Azamara changes our Itinerary- Black Sea Cruise

Azamarajunkie

It’s not often that I post on these boards to complain about Azamara, but I’ve been moved to do so thanks to a significant change to the itinerary of our forthcoming Black Sea Cruise next year. OK I know it’s a long way out and theses things happen, but it would have been nice to have been advised beforehand that the Greek Isles we were looking forward to visiting were going to be replaced by two separate days in Istanbul and a visit to Kepez

From a personal perspective having already visited Istanbul and Kepez on cruises a couple of times, it’s not somewhere we’re particularly looking forward to revisiting instead of the previous itinerary. I suppose we should be thankful that at least most of the other ports haven’t changed in the Black Sea, although Trabzon in Turkey has also gone.  There’s only so many times you can visit the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar etc!

We only found out about the change because it was raised on our Roll Call, to date neither we nor our Travel Agent has received notification from Azamara, although Bonnie has posted the content of the email/letter as below.  We wondered why there were very few shore excursions showing on the cruise, now we know why. We love Azamara ships and their crew, and will likely continue to sail with them in the future, but they do frustrate us at times.  We also now find us overnighting in Piraeus at the end of the cruise, again, whilst we love Athens, it was not our plans to visit there again, particularly as we are starting from there and we are there on a land tour later this year. 

The letter hopes we are excited about these changes, sadly we are not.

Host Grandma, please don’t move this to the Roll Call, I’ve already vented our feelings there. 

Dear Azamara Guest,

We’re writing with some exciting news about your 14-Night Black Sea Voyage aboard the Azamara Journey, set to depart Athens on July 18, 2020. 

Favorable new developments have allowed us to add some of our favorite ports of call in the region to your itinerary. You’ll now enjoy two stops in Istanbul, a call on Canakkale, Turkey, and an overnight among the ancient treasures of Athens. 

These additions have required us to make a few important adjustments to your voyage. We’ve removed the previously scheduled calls in Trabzon, Kavala and cruising through Bosphorus Strait, and shifted each of the remaining destinations forward by one day. The details are clearly shown in the charts below. 

We apologise for any inconvenience these changes may cause, however, when the opportunity to bring you two days Istanbul arose, we knew we had to make it happen. This is a hallmark destination and we’re confident this new itinerary is the absolute best way to experience the treasures of the Black Sea. 

Of course, you’ll receive a full refund for any shore excursions booked in the cancelled destinations. Those booked in other ports will automatically be shifted to the new call date, so you don’t need to worry about a thing. More importantly, it’s time to start thinking about amazing experiences in Istanbul, Canakkale and Athens. We’re ready to help you plan everything.

Istanbul, Turkey

Discover this exotic city where West meets East and the streets are overflowing with local experiences and epic history. Visit Topkapi Palace, the former home of Ottoman Sultans, and the awe-inspiring Blue Mosque, covered by more than 20,000 shimmering blue-green tiles. For a taste of local life, shop the legendary Grand Bazaar and indulge in some of Istanbul’s world-famous street food. This is a must-do destination and we have countless ways to immerse you in it as only Azamara can. Better yet, you’ll have two days to see and do it all. 

Canakkale, Turkey
This quite Turkish port is best explored on foot. A stroll along the waterfront and charming streets can be done in just a few hours, highlighted by a replica of the legendary Trojan horse, used in the 2004 movie starring Brad Pitt. Canakkale is also the gateway to the ancient ruins of Troy and the historic peninsula of Gallipoli, where one of the most epic battles of World War I is remembered in moving memorials. Choose from a variety of excursions that invite you to discover Canakkale based on your individual interests. 

Athens, Greece 

You’ll now enjoy a full afternoon and an overnight in Europe’s oldest city. Journey back to the age of ancient Greece among the ruins of the Acropolis, dominated by the iconic Parthenon. Then, perhaps, head to the Central Market to mix and mingle with the locals and enjoy some fresh Greek cheeses and other savory treats. Come nightfall, explore Athens under starry skies and look up to see the Parthenon illuminated in majestic light. It’s a sight to behold and you’ll be there to witness it on this Azamara voyage. 

We hope you’re as excited as we are about these new additions to your Black Sea Voyage. Once again, now is a great time to explore shore excursions to ensure you get the most out of our new destinations. To do so, or if you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact 0344 4934016 or email azamaracustomerserviceuk@azamara.com.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard in July of 2020

Warm Regards

Azamara Club Cruises

• Like 2

I feel, and understand, your pain. Like you we have visited virtually all the big-hitters in Europe and Asia, and we would be disenchanted were it us! That said, Istanbul and Athens are huge attractions, and it probably works for most.

