Queens Grill or Veranda Restaurant

TV Dad

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The brochure on grills which I downloaded last year is no longer there, unfortunately it was too big to up load on cruise critic. 

So it looks like references to off menu dining are becoming rare. I'd print it out whilst you can.

Angus Struthers Cunard Marketing Director , in response to a question about the similarity between princess grill and queens grills  menu did sat ,  in Queens grills you can always order of menu.  But this Q&A disappeared with the new CC web site.

Perhaps Host Hattie can ask about it being reinstated

Forgive me for being a bit confused, but have you experienced QG dining yet?

You seem a bit on the offensive as far as special requests are concerned which makes me think you've not experienced it yet. I can't speak for QM2 but I can for her sisters and whilst QE staff weren't as forthcoming, the QV Head Waiters  and Maitre'd almost fall over themselves asking each meal if the menu suits for lunch and dinner and is there anything we can order for you. 

You're forearmed with all the advice from this site so I wouldn't go looking for problems when the staff do their utmost to make your dining experience the best they can offer.

Edited by Victoria2
maitre'd
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Forgive me for being a bit confused, but have you experienced QG dining yet?

You seem a bit on the offensive as far as special requests are concerned which makes me think you've not experienced it yet. I can't speak for QM2 but I can for her sisters and whilst QE staff weren't as forthcoming, the QV Head Waiters  and Maitre'd almost fall over themselves asking each meal if the menu suits for lunch and dinner and is there anything we can order for you. 

You're forearmed with all the advice from this site so I wouldn't go looking for problems when the staff do their utmost to make your dining experience the best they can offer.

Usually, I find that, having considered the menu of the day and the two alcs, there is no need to seek anything else. Of course, if there is something one particularly wants that doesn't appear, one needs to ask. My spouse loves bread and butter pudding and it didn't appear on the menu in our latest cruise, even though we guessed it would. Clearly we should have asked early on.

16 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I Have 3 QG cruises coming up, when I booked off menu dining was prominent in the Cunard website and promotional material. Since then it is slowly disappearing from view. 

I am sure there will be plenty of nice things, on and off menu, available. Just speak gently to the Maître d' when he comes round at lunch time.

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I Have 3 QG cruises coming up, when I booked off menu dining was prominent in the Cunard website and promotional material. Since then it is slowly disappearing from view. 

Luckily for you, you've had an active thread from which to take advice. Ask and you'll hopefully get. I've not yet experience a ''sorry, no can provide'' in over twenty QG cruises, but then I wouldn't be fussed about Wagyu beef as Onley Grounds is good enough for me. I'd be more worried about supply and demand for my breakfast berries. They can be  missing in action by the end of a two week cruise.

Some specials require a couple of days pre ordering, some twenty four hours and some the same day at lunch time. Sometimes, a simple request can be facilitated at the same meal either from a fetch and carry from another source or a quick make up in the QG galley.
Don't be upset if the reply at lunch time is ''chef has reached specials capacity tonight so tomorrow would be a good time''. It happens occasionally.
Menu items from other restaurants have been fulfilled in the QG galley but again, the date might be at the M'd's discretion.
Caviar is available lunch and dinner on request, no need to pre order. Crepes for pudding can often be asked for at the point of ordering at dinner.
I'm sure I've missed some points off, but you get the drift. The mantra is, if the ingredients are on the ship, you can have it. 
Enjoy the Wagyu.

Thank you, I won't be asking for specials every night, and do appreciate there is limited capacity. The advice given is useful.

But it does seem suspicious that the only mention of " off menu " is now limited to one Answer in FAQs. If it disappears then there is a saying in contract writing, if it isn't written down it doesn't exist.

Caviar is available lunch and dinner on request, no need to pre order. Crepes for pudding can often be asked for at the point of ordering at dinner.

The Maitre d' now has to sign off caviar requests.

In years gone by, crepes were always available, but last year, on QE, we were told that they must be ordered at lunchtime.

Stewart

1 minute ago, BigMac1953 said:

The Maitre d' now has to sign off caviar requests.

In years gone by, crepes were always available, but last year, on QE, we were told that they must be ordered at lunchtime.

Stewart

That has changed in the last two months. Crepes are or were and therefore ''often'' available if the galley had produced an excess and Caviar available on demand on the world cruise. 

