King Crab in Vancouver

If there's a bunch of you, then Kirin is the only 'near the pier' location for fresh crab if you're talking reasonable walking distance. Unless you eat the whole crab, it's virtually always steamed/frozen/reheated here just like everywhere else so individual portions served just about anywhere are not going to give you any better experience than literally any resto on the planet that serves the same stuff. The only exception I can think of is Blue Water Cafe as they go through enough high end seafood they can safely divvy up a crab into portions without worrying about getting the rest of it eaten - but it only appears on their seafood towers, so you'd still be looking at a meal designed for multiple people and costing $100+!

Dungeness crab is a much more sensible proposition especially for a group smaller than 8 people - and while it's not unique to Vancouver it's still delicious and fresh (frankly it's better than AKC, stronger-flavoured).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Martincath - since we are talking seafood - it looks like the fish shack has reopened on Granville - the format they replaced it with obviously didn't work as it has been closed for a few months - now that I live in Surrey I am no longer around the corner from it but on a recent visit to the downtown core I saw the Fish Shack signs up and what look like staff training ahead of a reopening.

Thought you might be interested.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thank you kindly for the tip Dennis - I usually avoid Granville (both island and the downtown core blocks of the street) like the plague in summer so it would have been at least another couple of months before I might have noticed! I'll go peruse the website to see if it has returned to the same ballpark menu/vibe as before, and if so will be very happy to reliably get haddock & chips again 😉

Kirin in downtown, sun Sui wah on Main Street (need taxi) they will sale you the whole crab, and cook into different course, you will need bigger group to eat it.  ($500+cad) Also Hoyuenkee on Fraser and 47th is really good too (Cantonese cuisine) their specialty is lobster on sticky rice. Between me and my husband, we will order 2.5 - 3lbs lobster with sticky rice, and two side dish, that's a lot of food for us. If you like Dimsum, recommended for lunch try Kirin or sunsuiwah, don't forget to make reservation. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was downtown yesterday for some tests at St Paul's and went by the former Fish Shack site - it definitely WON'T be reopening as the first shack - looks like it will be called the Heaven and become more of bar with all day drink specials.

I think if you look at the dining options along Granville the upper end of the pricing scale is scarce and I think that reflects the people who come down to the entertainment area are in a drinking mood and not a more refined dining mood.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker
  • Thanks 1