Beware of the MSC Upgrade bid program

Valkyrie

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I am only talking about the Seaside, where the Yacht Club is all in one area, accessible only by keycard or wristband.  Once you're in, you're in.  Nobody is going to ask you for your keycard.  I understand that in some of the other ships the Yacht Club areas are not all together.  I believe it would be possible in those cases, although not too bright on MSC's part.  If I were to purchase an upgrade to YC, I would expect to receive everything that comes with the YC experience.  I do not believe it is possible to exclude people on the Seaside.

If I were to bid on an an upgrade to YC at this time I would have no idea what I would receive.  In relation to upgrades I don't see any significant difference between Seaside and any other YC ship and have no reason to believe uprgades and upsells from a couple years ago will be any different from this new folly.  Divina also needs a YC card to get into the private areas and the dislocated restaurant quickly learned who was a YC benefits passenger.  The bidding program will most likely be implemented across the entire fleet so I have to believe the location of the YC restaurant really has little to do with the discussion, the main debate is about more significant YC "experience" benefits - primarily the drinks package, thermal spa access and ancillary services from the concierge and butler.  For what it's worth I think all winning bidders will dine in the YC restaurant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnIreland said:

Try asking them the question another way.  Ask which MDR you will be assigned to.

Just log into the MSC website and look at your booking.

Under Passenger Details you will find something like this:

image.png.e5d75083dd31beab18da2684a9cc6181.png

gary

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The Yacht Club cabin includes the Yacht Club experience.  If not, no point in being in Yacht Club.  Particularly in an inside.

Normally yes but as you can see in the other thread people have been upgraded to the cabin without the experience. 

6 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I did read of others' experiences.  Seems they were a while back.

I am only talking about the Seaside, where the Yacht Club is all in one area, accessible only by keycard or wristband.  Once you're in, you're in.  Nobody is going to ask you for your keycard.  

They may ask for the card, it has been done before.

11 hours ago, Até said:

It would be hard for all the servers throughout YC to remember they have no drink package.

They will defenitely remember!

I don't know how they do it but their memory seems to be outstanding. I'm sure they have learned some strategy to remember things. 

9 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

They will defenitely remember!

I don't know how they do it but their memory seems to be outstanding. I'm sure they have learned some strategy to remember things. 

It would be very easy for them if they're given the heads-up about who has been upgraded and IF they weren't to get the perks as a result.  Their photos would be in the system - they only have to remember those faces and not the faces of everyone on that sailing.

You'd be surprised who knows what about you on a ship!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

It would be very easy for them if they're given the heads-up about who has been upgraded and IF they weren't to get the perks as a result.  Their photos would be in the system - they only have to remember those faces and not the faces of everyone on that sailing.

You'd be surprised who knows what about you on a ship!

I agree with you that they only need to remember those faces but they really seem to remember everyone!

Edited by sverigecruiser

5 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you that they only need to remember those faces but they really seem to remember everyone!

I agree ... it's uncanny how quickly they get to know you and remember your preferences, too!  I remember when on Meraviglia a server who knew us from other cruises was taking an order for drinks;  I wasn't sure what I wanted and she asked "Don't you want a brandy and port"?  I'd totally forgotten that that was my tipple of choice most of the time - but she'd remembered!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I agree ... it's uncanny how quickly they get to know you and remember your preferences, too!  I remember when on Meraviglia a server who knew us from other cruises was taking an order for drinks;  I wasn't sure what I wanted and she asked "Don't you want a brandy and port"?  I'd totally forgotten that that was my tipple of choice most of the time - but she'd remembered!

That's why I think they learn some kind of memory strategy. Like people who knows pi with thousands of decimals.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Then surely they must have known that we had been upgraded?

Just now, nikkiw60 said:

Then surely they must have known that we had been upgraded?

They surely knew that and your upgrade included the full experience.

I only say that restrictions can be made. I still think that the OP will get the YC experience, not only the YC cabin.

I'll just say I think nikkiw60 was upgraded under a different policy; a complimentary upgrade to a known CC member who already had the Deluxe package and already in total paid, what she has said, what was getting close to the upgrade cabin's price.  MSC couldn't have bought better PR than the resulting thread on here.  The cynic in me wonders about MSC's timing, but overall I have no problem with them offering a few free upgrades nor with CC members posting about their experiences.

