Handicapped at Labadee

illiniwahoo

It's my parents first time traveling since my dad's stroke, so we haven't looked at the world through a handicapped accessible view before. How is the accessibility on labadee?  Handicapped bathrooms available? Do they have regular chairs besides beach loungers? I'm hoping my dad can use a walker for a few feet into the sand, and we can plunk him in a chair under a tree.  A beach lounger would be way to low!  He's typically in a wheelchair but we are getting him a scooter for the cruise, which I'm sure can't be driven on sand. Are there any beach wheelchairs to borrow?  Any other tips or suggestions are welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

They don't have the beach wheelchairs for you to keep, but they use them to take him where he wants to be.  There are regular chairs about....you may have to move one from one area to another.  He may be more comfy staying on the ship....

• 1 month later...

Hi...Not sure if you found answers to your questions in time.  I have been doing a bit of research on Labadee. We are going in December and my husband will have a scooter. You can actually take your scooter with you.  There are paths they can drive on.  They can't go onto the sand though.  They have special wheelchairs that locals will drive you in, that are called beach wheelchairs.  They go right on the sand.  They do have beach chairs.  I'm not sure about the bathrooms, but by law they would need to have them.  There are a number of threads that speak about the mobility issue.  Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you went already, but I went with my dad who is in a wheelchair in February.  They have trails to take your wheelchair.  Then my dad is able to walk a little when holding on so we would walk him to a chair or lounger and put him in the shade.  there are handicap bathrooms as well.  It all worked well and my dad enjoyed himself.  

15 hours ago, amybk27 said:

Not sure if you went already, but I went with my dad who is in a wheelchair in February.  They have trails to take your wheelchair.  Then my dad is able to walk a little when holding on so we would walk him to a chair or lounger and put him in the shade.  there are handicap bathrooms as well.  It all worked well and my dad enjoyed himself.  

Thank you for taking the time to write.  We will be in Labadee on Dec 1st...so looking forward to it.  We are renting a scouter for my husband and discovered that you can actually take it off the ship, which will make things much easier.  We are travelling with my brothers and they rented a Cabana, so it should be great.  It is good to know about the bathrooms, that will help. Glad you had a great time!