On a happier note, we had 3 or 4 ports in the Black Sea about a decade ago and it is truly fabulous....very few lines go there now, so enjoy that while you can. 

Azamarajunkie, I understand your disappointment at your Black Sea itinerary changes but can I just say that you are really not missing anything by skipping Trabzon. We went there on our Azamara Black Sea cruise in 2014 and got off bery briefly and then got back on again! Not the greatest port for a visit. Batumi in Georgia was lovely though and we enjoyed it there.  

Exactly the same thing happened to us last year. We were booked on an Azamara cruise from Singapore to Fremantle. About 3 months out, all the Australian ports were changed to such an extent that Azamara offered a full refund to anyone who was unhappy with the new itinerary. The new ports failed to make up for the loss of Broome and Exmouth and we cancelled. But we lost on associated flights and accommodation. It's left us worrying about booking future Azamara cruises. Will they change the ports after we've made all our bookings and leave us out of pocket yet again?

Edited by sailco

As you know we’ve had more than our fair share of itinerary changes. This one we had not jinxed or had we?  It was on our short list for our Cuba transfer but I now score this off. Like you that new itinerary does not appeal. 

I hate the spin used by Azamara when they try and sell these  changes as good news.   I choose the itinerary based on my preferences and whilst something might seem good news to others it certainly isn’t to me  and it certainly isn’t exciting news quite the opposite again we see a communication that doesn’t even hint at being sorry to anyone who is disappointed   

I fear on this one it’s going to have more and more itinerary changes Istanbul certainly is still quite volatile and things could change therefore we are in a position to wait and not transfer a booking to that cruise but perhaps buy it nearer the time. 

I totally get the original posters frustrations they would be mine too. 

Our recent cruise from Barcelona to London had a late itinerary change and whilst the cruise was very enjoyable it was not what we had booked and what was missing from the itinerary as a result of the changes were still big black gap for us.  It’s happening too often and from the response the captain gave at the question and answer session it’s driven by marketing who change itineraries after the marine department have signed them off.  On some occasions it’s because ports are not available but a wholesale change like this looks like another marketing change

Edited by uktog

38 minutes ago, uktog said:

Our recent cruise from Barcelona to London had a late itinerary change and whilst the cruise was very enjoyable it was not what we had booked and what was missing from the itinerary as a result of the changes were still big black gap for us.  It’s happening too often and from the response the captain gave at the question and answer session it’s driven by marketing who change itineraries after the marine department have signed them off.  On some occasions it’s because ports are not available but a wholesale change like this looks like another marketing change

Azamara CC followers would know we're unsure about an upcoming cruise. We have been through Azamara's late changes to itinerary once before and it cost us $$$$. As the itinerary for our new cruise is the first time Azamara have visited Africa we are understandably very nervous. We've visited many of the African ports/countries before but as uktog said, the ones We already expect Azamara to cancel due to known turmoil and disease outbreaks, will be the big black gap for us. And, if we know those ports are a potential problem Azamara Must too. So why don't they take action earlier?

Edited by sailco

Turkey is an incredibly volatile country and I had an itinerary changed AWAY from Istanbul.  There were two ports in Turkey and Azamara canceled our entire itinerary.  Our cruise was Amalfi Coast and Greek Islands and we were incredibly upset with Azamara.  I figured the cruise was not about Turkey.  It was just an embarkation point which they could have easily changed to Athens.  When unrest broke out about four years ago, what was to be our first cruise with Azamara was totally gutted, leaving us looking for another cruise line and another itinerary a year out.  In OP's case, at least your itinerary is intact and it's still a Black Sea focused cruise.  We are looking at the South Africa itinerary a couple of years out.  On that one, maybe Azamara feels more free to make changes since most have not been to Africa.  Just a guess.  

I would expect an offer of a full refund. It must be terrible to be treated like a fool. «This is good news». NOT.  It is a significant change and very seldom is that good news. Overnight in Istanbul, - please spare me. The turmoils in Istanbul is not over. As long as Turkey is arresting journalists and radical politicians without court orders it is to be considered a dictatorship. Do not go there. 

Steve, I would cancel.

3 hours ago, sailco said:

Exactly the same thing happened to us last year. We were booked on an Azamara cruise from Singapore to Fremantle. About 3 months out, all the Australian ports were changed to such an extent that Azamara offered a full refund to anyone who was unhappy with the new itinerary. The new ports failed to make up for the loss of Broome and Exmouth and we cancelled. But we lost on associated flights and accommodation. It's left us worrying about booking future Azamara cruises. Will they change the ports after we've made all our bookings and leave us out of pocket yet again?

