Duct tape

aecs422

On one of  the YouTube cruising suggestions, several have suggested bringing duct tape. I love duct tape but can I tape this on the cabin wall. My over the door hook holds my shoe bag but the hook is not stable. Can I use duct tape to securely hold the over the door hook?  If not duct tape, I am considering using painter's tape, which claims not to damage walls but I'm not sure if strong enough to do the job.    I would prefer the duct tape because of its strength.  Thank you for your assistance.

1 minute ago, aecs422 said:

On one of  the YouTube cruising suggestions, several have suggested bringing duct tape. I love duct tape but can I tape this on the cabin wall. My over the door hook holds my shoe bag but the hook is not stable. Can I use duct tape to securely hold the over the door hook?  If not duct tape, I am considering using painter's tape, which claims not to damage walls but I'm not sure if strong enough to do the job.    I would prefer the duct tape because of its strength.  Thank you for your assistance.

I can't speak to other cruise lines, but on Disney, you can't use ANY adhesives on the walls/doors.  I would think there might be a similar restriction on other lines.  But you'd have to ask your cruise line what their policy is.

Bring magnets which stick to the metal walls.  Duct tape is not used for walls - more for quick repairs on personal items, like ripped luggage.  (On a practical basis, just think of the delay, extra work and chemical smells if people left tape or residue on the surfaces which  the Steward must clean off while trying to turn the room between cruises. 😱). We don’t bring it anymore.  The o e time we needed it, just used some a crew member provided while we were packing up.

10 minutes ago, Rheba said:

We bring duct tape in our carry-on, but it's to reseal the box our Diet Cokes are in once they've been inspected.

Why do they get inspected?

I read many years ago that duct tape can help if your window curtains/drapes are askew and let light in.  We did it.  Wrapped a piece around a pencil or something.

OP:

Taping things to cabin walls and doors runs the risk of damaging their finishes - the repair cost of which will be your responsibility.

That said, there are other legitimate uses for the RIGHT kind of strong flexible tape in the emergency repair/strengthening of things like tears to luggage. 

But, the RIGHT tape would not be duct tape with it's messy residue (once you attempt to remove it). What is appropriate is Gaffer's Tape, which is what is used in the entertainment industry. While it looks like black duct tape, it leaves no residue when removed. It's more expensive than duct tape. But, it is far more versatile and far less damaging. And most hardware/home improvement stores should have it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:
7 hours ago, Rheba said:

We bring duct tape in our carry-on, but it's to reseal the box our Diet Cokes are in once they've been inspected.

Why do they get inspected?

I guess to make sure we don't sneak alcohol in. Mind you it's been a few years since we've cruised (I'm going through chemo) but they've done it every time we've cruise out of Galveston.

Sorry to intrude and add nothing helpful,  but there's a CC member who has a strap-line which goes something like ..... 

"If duct-tape doesn't fix it, you haven't used enough duct-tape"

That amused me.

OK, it doesn't take a lot to amuse me :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, the RIGHT tape would not be duct tape with it's messy residue (once you attempt to remove it). What is appropriate is Gaffer's Tape, which is what is used in the entertainment industry. While it looks like black duct tape, it leaves no residue when removed. It's more expensive than duct tape. But, it is far more versatile and far less damaging. And most hardware/home improvement stores should have it.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

In 27 years of cruising we have never had the need for duct tape on any of our cruises for any reason.  Certainly not a packing essential IMO.  And as others have said it will likely mar any surface you would adhere it to with a tacky residue at the very least.  Curious - would you bring it to use on the walls of a hotel?   I would leave it at home.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

12 hours ago, John Bull said:

Sorry to intrude and add nothing helpful,  but there's a CC member who has a strap-line which goes something like ..... 

"If duct-tape doesn't fix it, you haven't used enough duct-tape"

That amused me.

OK, it doesn't take a lot to amuse me :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

Depends on the original problem. The better quote is:

If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, clo said:

I read many years ago that duct tape can help if your window curtains/drapes are askew and let light in.  We did it.  Wrapped a piece around a pencil or something.

Much easier to just use the clips on a pants hanger to clip the two sides together, and no messy residue left afterward.  Easy to open and reclose every day, as well.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, aecs422 said:

My over the door hook holds my shoe bag but the hook is not stable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the hook is not stable".  

Do you mean that the hook is too weak to hold the weight of the filled holder (it will bend out of shape and the holder will fall), or that the hook slides back and forth along the door causing too much movement, or that the hook doesn't have enough closure on it so that the holder pops off the open end?

Most of the over-the-door holders I've seen have multiple hooks, usually four, spaced out across the top of the holder.   