We've also had reports of CC members accepting offers to pay for upgrades, unfortunately most are lacking in important details.  But it has definitely ranged from some have had all the YC experience perks to some being asked to pay even more to get the full experience and some were denied all other YC perks other than the cabin itself.  Perhaps it was due to having different YC managers on different ships but I feel there had to be some sort of basic policy set out by MSC corporate.  My theory is the drinks package a person already had, or was willing to "purchase" once on board, controlled a lot of what areas the YC managers were willing to allow access to. 

When I've talked with senior staff on the ships they have said the upgrade policy was a total mystery and wildly inconsistent.  I see the new bidding system as an attempt to formalize the process, which will probably also net MSC more money.  And I think money is absolutely the focus of this new upgrade bidding system.  I would expect MSC has thought at least a little bit about this, but we are talking about MSC decision makers here.  Perhaps during the initial implementation MSC will make mistakes like letting people without a drinks package pay $115pp to get all the YC perks including the drinks, but that will not happen for long.

This bidding system is there to bring in extra money and I think it's even possible they intentionally leave this question blurry as OP was admittedly bidding based on believing they would receive all the YC perks.  Hopefully we'll find out soon enough, but the majority of people will remain bidding without full knowledge of what they will and will not get.  MSC wants everyone to believe they're going to get some special deal and save tons of money by using the upgrade bid system.  I don't see that happening, Plusgrade has it designed to make more money for MSC. 

The alternative that this really is a score for OP is an even worse situation for everyone not winning an upgrade bid.  MSC has to make a reasonable profit on the sum total of all cabin sales on a ship.  The only way for some people to score super bargain bid deals is to make up for that loss by having others pay a higher price.  If so, welcome to the NCL model.

Everyone, I called again and the Rep said send her the email and she would forward it to someone else(maybe they have to ask the CEO). That was yesterday. As soon as I hear back, I will post it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we can debate this forever here, but we'll never really know the answer.  If you think the upgrade process is rigged, don't participate in it.  Personally, I would never book a regular cabin on an MSC ship and hope for an opportunity to bid to upgrade to YC.  For me, it's YC or nothing.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 1:42 AM, sverigecruiser said:

I found the old thread! It was on page 157 so it took a while to find it!

Read the "MSC Divina upgrade to YC" thread and you will see that people have been upgraded to YC-room without getting the perks.

I still think that the OP will get everything, I just say that it can be done.

There is only ONE person in the tread you reference that claims to have been upgraded to YC and then asked to pay additional $35 pp/pd for YC perks. Only one.

In addition, That ONE person also has a total of five posts on cruise critic all related to the YC upgrade. There is Very little, if any, credibility in my world, especially given the NUMEROUS members reporting that YC upgrades come with all YC perks. Are there any other claims of no perks I am unaware of? If so, please refresh my memory. 

To the OP,  I have been unable to find any creditable source indicating you may not get all the perks. Quite contrarily, there are multiple posts over the years from persons stating they did received the YC perks.

I suppose we can never be absolutely certain, but I’d bet the entire farm you WILL get the perks. Congrats!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Normally yes but as you can see in the other thread people have been upgraded to the cabin without the experience. 

For clarity- only one person reported they were upgraded to YC and then asked to pay $35 pp for YC perks.

8 hours ago, Até said:

But it has definitely ranged from some have had all the YC experience perks to some being asked to pay even more to get the full experience and some were denied all other YC perks other than the cabin itself. 

I mean this respectfully - Are you sure? Can you provide a reference or a member name who has made this claim?

I’ve followed MSc forums for years and have never read about anyone actually being denied YC perks. I’ve read the opposite numerous times. 

• Like 1

OK, I got a reply from the second rep. Here is what she wrote:

Yes, so sorry for the late response. So you will be upgrading the cabin and not the amenities is what I was advised. Also that if you wanted further information on the bid up upgrade program you would have to contact 9549581079 if there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you sure?

I’ve followed MSc forums for years and have never read about anyone actually being denied YC perks. I’ve read the opposite numerous times. 

I'm not as diligent as sverigecruiser to go back and find that post/person, but I also remember the poster that Beamafar refers to on the first page of that same thread where Kodie64 also verified it has happened.  Kodie64 chose to pay the extra, the other earlier poster either didn't or wasn't offered the chance, I cannot remember.  I'm not saying it was common, I really think MSC usually offered the YC upgrades to people who already had a drinks package thus in the majority of YC upgrades it really didn't matter so much if they had full YC access.  Perhaps that is the difference why some were given the upgrade for free and others had to pay.  Not that any of it really matters any more but any people who were upgraded to YC please chime in whether you already had a drink package or not as I'd still be interested.