Can't say I'm surprised about the caviar though. Can't be the cheapest on demand item they have onboard.

We decided rather impetiously to cruise at first because we were fed up with flying back and forward to S Africa for winter,  flying and airports are unpleasant nevermind where you sit on the plane. We then added on St Petersburg,  which will be first. Obviously before this I did some research looking at menus etc. . So after jumping into Cunard with both feet and 18 months ago booking 3 cruises within 6 months, I've been keeping an eye on the posts and threads to learn the ins and outs.

The promise "But should you not see want you want our chefs will do their utmost to create what takes your fancy" seemed very clear, and as I didn't always find something on the menus that people had posted that I liked, it suited me and was integral to my decision.

At the time this statement was prominent in the Cunard website's QG description, in the FAQs, and in the downloadable grills experience brochure. It is now only seen in the FAQs. 

In the last 18 months many posts have indicated that Cunard are tightening up , as for example Big Mac says about Caviar. 

Perhaps it's just coincidence. 

Long-term Cunarders most probably don't check the Cunard website, they don't need too.  But if the written promise of "off menu" dining disappeared, and two out of three of them have, then every request will become discretionary. 

I'm a  believer that the rules should be clear and well publicised by Cunard, you shouldn't have to rely on  websites like this to know what's included. 

Not that I don't appreciate what I've learnt on this forum and thank everyone for their advice

29 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We decided rather impetiously to cruise at first because we were fed up with flying back and forward to S Africa for winter,  flying and airports are unpleasant nevermind where you sit on the plane. We then added on St Petersburg,  which will be first. Obviously before this I did some research looking at menus etc. . So after jumping into Cunard with both feet and 18 months ago booking 3 cruises within 6 months, I've been keeping an eye on the posts and threads to learn the ins and outs.

The promise "But should you not see want you want our chefs will do their utmost to create what takes your fancy" seemed very clear, and as I didn't always find something on the menus that people had posted that I liked, it suited me and was integral to my decision.

At the time this statement was prominent in the Cunard website's QG description, in the FAQs, and in the downloadable grills experience brochure. It is now only seen in the FAQs. 

In the last 18 months many posts have indicated that Cunard are tightening up , as for example Big Mac says about Caviar. 

Perhaps it's just coincidence. 

Long-term Cunarders most probably don't check the Cunard website, they don't need too.  But if the written promise of "off menu" dining disappeared, and two out of three of them have, then every request will become discretionary. 

I'm a  believer that the rules should be clear and well publicised by Cunard, you shouldn't have to rely on  websites like this to know what's included. 

Not that I don't appreciate what I've learnt on this forum and thank everyone for their advice

I don't know when Big Mac last cruised on Cunard and if it was May or June this year, then caviar has to be approved. If his experience isn't as recent as mine,  caviar was available for us at the point of ordering. His experience of Crepes is different from mine too. Ordering helps but the occasional request has been facilitated the same evening when extra crepes were on the trolley. Ask and see. It's worked for us on numerous occasions.

Maybe my smile is bigger than his!

It wouldn't surprise me at all though  if caviar requests  become a fleet wide to be signed off procedure by the M'd. I would have no problem with that at all.

The staff will go out of their way to accommodate your requests and if you don't ask, you won't get. I truly hope you have a wonderful time and if any other thoughts occur to you before you travel, just ask.

Hi Victoria2

We've only travelled in QG 22 times, with 2 more booked, so we're starting to get the hang of it. We've also got to know the senior staff quite well and occasionally dine with the senior officers.

It's actually been a few years since caviar had to be approved. Watch your waiter after ordering. He/she won't scuttle off to the kitchen (as they used to do) but will have a discrete word with the Maitre d' first.

I've also had crepes "on the spot" but that is definitely not guaranteed and is only dependent on left overs. Back in the day, they made plenty to ensure nobody was disappointed, but that changed about two years ago.

Incidentally, it was NYC round trip on QM2 last August and two weeks around Madeira and the Canaries on QE in November.

Hey TV Dad, I am on the Hamburg to Kiel portion this July 13th. I am also looking forward to Peking Duck. I hope they have three of them on board!  As for the Wagyu, I could probably do without that. I went to Japan last year, and the Kobe knocked my socks off.

