Star Breeze around Iceland- questions

A2Zmom

Hi,

We will be visiting Iceland in July aboard the Star Breeze and have a couple of questions for anyone who has been on this cruise before.  I'm pretty set on what I need to pack for the daytime but I'm not sure what people wear for dinner? I know that usually women wear summery dresses, sandals and the like but given that it's not that warm, I'm not sure what to pack?! 

Also, which ports can we get away with touring on our own and which should we stick to the organized excursions?  Any other useful tips would be greatly appreciated!! We're so excited!!

Thanks!!!

My daughter and I will be on the Aug. departure of the Sea Breeze doing the same itinerary. 

You're questions are mine, exactly....basically what do ladies wear for dinner? 

We'd also be interested in what shore excursions are good ones......and where we can just cruise around on our own.

Thanks for asking, A2Z...!!!

We took the excursions below and found the guides to be at an exceptionally high level. Although my husband and I are not extremely athletic, we enjoy walking and found these tours were at just the right level for us.

-Heimay: Pompeii of the North.  I believe you can see some of the sights on your own, but we enjoyed the various stops on the island.  A highlight was our guide; she had lived through the  Eldfell volcano and gave us a first-hand account.

-Seydisfjordur: The Scenic East.  Although this was not my favorite tour, we got a good sense of the various landscapes of the area; the views were lovely.  We walked around the town on our own when we arrived the previous evening.

-Akureyri, Jewels of the North. On this tour, it was amazing (again) to see the various areas, from the waterfall to the geogthermal field.

Isafjordur: Dynjandi Waterfall & The Westfjords.The waterfall was the highlight of this tour for me.

Grundarfjordur: Wonders of the West. Another opportunity to see the various landscapes of the area.  Although I didn't go down to the lava beach, I found the walk along the coast provided spectacular views.  Our guide for this tour was wonderful.

We also spent time in Reykjavik before and after the cruise.  I would highly recommend taking a Golden Circle tour if you can. We loved the Around Iceland cruise, our first on Windstar. We recently cruised in Asia on the Star Legend and have planned another trip for 2020. 

I hope this helps.  Enjoy!

Edited by LovesToRead
Correct title of Golden Circle tour
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LovesToRead said:

I was on the Star Pride around Iceland last August.  For dinner I usually wore black slacks and a nice top.

Thank you for all your wonderful information!! So helpful and much appreciated.  For dinner, would fancy sneakers work (not the hiking or athletic type of shoes) since it's too cold for sandals? 

Highly recommend Jewels of the North excursion - the geothermal fields (Sulphur Flats) was the highlight of the trip for us. On our way back to Akureyri from there, we stopped for a photo op at a point where the American and European tectonic plates meet. I thought getting a shot of a solitary cyclist making  his way between them was  a great photo. 20170804_150048.thumb.jpg.1531cf6c10e238b3553c4a81719ac5f4.jpg

20190629_101936.jpg

Windstar does not restrict footwear other than flip-flops in their dinner-dining dress guidlines. (I am aware that flip-flops are considered formalwear by indulged American teenagers, and that some will be worn to volcanic landscape tours ...   .... once.) If you are also asking, "What will I see others wearing at dinner?", I'm sure there will be some casual footwear at dinner. It's really tee shirts and shorts that they are trying to discourage. You might wish to read (although there are some passionate replies) the nearby thread about Casual And Elegant Not So Much Anymore!

Thank you all....I think I've got it as far as clothing goes. Elizabeth and I did Regent to Alaska a few years ago and I think we can survive with what we've got for the most part. Although my daughter is a Millinium,  she still like to dress a little for dinner (God bless her!) No fight on dressing up a little. 

I appreciate the shore excursion review....will help!

I'm hoping that A3Zmom will give us an update after their cruise!