Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Blm03

Who do you all tip?

Recommended Posts

Yes, I’ve prepaid my DSC.  I’m trying to figure out how much to bring to tip on the ship(not in haven). So you tip for child care, steward, and at the bar.  Who else am I forgetting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your room steward is included in the DSC, so additional tipping is up to you.

 

Do you have the beverage package?  If you do, you've already been charged 20% gratuity on that.  So again, any additional tips are up to you.  

 

Everyone is different in if they decide to tip extra and how much.  For us, usually we find one or two bartenders that really take care of us and we end up tipping them extra.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally give a small extra tip to the room steward and that is usually at the end; the sum depends on their "attitude".   That is all as we don't drink and the wait staff changes almost every night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always give cabin steward $20 (blind faith) tip at our first interaction on the first day. We usually have some basic instructions, such as, empty the mini fridge, extra towels, etc. and we feel this is a good way to start the trip on a positive for us and hopefully for the cabin steward. Usually, if our service has been good, we'll follow up with another $20 on around the 5th day (7 day cruise) to help make sure we finish with strong service. While all of this is probably not necessary, we feel good about the extra something for him or her. Of course this is all in addition to the DSC.

I also like to find a regular bartender up on deck for sea days that I'll give $10 maybe after the 2nd or 3rd drink and then add on a couple of dollars here and there on the first day so I'm remembered. This will become my regular bartender that I'll continue to take care of here and there and it's especially beneficial when it gets crowded and I'm quickly recognized and served.

I usually do the same with a bartender or 2 elsewhere on the ship for my pre dinner cocktails. On the Escape it was at the Skyline bar by the Manhattan room and the 5'oclock somewhere bar on the waterfront.

Of course this is all subject to change depending upon service and whether there are others that provide exceptional service.

I'd say I usually bring about $100 in small bills to be prepared for whatever I feel like doing on the gratuity side of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  This helps!  I have to run to the bank today so I have at least a clue what to get now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to stock up on one dollar bills so I could add an addition tip per drink.  But there is a machine in the Casino that breaks big bills down to smaller bills, which has made my life much easier.  I also leave a tip usually around $5 per meal everywhere except the buffet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You didn't mention if you spend time in the casino, but I tip the slot attendants (I usually don't play the tables) here and there and I also tip them if they pay out a hand pay.  Just putting a plug in there for our great casino workers! 😁  No one ever talks about them in the tipping threads. 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My baseline going onto a ship is no one - already paying the pre-paid gratuities/daily service charge, the tips for the beverage package, and the tips for the dining package.  If I get average service of what should be expected on a cruise ship, I don't give any additional tips.  Sometimes a room steward or server goes above and beyond what I expect and I'll give them a little extra for thanks.

 

The only exception is the Platinum level dining perk - I'll leave tip on the $0 receipt because gratuities are not already included like the UDP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people worry about how much to tip?  Do they think that the crew will think of them better?  Does it make up for being a jerk all week?   Will you be considered special?  Will you feel better about yourself?  Do you think you will be remember if you should cruise with that same crew member again?

Who do you tip at home?   The grocery store bag person?  The person who works at the tire store?  How about the cable installer?  How about the doctor who fixed you up?  The trash collector?  The mail deliverer?  The hostess at your favorite restaurant?  etc.

So here are some of the crew members I tip on a regular basis.  The washie washie person.  The utility person who cleans the stairs and elevators every morning and smiles at me while I go get my coffee..  The assistant waiters and waitresses who bus the tables you want to sit at in the buffet.   The egg flipper on the breakfast buffet.  Or maybe that someone who gave me five minutes to tell a funny story.  A tip to me is a way to show appreciation  to someone who was kind to me first.  Treating everyone equal and yet making me feel special.

Tipping is not a must.  But if you have ever been in the hospitality industry, you know you take care of the people who take care of you.  It is your money and spend it your way.

After all do you really think the crew members remember your tip a week later?  Is your $20 more important than your next door neighbor.  They will if you cruise the same ship 10 times in two years and I remember their names because they remembered my name.  I have taken over 50 cruises on NCL and have ALWAYS HAD EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE with both the ships crew and corporate representatives.  Sailing on the Jewel again in July after having sailed on here in June and plan on tipping the same people I have tipped before plus a few more.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Why do people worry about how much to tip? 

I think the OP started this thread as a way to figure out how much cash to get at the bank to bring.  Makes sense to me (especially since the ATM(s) in the casino are frequently out of service!)