Edited by Stella1250
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hi Victoria2

We've only travelled in QG 22 times, with 2 more booked, so we're starting to get the hang of it. We've also got to know the senior staff quite well and occasionally dine with the senior officers.

It's actually been a few years since caviar had to be approved. Watch your waiter after ordering. He/she won't scuttle off to the kitchen (as they used to do) but will have a discrete word with the Maitre d' first.

I've also had crepes "on the spot" but that is definitely not guaranteed and is only dependent on left overs. Back in the day, they made plenty to ensure nobody was disappointed, but that changed about two years ago.

Incidentally, it was NYC round trip on QM2 last August and two weeks around Madeira and the Canaries on QE in November.

I won't do 22 cruises and raise you, I think we both have many QG months under our belts. OK, over eight so far for me so I'm getting the hang of it too.

My comments still stand.

The wait staff may have a word with their Head Waiter on occasion, I can't say I've particularly  noticed but to say he or she has to have the order signed off by Maitre 'd is not our experience.   I never said Crepes on the night were a guarantee and I'm glad you agree with me o the spot crepes can be available.

Enjoy your next cruises. We have a few more than two booked. I'll get even more practise in.

We have also had “last minute” crepes provided and my husband ordered caviar which was provided without any apparent permission being  sought - not for me I must add,  I’m a veggie! This was fairly recently. I do find some Maitre ‘d’s and section Head Waiters more obliging than others.

Having said that, in our QG time - very regularly over the past 7 years - I do think they are less enthusiastic about actively encouraging one to go off menu.

The way the off menu ordering works, is that the Dining room Captain, the second to the Maitre 'd who will generally seat you the first time, will come around during the meal and ask if there is anything you wish. He or she will take note of it and either it will happen, or he will tell you it cannot be done which is in my experience very rare. If you ask a waiter they will advise the captain and he will come to the table. It seems logical that he will pass the requests by the Maitre' d for approval. 

My final word.

Special request orders are definitely taken by the Head Waiters but approval by the Maître 'd isn't a given procedure. For instance,  this would be impossible if he wasn't there, eg breakfast and occasional  lunchtimes and a special request is made and the order taken.

It is obvious there are differing experiences when requesting certain items at the point of ordering such as caviar. I never have any problem at all and neither do my fellow table mates which to me shows it still available on demand, approved by the Head Waiter and or signed off by the Maître 'd, or neither, as the case may be. That may have something to do with the relationship between restaurant staff and passengers or it may have something to do with the slightly different attitudes of the staff on the various ships. I don't know.

What I do know is all our opinions are based on our experiences, experiences gained over [in my case] hundreds of nights in QG and more important, up to date experiences for the most part, always a relevant point. They seem to differ which is slightly confusing for the new to Cunard passengers, as Windsurfboy has pointed out and so based on the advice given here, ask and your special off menu request will be gladly facilitated if at all possible.

• Thanks 1

I cannot help feeling that for first time passengers in QG are not told about these things by Cunard in the hope that they dont know. We only had a visit by Maitre d to our table once during our 12 night cruise and that was just is everything OK and to your satisfaction and nothing more. The only time any other staff apart from the waiters approached us at the table is if we had Beef Wellington or Duck a la Orange and a head waiter certainly not a Dining Room Captain, whatever one of those is, came to the table to prepare and serve the meal and there was 3 or 4 in restaurant having dedicated tables. We were on QE and makes me wonder that you get a different servcie in QG on QM2 compared to QE/QV.

24 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I cannot help feeling that for first time passengers in QG are not told about these things by Cunard in the hope that they dont know. We only had a visit by Maitre d to our table once during our 12 night cruise and that was just is everything OK and to your satisfaction and nothing more. The only time any other staff apart from the waiters approached us at the table is if we had Beef Wellington or Duck a la Orange and a head waiter certainly not a Dining Room Captain, whatever one of those is, came to the table to prepare and serve the meal and there was 3 or 4 in restaurant having dedicated tables. We were on QE and makes me wonder that you get a different servcie in QG on QM2 compared to QE/QV.

I haven't noticed a difference between ships. Maybe Maître D's? In any case the way you were treated was poor, and, one very much hopes, not typical. 

56 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry, can't let this go. Yet again, you've had a memory failure. Let me remind you again, what you actually experienced so you don't give the wrong impression.