Yet another example of why it's important to purchase travel protection 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Exactly and also another reason not to book Azamara to far out, makes me even more determined to wait and keep a watch on prices in the future.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Will the travel insurance pay in this case? Due to a change of itinerary?

I do not know of any UK policy that covers that - the OP is from UK

22 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Our travel insurance options in Canada would not cover this either, as long as the start and end dates/ports remain unchanged.

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

I would expect an offer of a full refund. It must be terrible to be treated like a fool. «This is good news». NOT.  It is a significant change and very seldom is that good news. Overnight in Istanbul, - please spare me. The turmoils in Istanbul is not over. As long as Turkey is arresting journalists and radical politicians without court orders it is to be considered a dictatorship. Do not go there. 

Steve, I would cancel.

Surely Azamara will allow people to cancel with a full refund, we had a major change to a Celebrity cruise a few years ago, we cancelled and were refunded within days.

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Steve, I would cancel.

Hi Odd. You are quite right, the current turmoil in Istanbul following the recent rerun of the mayoral elections comes to mind and likewise it’s entirely possible this itinerary could again change. We are travelling with friends on this cruise so unless we are all of the same mind, it is unlikely that we would cancel, after all the primary reason for choosing this cruise was the reopening of the Black Sea. 

We booked this cruise when it first went on sale to take advantage of, on board booking benefits and LCV discount and to secure a suite in a good location. As of now the price has gone up and all the suites are sold out, so we are still in a reasonable  position financially. It’s the itinerary change that bugs us. 

This seems to have become a habit of Azamara.   Between rescheduling Dry-docks, chartering the entire vessel, or for whatever purpose, one cannot be sure that the product that they book way in advance will be the product offered at the time of sailing.  What makes it worse is that Azamara is very lax in informing cruisers always booked of the changes.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laurieb said:

Unless you have purchased absurdly expensive "cancel for absolutely any reason in the world'" travel insurance, that insurance money would go down the drain too.  Wouldn't cover this.

Reading these threads it always sounds like Azamara are the only cruise line to make itinerary changes or cancel cruises because of charters. Yes we’ve had both happen to us with Azamara and the offer of compensation if we were unhappy has always been equitable. But we have had the same happen with Crystal, P&O (U.K), Celebrity, Princess, Thomson (now Marella) and Viking, no offers just take it or leave it and if you want to cancel we would lose our deposit. Thomson and Viking couldn’t even be bothered to advise of itinerary changes, it’s a cruise industry problem if you book early a lot of things can change between booking and departure. 

Edited by Riocca
  • Like 2

Actually John, Azamara haven't bothered to advise passengers on my Pursuit cruise in July of a change in the itinerary. 

We were due to stop at Xlendi on Gozo but when going into my Voyage Planner last week I noticed that the port was changed to Mgarr on Gozo instead. It's only about 9KM away but that makes a big difference if passengers have arranged private tours. Not good enough. I have posted the info on my roll call but Azamara should have informed us. 

12 hours ago, travelberlin said:

In the U.S., at least, you can purchase cruise-specific policies from Nationwide that cover a change in port.  I'm not sure if you can purchase the Nationwide policies outside the U.S., but given how frequently port changes have been occurring with Azamara, it might be worth researching.

We purchased the Nationwide policy for our October Azamara Mediterranean cruise based on the bad weather that occurred last year in that area.  It was only a few dollars more than the typical trip insurance we usually purchase.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, Azamarajunkie said:

It’s not often that I post on these boards to complain about Azamara, but I’ve been moved to do so thanks to a significant change to the itinerary of our forthcoming Black Sea Cruise next year. OK I know it’s a long way out and theses things happen, but it would have been nice to have been advised beforehand that the Greek Isles we were looking forward to visiting were going to be replaced by two separate days in Istanbul and a visit to Kepez

From a personal perspective having already visited Istanbul and Kepez on cruises a couple of times, it’s not somewhere we’re particularly looking forward to revisiting instead of the previous itinerary. I suppose we should be thankful that at least most of the other ports haven’t changed in the Black Sea, although Trabzon in Turkey has also gone.  There’s only so many times you can visit the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar etc!

We only found out about the change because it was raised on our Roll Call, to date neither we nor our Travel Agent has received notification from Azamara, although Bonnie has posted the content of the email/letter as below.  We wondered why there were very few shore excursions showing on the cruise, now we know why. We love Azamara ships and their crew, and will likely continue to sail with them in the future, but they do frustrate us at times.  We also now find us overnighting in Piraeus at the end of the cruise, again, whilst we love Athens, it was not our plans to visit there again, particularly as we are starting from there and we are there on a land tour later this year. 

The letter hopes we are excited about these changes, sadly we are not.