 

Also, I am amazed at the number of workers on NCL who remember me from ship to ship & cruise to cruise.  Most of them I've NEVER tipped.  I think people remember kind interactions more than money - so I don't think you have to tip to be remembered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Also, I am amazed at the number of workers on NCL who remember me from ship to ship & cruise to cruise.  Most of them I've NEVER tipped.  I think people remember kind interactions more than money - so I don't think you have to tip to be remembered.

 

I agree with this completely.  We have come across several we saw on previous cruises (most who were never tipped) and they have all been great.  I think it is more about how you treat people and interact with them than how many extra dollars you give them.

 

If you really want to take care of the workers, fill out the comment cards at the end of your cruise and give them outstanding praise for what they did for you on the cruise.  Or even better, hand write a note to give to one of the managers directly.  This means more to them than a couple extra dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stealthdog said:

If you really want to take care of the workers, fill out the comment cards at the end of your cruise and give them outstanding praise for what they did for you on the cruise.  Or even better, hand write a note to give to one of the managers directly.  This means more to them than a couple extra dollars.

Great point & absolutely true!  The crew folks that I've gotten close to said that the comment cards mean ALOT - $$ bonuses, special treatment (free specialty dining for them, etc.)  I make a point of getting a stack of cards and writing them out BEFORE the last day when it gets hectic with packing, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

 

I agree with this completely.  We have come across several we saw on previous cruises (most who were never tipped) and they have all been great.  I think it is more about how you treat people and interact with them than how many extra dollars you give them.

 

If you really want to take care of the workers, fill out the comment cards at the end of your cruise and give them outstanding praise for what they did for you on the cruise.  Or even better, hand write a note to give to one of the managers directly.  This means more to them than a couple extra dollars.

My point exactly.  The crew will try to treat everyone special.  It is there job.  They are trained and paid to be representatives of NCL.  So now you are a frequent cruiser.  You know a few crew members and have been given excellent service.  And handed in a Hero card or two.  Is that the best you can do to the people who go out of there way to please you now,  because you are now a regular?   And handing in a hand written note to there manager means less.  $10 to four crew members means more than four hero cards of outstanding praise.  Most of the front of the house crew member make minimum wage and tips are a way of supplementing their income.  Bonuses are minimal and infrequent.   And extra time off is not paid for.  These crew members are no less important than your cabin stewards

Money talks and BS walks the second time around.  Take care of those who take care of you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

I think the OP started this thread as a way to figure out how much cash to get at the bank to bring.  Makes sense to me (especially since the ATM(s) in the casino are frequently out of service!)

 

Also, I am amazed at the number of workers on NCL who remember me from ship to ship & cruise to cruise.  Most of them I've NEVER tipped.  I think people remember kind interactions more than money - so I don't think you have to tip to be remembered.

Really the ATM out of service.  Blame the machine because you waited to long.  Or just go to a casino table game, pull out your card,  get chips and then cash out.  Instant cash. 

Kind interactions.  They are paid to be kind and nice.   Are they preforming a service for you or are they just interacting with guests and talking to you about family and friends?   After cruising with the same crew members they too remember those people who think they are nice and but are really cheap and fake.  

We are paying for a nice cruise and the crew is working there asses off.  I guess I treat the hospitality industry I little differently. Most people may think that a kind word is good enough after many cruises together and they show their appreciation by cruising the same cruise line.  

I like to do a little extra

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I always give cabin steward $20 (blind faith) tip at our first interaction on the first day. We usually have some basic instructions, such as, empty the mini fridge, extra towels, etc. and we feel this is a good way to start the trip on a positive for us and hopefully for the cabin steward. Usually, if our service has been good, we'll follow up with another $20 on around the 5th day (7 day cruise) to help make sure we finish with strong service. While all of this is probably not necessary, we feel good about the extra something for him or her. Of course this is all in addition to the DSC.

I also like to find a regular bartender up on deck for sea days that I'll give $10 maybe after the 2nd or 3rd drink and then add on a couple of dollars here and there on the first day so I'm remembered. This will become my regular bartender that I'll continue to take care of here and there and it's especially beneficial when it gets crowded and I'm quickly recognized and served.

I usually do the same with a bartender or 2 elsewhere on the ship for my pre dinner cocktails. On the Escape it was at the Skyline bar by the Manhattan room and the 5'oclock somewhere bar on the waterfront.

Of course this is all subject to change depending upon service and whether there are others that provide exceptional service.

I'd say I usually bring about $100 in small bills to be prepared for whatever I feel like doing on the gratuity side of things.

You described how I ROLL too....it works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blm03 said:

Yes, I’ve prepaid my DSC.  I’m trying to figure out how much to bring to tip on the ship(not in haven). So you tip for child care, steward, and at the bar.  Who else am I forgetting?