'''The senior maitre'd did come to our table in the first few days of the cruise asking if everything was fine and he did say if we had any special requests just ask which we never found the need to do''

You were made aware of the special request facility but you continue to want to ignore that for some reason. Service was fine for us on QE but is superb on  QV and the staff on QV seem more willing to ask if you want anything off  the menu.

Edit

I also think it varies month to month, depending which staff are rostered for your cruise. I had a Caviar request cascaded up to the Head Waiter on QE on one occasion but thereafter, no problem.

A QE regular will give a different aspect of their ship to mine so personal experiences, will differ.

Edited by Victoria2

My first experience of Queen's Grill was on QE this year. The wait staff and the Maitre d' in the Queen's Grill dining room were extremely good and attentive. The Maitre d' regularly spoke to us at our table and I also felt very comfortable approaching him with any concerns I had. We were given the dinner menu every day at lunch and asked if there were any special requests for dinner, either from the special request list in the menu or off-menu.

I have assumed that the point of off-menu ordering is that it is supposed to be an occasional thing, perhaps if there is nothing on the menu that takes your fancy or if you have a particular yearning for a favourite dish. I think we ordered any off-menu items the evening prior.

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Sorry, can't let this go. Yet again, you've had a memory failure. Let me remind you again, what you actually experienced so you don't give the wrong impression.

'''The senior maitre'd did come to our table in the first few days of the cruise asking if everything was fine and he did say if we had any special requests just ask which we never found the need to do''

You were made aware of the special request facility but you continue to want to ignore that for some reason. Service was fine for us on QE but is superb on  QV and the staff on QV seem more willing to ask if you want anything off  the menu.

Edit

I also think it varies month to month, depending which staff are rostered for your cruise. I had a Caviar request cascaded up to the Head Waiter on QE on one occasion but thereafter, no problem.

A QE regular will give a different aspect of their ship to mine so personal experiences, will differ.

Sorry I cannot let this go and respond as I have not had a memory failure as you rudely stated. Yes he came once and said was everything OK and did we have any special requests. Unbeknown to us being our first time that we could order off menu and could request items that were not on the menu i.e. caviar etc. or special meals and he never indicated of anything we could order and we made a point of telling him it was our first time in QG hoping that he could help us with information unfortunately he did not. The food that we were served was exceptional but we ordered all items on the menu and occasionally pre ordered items that were on the menu but you had to order in advance. With regards the waiters they were no better than what we have received in Britannia on QM2 and if anything annoying because they kept trying to second guess what we wanted for breakfast because we had it the previous day without thought that we might want a change which we did but still they did it.

Edited by majortom10

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry I cannot let this go and respond as I have not had a memory failure as you rudely stated. Yes he came once and said was everything OK and did we have any special requests. Unbeknown to us being our first time that we could order off menu and could request items that were not on the menu i.e. caviar etc. or special meals and he never indicated of anything we could order and we made a point of telling him it was our first time in QG hoping that he could help us with information unfortunately he did not. The food that we were served was exceptional but we ordered all items on the menu and occasionally pre ordered items that were on the menu but you had to order in advance. With regards the waiters they were no better than what we have received in Britannia on QM2 and if anything annoying because they kept trying to second guess what we wanted for breakfast because we had it the previous day without thought that we might want a change which we did but still they did it.

Reply 16.

edit and I'm sorry you think me rude but I'm just sticking up for the staff as this is the third time you have omitted to mention the fact you were told about off menu requests.

Edited by Victoria2

I'm keeping out of this .

I will be making some off menu requests in my 14 nights, I have two favourite meals in mind which one l will keep for our anniversary and when I order the other depends on what's on the menu. If there's more than two nights l dont fancy anything on the menu l will go off menu more than twice. 

I will let you know if I'm asked if I  want anything off menu first , before I make my first request.

However I still think this aspect, benefit of QG is not made as clear by Cunard as it could be.

Firstly : Why hide your light under a bushel. It's a tremendous marketing plus that no other line offers.

Secondly why must passengers have to rely on advice from forums like this.

Once again thank YOU I will approach this aspect of my cruises fully armed.

PS I can't match any of your time on ship's, but if it's planes ,then BA sent me an email to celebrate their 100 anniversary. I had flown 2,300,000 miles and spent 33 weeks in the air. My advice go by ship

• Like 2