Host Grandma, please don’t move this to the Roll Call, I’ve already vented our feelings there. 

Dear Azamara Guest,

We’re writing with some exciting news about your 14-Night Black Sea Voyage aboard the Azamara Journey, set to depart Athens on July 18, 2020. 

Favorable new developments have allowed us to add some of our favorite ports of call in the region to your itinerary.

You’ll now enjoy two stops in Istanbul, a call on Canakkale, Turkey, and an overnight among the ancient treasures of Athens. 

These additions have required us to make a few important adjustments to your voyage. We’ve removed the previously scheduled calls in Trabzon, Kavala and cruising through Bosphorus Strait, and shifted each of the remaining destinations forward by one day. The details are clearly shown in the charts below. 

We apologise for any inconvenience these changes may cause, however, when the opportunity to bring you two days Istanbul arose, we knew we had to make it happen. This is a hallmark destination and we’re confident this new itinerary is the absolute best way to experience the treasures of the Black Sea. 

Of course, you’ll receive a full refund for any shore excursions booked in the cancelled destinations. Those booked in other ports will automatically be shifted to the new call date, so you don’t need to worry about a thing. More importantly, it’s time to start thinking about amazing experiences in Istanbul, Canakkale and Athens. We’re ready to help you plan everything.

Istanbul, Turkey

Discover this exotic city where West meets East and the streets are overflowing with local experiences and epic history. Visit Topkapi Palace, the former home of Ottoman Sultans, and the awe-inspiring Blue Mosque, covered by more than 20,000 shimmering blue-green tiles. For a taste of local life, shop the legendary Grand Bazaar and indulge in some of Istanbul’s world-famous street food. This is a must-do destination and we have countless ways to immerse you in it as only Azamara can. Better yet, you’ll have two days to see and do it all. 

Canakkale, Turkey
This quite Turkish port is best explored on foot. A stroll along the waterfront and charming streets can be done in just a few hours, highlighted by a replica of the legendary Trojan horse, used in the 2004 movie starring Brad Pitt. Canakkale is also the gateway to the ancient ruins of Troy and the historic peninsula of Gallipoli, where one of the most epic battles of World War I is remembered in moving memorials. Choose from a variety of excursions that invite you to discover Canakkale based on your individual interests. 

Athens, Greece 

You’ll now enjoy a full afternoon and an overnight in Europe’s oldest city. Journey back to the age of ancient Greece among the ruins of the Acropolis, dominated by the iconic Parthenon. Then, perhaps, head to the Central Market to mix and mingle with the locals and enjoy some fresh Greek cheeses and other savory treats. Come nightfall, explore Athens under starry skies and look up to see the Parthenon illuminated in majestic light. It’s a sight to behold and you’ll be there to witness it on this Azamara voyage. 

We hope you’re as excited as we are about these new additions to your Black Sea Voyage. Once again, now is a great time to explore shore excursions to ensure you get the most out of our new destinations. To do so, or if you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact 0344 4934016 or email azamaracustomerserviceuk@azamara.com.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard in July of 2020

Warm Regards

Azamara Club Cruises

Would you have grounds for cancelling and getting your deposit back as it is more than one major change? Why would you spend all that money on going back to places you do not want to re-visit? Hope you get something sorted, maybe even change cruises with them but carry deposit to another cruise? Good luck.  

17 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

This seems to have become a habit of Azamara.   Between rescheduling Dry-docks, chartering the entire vessel, or for whatever purpose, one cannot be sure that the product that they book way in advance will be the product offered at the time of sailing.  What makes it worse is that Azamara is very lax in informing cruisers always booked of the changes.  

This seems to be so easy and so simple.  The team responsible for making changes should be required to immediately convey this information to a team that makes passengers aware of these changes.  Seriously, how logistically difficult is that?  How can any business that doesn't do this be taken seriously?  The way they run that business is almost reckless.  They succeed and fill up ships in spite of themselves and that relates to having such unique itineraries and such a loyal customer base, but that will only get you so far.  

• Like 1

I feel for you. We have been very loyal to Azamara but our loyalty is waning very quickly.   Azamara are having a lot of cancellations and changes to itineraries lately. They cancelled our Croatia cruise next year as It appears  to be much better financially  for them  to charter to ship to other people and don’t give a stuff about people who have had their well planned holiday left in tatters.   We were doing a back to  back cruise from Athens to Venice. They did kindly offer 3 complimentary nights on the next cruise, 7 days later. All well and good if your holiday plans can coincide with the change. Ours unfortunately did not.they have left us no other option now to very seriously think of changing our allegiance to other luxury cruise lines. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stevenr597 said: