who's in each they just go by the bookings.

I'm trying to find in actual writing that they cut you off when your package is dried up for the 24 hour period.   I have heard plenty say it happened.  Would just like to be able to find it in writing stating you can not just buy a drink at regular rate.  EDIT!  found it: Yes. Carnival allows up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day (6:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.). After that, the guest will not be served any additional alcoholic beverages.

Edited by ccletzgo

2 hours ago, coevan said:

I believe Disney allows liquor to be brought aboard in U.S.

Not any more...that ended a few years ago. You can bring a 6 pack of beer or a bottle of wine, and replenish in ports.

9 hours ago, ccletzgo said:

I'm trying to find in actual writing that they cut you off when your package is dried up for the 24 hour period.   I have heard plenty say it happened.  Would just like to be able to find it in writing stating you can not just buy a drink at regular rate.  EDIT!  found it: Yes. Carnival allows up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day (6:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.). After that, the guest will not be served any additional alcoholic beverages.

I will not go search for it, but it is a fact that if you stop using Cheers at 14, you can “buy” drinks.  The cruiser could get shut off only by them refusing to be served because they were deemed .... uummmm how to put it drunk and out of control.....  There are many, many threads of peoples experiences. 

12 hours ago, ehughes said:

Just look at the FAQs on Carnival. 

CHEERS! will not be offered on Europe itineraries

I had already read through the Cheers FAQ's but obviously not well enough as I just found what you are referencing close to the top of the page.   As @coevan said, my decision just got a lot easier!  😊  Thanks

for pointing it out because I surely missed it!

Edited by pjfnme

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will not go search for it, but it is a fact that if you stop using Cheers at 14, you can “buy” drinks.  The cruiser could get shut off only by them refusing to be served because they were deemed .... uummmm how to put it drunk and out of control.....  There are many, many threads of peoples experiences. 

That has not been my experience. When we were on Horizon earlier this year with a group of people, no bartender at any bar on the ship would let someone with Cheers “buy” drinks when they got close to 15 drinks. This was a daily event because several people hit 15 drinks every day. One of the bartenders at the lobby bar said she could be fired if she did that. 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That has not been my experience. When we were on Horizon earlier this year with a group of people, no bartender at any bar on the ship would let someone with Cheers “buy” drinks when they got close to 15 drinks. This was a daily event because several people hit 15 drinks every day. One of the bartenders at the lobby bar said she could be fired if she did that. 

I have no experience with cheers just relying on others accounts.   

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have no experience with cheers just relying on others accounts.   

I am sure the accounts you have heard are accurate. No doubt there are differences from ship to ship and even sometimes from bar to bar on the same ship. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just so that everyone knows, Carnival has apparently reversed their decision not to offer Cheers on the European itineraries because they just sent me an offer for the Cheers package for our cruise.  Back to the drawing board now. LOL.  

47 minutes ago, pjfnme said:

Just so that everyone knows, Carnival has apparently reversed their decision not to offer Cheers on the European itineraries because they just sent me an offer for the Cheers package for our cruise.  Back to the drawing board now. LOL.  

Eh, I wouldn't count on it working/sticking.  The website still says "CHEERS! will not be offered on Europe itineraries".  Probably just an auto-generated "upsell" email that doesn't filter based on itinerary.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, pjfnme said:

Hi all.  I have a question regarding a situation that I've never experienced before now so please don't judge me too harshly.  We always purchase the Cheers program when cruising with Carnival as both the DH and I enjoy our adult beverages.😋  We are booked on a European cruise next year that is extremely port intensive (only 2 sea days) and feel that it would not be as advantageous as it normally is to purchase the Cheers package as we won't be on the ship most of the time.  My DH suggested just purchasing one package as we are currently each assigned to our own cabin along with one of our two 20 year old children.   That said, we would not be forced to purchase a second package as the 2nd cabin passenger is not yet 21.  It seems like that should work except for the fact that we planned to swap our cabins around once on board.  When we do that would they automatically charge us for a second Cheers package?   I have never had this scenario before and as we always pre-purchase our drink plans, I wasn't sure if they would go back and look for it once we switched our cabins.   If you have any insight on this, please let me know.  Thanks!   

No they just give you duplicate room keys at gust services for the other room. No name information changes on the cabin.

19 hours ago, texastwins said:

No they just give you duplicate room keys at gust services for the other room. No name information changes on the cabin.

Thanks for that information!  So correct me if I'm wrong but since the names aren't changing for the cabins, the charges made to the sail and sign cards will remain in the cabin to which the individuals are assigned regardless of what cabin they are sleeping in, correct?

4 hours ago, pjfnme said:

Thanks for that information!  So correct me if I'm wrong but since the names aren't changing for the cabins, the charges made to the sail and sign cards will remain in the cabin to which the individuals are assigned regardless of what cabin they are sleeping in, correct?

Correct.  Everyone is assigned a different FOLIO # and charges will be applied to the person (or FOLIO# assigned to them), regardless of which stateroom you are sleeping in.  The cabin doesnt absorb the charges like a typical hotel, so there is no concern on trying to breakdown each charge belonging to whom, as you will get a paper statement with each Folio # charges.  Or you can monitor it on the Hub App.