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

OK, I got a reply from the second rep.

Thanks for the update.  Let's just hope MSC US shore side is ill informed as they have been totally wrong on many new policies before, but I'd be prepared for a possible additional offer once on the ship.

When I log into the website this is what it lists. I'm not sure the on shore people really know about this program. 
Cabin Details
Stateroom # 16023 Msc Yacht Club Interior Suite
Experience
MSC YACHT CLUB
Deck
Passengers
pax-F.png

pax-M.png

Price Details
Services Included
Dining_75x75.png
DINING
entertainment_A_75x75.png
FREE ENTERTAINMENT
Gym_pool_C_75x75.png
ACTIVITIES, FITNESS & POOL
kids_club_75x75.png
KIDS CLUB
earn_points_2_75x75.png
EARN POINTS
Additional Benefits of MSC YACHT CLUB Experience
  • • The ultimate VIP Experience
  • • All-inclusive food & drinks
  • • Concierge Service
  • • 24-hour Butler service
  • • Luxurious suites
  • • Access to Private Areas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:
When I log into the website this is what it lists. I'm not sure the on shore people really know about this program.

MSC reps have been taught that cabin upgrades don't get the experience upgrade, which in all other cabin types has been 99% true.  YC upgrade reports have been fairly rare and the results have been mixed but with a distinct edge going towards getting the perks.  Many people will be following and awaiting your report as I don't think @MSC Cruises USA or @MSC Cruisesintend to officially clarify.

16 hours ago, Até said:

I'll just say I think nikkiw60 was upgraded under a different policy; a complimentary upgrade to a known CC member who already had the Deluxe package and already in total paid, what she has said, what was getting close to the upgrade cabin's price.  MSC couldn't have bought better PR than the resulting thread on here.  The cynic in me wonders about MSC's timing, but overall I have no problem with them offering a few free upgrades nor with CC members posting about their experiences.

We've also had reports of CC members accepting offers to pay for upgrades, unfortunately most are lacking in important details.  But it has definitely ranged from some have had all the YC experience perks to some being asked to pay even more to get the full experience and some were denied all other YC perks other than the cabin itself.  Perhaps it was due to having different YC managers on different ships but I feel there had to be some sort of basic policy set out by MSC corporate.  My theory is the drinks package a person already had, or was willing to "purchase" once on board, controlled a lot of what areas the YC managers were willing to allow access to. 

When I've talked with senior staff on the ships they have said the upgrade policy was a total mystery and wildly inconsistent.  I see the new bidding system as an attempt to formalize the process, which will probably also net MSC more money.  And I think money is absolutely the focus of this new upgrade bidding system.  I would expect MSC has thought at least a little bit about this, but we are talking about MSC decision makers here.  Perhaps during the initial implementation MSC will make mistakes like letting people without a drinks package pay $115pp to get all the YC perks including the drinks, but that will not happen for long.

This bidding system is there to bring in extra money and I think it's even possible they intentionally leave this question blurry as OP was admittedly bidding based on believing they would receive all the YC perks.  Hopefully we'll find out soon enough, but the majority of people will remain bidding without full knowledge of what they will and will not get.  MSC wants everyone to believe they're going to get some special deal and save tons of money by using the upgrade bid system.  I don't see that happening, Plusgrade has it designed to make more money for MSC. 

The alternative that this really is a score for OP is an even worse situation for everyone not winning an upgrade bid.  MSC has to make a reasonable profit on the sum total of all cabin sales on a ship.  The only way for some people to score super bargain bid deals is to make up for that loss by having others pay a higher price.  If so, welcome to the NCL model.

And don’t forget it resulted in us paying for an upgrade on our Bellissima cruise next year...

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There is only ONE person in the tread you reference that claims to have been upgraded to YC and then asked to pay additional $35 pp/pd for YC perks. Only one.

In addition, That ONE person also has a total of five posts on cruise critic all related to the YC upgrade. There is Very little, if any, credibility in my world, especially given the NUMEROUS members reporting that YC upgrades come with all YC perks. Are there any other claims of no perks I am unaware of? If so, please refresh my memory. 

To the OP,  I have been unable to find any creditable source indicating you may not get all the perks. Quite contrarily, there are multiple posts over the years from persons stating they did received the YC perks.

I suppose we can never be absolutely certain, but I’d bet the entire farm you WILL get the perks. Congrats!!

But one person is enough to show that it can be done and has been done.

We have no reason to assume that that person wasn't telling the truth.

• Like 1