If the metal of the hook(s) is too weak for the amount of weight you're putting into the holder, I'd look for different hooks entirely (or re-evaluate what you're loading the holder down with).

If the hook(s) slide back and forth on the door because the door is much slimmer than the hooks are intended for, I would recommend wrapping the entire hook part that comes in contact with the door (the "u-shaped" part) in several layers of painter's tape.  This would make the opening part of the hook smaller, so it would fit the door better.  It will also provide a cushioned, textured surface that is less likely to slide,  And it will also prevent scratches/damage to the door's finish from the metal-on-metal scraping when the hook slide (especially important on some lines that restrict the use of over the door hooks for this exact reason).

If the part of the hook that you affix the holder to is the problem, with the holder popping off and falling, you can take pliers and squeeze the hook closed more, even to the point that the hooks are permanently attached to the holder (some are even constructed this way, the hooks don't come off the holder at all).  

And, if for whatever reason none of these fixes work for your situation, you can also purchase heavy-duty magnetic hooks and use them on the wall or door instead of the hooks that came with your holder.  If you go this route, I highly recommend checking the backing of the magnet to make sure it's not going to cause scratches on the metal wall/door, and adding some sort of protection to prevent that from happening, if needed.

I really like your suggestions. Thank you.  It's the over the door part that would not stay. I will try to use painter's tape or duct tape for the over the door hooks to see if they stay put.  The 4 hooks for the shoe bag work well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aecs422 said:

I really like your suggestions. Thank you.  It's the over the door part that would not stay. I will try to use painter's tape or duct tape for the over the door hooks to see if they stay put.  The 4 hooks for the shoe bag work well

Be aware there are cruise lines (well, one anyway - Disney) that do not allow over the door holders.  

48 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Be aware there are cruise lines (well, one anyway - Disney) that do not allow over the door holders.  

I believe (from what others have posted here) that Disney will allow them if they have a protective surface to prevent damage, like what the OP will accomplish if he covers all the metal part of the hook with painter's tape.  

56 minutes ago, aecs422 said:

You can also try pinching the hooks closed a bit more, so more of the tape-covered hook is in contact with the door's surface.

The bathroom doors are typically much thinner than a normal wooden door at home, which is why the hooks don't fit the same on board as they do at home.  

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I believe (from what others have posted here) that Disney will allow them if they have a protective surface to prevent damage, like what the OP will accomplish if he covers all the metal part of the hook with painter's tape.  

No, they do not allow over the door hangers, due to the damage probablity.  That would be scratches, as well as the flexing the door and door frame have to do to accommodate padded hangers.

The doors/door frames are supposed to be air tight (fire prevention and air conditioner issues).  Putting something on the door makes it not air tight.

This is part of the letter from DCL to guests (2013) regarding this:

OVER THE DOOR ORGANIZERS (April 19, 2013)
Dear Guests,

We are glad that you have joined us aboard the Disney (Choose Ship)!

As you may be aware, it is important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests. ...
Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim. 

Guests found with damaged doors are assessed a $100 damage fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

Your attention to this matter will greatly assist us in keeping our shipboard environment looking ship-shape. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Guest Services, Deck 3 Mid-ship.

That's probably the part I was remembering others had mentioned.... that IF it causes damage, you'll be charged, but IF yours is properly protected to prevent damage, there is no fee because there is no damage.

And no, the doors are NOT airtight.  Never have been, and never will be.  Air has to move, or you'd be floating along in one big pile of mold everywhere.  

On 6/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, aecs422 said:

My over the door hook holds my shoe bag

Can't you put them in the closet or under the bed?  When I travel I bring usually two pairs of shoes.

I use my shoe bag to store items, e.g. sunscreen, make-up, combs/ brushes, deodorant, medications, etc. You get the idea. I got this hack watching YouTube videos about alternative storage areas for small cruise cabins. My shoe bag helps counters stay clear of items.  As for shoes, I usually bring three pairs, plus my slippers for the room.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aecs422 said:

I use my shoe bag to store items, e.g. sunscreen, make-up, combs/ brushes, deodorant, medications, etc. You get the idea. I got this hack watching YouTube videos about alternative storage areas for small cruise cabins. My shoe bag helps counters stay clear of items.  As for shoes, I usually bring three pairs, plus my slippers for the room.

Most people on DCL use ribbons to hang the over the door organizers on the hooks in the room.  Or hang it in the closet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TSS Alex said:

Depends on the original problem. The better quote is:

If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

Yes, that's the quote!  😉

We always pack a small travel-size roll of duct tape.  When you need it, you need it.  Like in the middle of the night when the ship starts rockin' and rollin' and it turns out there's one drawer in your cabin that won't stay closed and is banging in and out.   I'm not calling maintenance at 3am for that...

• Like 1