Hi BLM.  I typically bring along some extra small bills to provide a tip to bartenders as i feel necessary.  I especially provide a tip to the staff members in Splash Academy.  Our two oldest girls (6) have went to Splash Academy on the Pearl the last 2 summers in Alaska and absolutely loved it.  We are heading to BCN on the 10th for a W. Med cruise beginning the 14th and then a Baltic cruise immediately after on the Getaway and all 3 of our girls will more than likely be in Splash Academy at various times of the weeks. This will be our youngest's first time able to enjoy Splash Academy as she turned 3 after our adventures last summer.  For comparison, i provided a total of $300.00 for 1-week last year on the Pearl for both of our girls all week.  
 

Someone mentioned the comment cards.  That is a must-do if you believe someone was exceptional for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Really the ATM out of service.  Blame the machine because you waited to long.  Or just go to a casino table game, pull out your card,  get chips and then cash out.  Instant cash. 

Kind interactions.  They are paid to be kind and nice.   Are they preforming a service for you or are they just interacting with guests and talking to you about family and friends?   After cruising with the same crew members they too remember those people who think they are nice and but are really cheap and fake.  

We are paying for a nice cruise and the crew is working there asses off.  I guess I treat the hospitality industry I little differently. Most people may think that a kind word is good enough after many cruises together and they show their appreciation by cruising the same cruise line.  

I like to do a little extra

 

You really are making ALOT of assumptions LOL  No one said we don't tip.  I said you don't have to tip to be remembered, and I stand by that. (I also don't feel service workers need to be "bribed" into doing a good job.) 

 

And have no clue what you mean about blaming the ATM, because I always have all the cash I need when cruising, however I reiterate that if people don't carry cash onboard because they are relying on the fact that the ship has an ATM, they shouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I think the OP started this thread as a way to figure out how much cash to get at the bank to bring.  Makes sense to me (especially since the ATM(s) in the casino are frequently out of service!)

 

Also, I am amazed at the number of workers on NCL who remember me from ship to ship & cruise to cruise.  Most of them I've NEVER tipped.  I think people remember kind interactions more than money - so I don't think you have to tip to be remembered.

Exactly.  I don’t have a debit card so an ATM isn’t an option.  

 

And i I know I don’t have to tip but I still think I should for good service 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have always paid the DSC (or whatever each line calls it).

Additionally on my most recent cruise:

Van driver from airport to port. She was amazing!

Bartenders that remembered me, knew my preferences and/or made suggestions based on my order history

Room Service

Steward - He was wonderful (handed to him with a hug and thank you on the final morning)

Taxi Drivers to/from Nachi Cocum

Van driver to the airport.

Edited by JennyB1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

My point exactly.  The crew will try to treat everyone special.  It is there job.  They are trained and paid to be representatives of NCL.  So now you are a frequent cruiser.  You know a few crew members and have been given excellent service.  And handed in a Hero card or two.  Is that the best you can do to the people who go out of there way to please you now,  because you are now a regular?   And handing in a hand written note to there manager means less.  $10 to four crew members means more than four hero cards of outstanding praise.  Most of the front of the house crew member make minimum wage and tips are a way of supplementing their income.  Bonuses are minimal and infrequent.   And extra time off is not paid for.  These crew members are no less important than your cabin stewards

Money talks and BS walks the second time around.  Take care of those who take care of you

 

Cool story - you do you and I'll do me.  I don't shame or try to belittle what you do and don't care what you think of me or what I do.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We get comp beverages in the casino so I will tip servers $1 or so when they bring drinks. We didn't pay a service charge so this feels right to me. We will have the beverage package next trip so I won't tip.

 

If we have gotten what we consider extra services from our room attendant we will leave extra at the end of the cruise. When I am solo I am low maintenance so I don't usually tip extra. When we travel as a family we have gotten some extras worth acknowledging so we leave something. Our room attendant was actually an issue on our Bliss cruise so I left nothing, first time we did that.

Edited by Nola26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$20 at the beginning of the cruise to our cabin steward with our requests for the room.  $20 at the end of the cruise if the steward was good.  $5 at specialty restaurants for exceptional service.  $4 for room service in the morning when they bring our coffee and sweet rolls.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I give a dollar to bar waiters each time they bring a drink to my chair.  However, I never bring a pile of singles on board.  The casino area has a bill changing machine that breaks a large bill into singles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jskinsd

 

Who do you tip at home?   The grocery store bag person?  The person who works at the tire store?  How about the cable installer?  How about the doctor who fixed you up?  The trash collector?  The mail deliverer?  The hostess at your favorite restaurant?  

 

More importantly what about the persons who spend time with your children, 5 + hours a day, for more than half the days in any one year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...