Cruise Critic Community
Shone216

Hermitage versus Alexandrinsky Theatre

Wondering if anyone could recommend which theatre is best as we’re considering going to a ballet performance in St Peteresburg

You may be well aware that the Hermitage is a world famous art museum and the Alexandrinsky is normally a drama theater that can offer some other performances of visiting companies occasionally as well.

If you’d like to see a ballet you may want to check what your cruise ship has to offer as a shore excursion. They will know better what’s available on the day you’re in town, especially if your cruise is in the summer time which generally is off season for the regular performance schedule. The two well known stages for the ballet in St. Petersburg - the Mariinsky theatre and the Mikhailovsky ballet theatre.

Enjoy the performance whichever you choose.

We saw Swan Lake at the Mariinsky Theater a couple of months ago. We booked the ballet show together with the day tour we booked with Anastasia Travel. They gave us an option to choose between 2 theaters ( Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky) with 2 different Ballet shows . We opted for the Mariinsky since we really wanted to see Swan Lake. It was an incredible experience and we enjoyed the show very much. I suggest you contact a local tour operator to help you with booking a Ballet show and getting to and from the theater at a cheaper price. 

On 6/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, Shone216 said:

Wondering if anyone could recommend which theatre is best as we’re considering going to a ballet performance in St Peteresburg

The Hermitage Theater is the Winter Palace theater and is quite striking - it is one of the 5 Hermitage buildings lining Palace Embankment - it replaced the Russian Imperial Theater.

The Mariinsky (Kirov) is one of two world renowned Russian ballet companies (the other being Bolshoi). 

I would check the playbills of the various ballets and see which most appeals to you. Regardless of which theater you choose, you will be attending a performance with lots of other tourists.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, Shone216 said:

We are on the same upcoming sailing on the Regal.  We are also planning on attending the ballet.  For the eve we are in St. Petersburg, (9/1) our options are Swan Lake at either the Hermitage or the Alexandrinsky.  From what I have learned so far, the Hermitage does not have reserved seats...it is a first come first seat experience and maybe bench style seating (?)...not sure about that.  Perhaps someone who has attended the Hermitage can let us know about the seating situation.  I have read people squeeze in the rows of seats, so that made me think it was like a bench row.  The Alexandrinsky, on the other hand, has reserved seats.  Because of that, we are leaning towards that theater. We prefer to have our seats in advance.

We were off the same opinion seat wise and have booked Alexandrinsky to guarantee seats

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SLSL said:

From what I have learned so far, the Hermitage does not have reserved seats...it is a first come first seat experience and maybe bench style seating (?)...not sure about that.  Perhaps someone who has attended the Hermitage can let us know about the seating situation.  I have read people squeeze in the rows of seats, so that made me think it was like a bench row.  

The Hermitage Theater does not offer reserved seating - it is open seating & one needs to arrive early to secure the best seats. The seats are, indeed, bench style (an oval configuration with the seat cushions covered in red that runs the entire configuration and seat backs that also run the entire configuration (so, unlike a bench that offers no back support). 

It is a beautiful theater with wonderful acoustics but if one is concerned with securing a reserved seat, this would not be the theater to book.

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you dogs4fun....unfortunately we aren't on our own time schedule: we are relying on the tour company's transportation so i am not sure if we would be comfortable without reserved seats . We can't control what time we would arrive at the theater.  DH likes to know he has a decent seat/view. Sounds like the Hermitage is the nicer theater for the acoustics. Oh well. 

Shone216 - we just purchase our tickets for the performance at the Alexandrinsky.  See you there!

Susan