Star Pride

Spanky My

• 2 weeks later...

I've just returned from 10 days on the Star Pride and had a very enjoyable time.  Rough seas and a disturbing storm forecast forced cancellation of three of our ports (Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands and Faroe Islands), but most of us on board appeared to feel that the prudent decision was made.

As for the ship itself, there are plenty of scratches, chips and dings visible.  Overall, the Pride looks as if she could use a facelift; presumably, when the "stretch" takes place next year, some of these other issues will be addressed.  My impression was that things were clean and well maintained, and I wasn't bothered by what seemed primarily to be cosmetic matters.

The crew and staff were uniformly outstanding: a "can do" attitude, warm smiles and good service.  Since we had some unforeseen time at sea, the entertainment started to get a little thin, but I ate well, met an interesting mix of people and saw some great scenery.  I'd be happy to respond to any questions, though I'm not a veteran cruiser and can't offer expert opinions.

1 minute ago, Carolfay said:

I've just returned from 10 days on the Star Pride and had a very enjoyable time.  Rough seas and a disturbing storm forecast forced cancellation of three of our ports (Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands and Faroe Islands), but most of us on board appeared to feel that the prudent decision was made.

As for the ship itself, there are plenty of scratches, chips and dings visible.  Overall, the Pride looks as if she could use a facelift; presumably, when the "stretch" takes place next year, some of these other issues will be addressed.  My impression was that things were clean and well maintained, and I wasn't bothered by what seemed primarily to be cosmetic matters.

The crew and staff were uniformly outstanding: a "can do" attitude, warm smiles and good service.  Since we had some unforeseen time at sea, the entertainment started to get a little thin, but I ate well, met an interesting mix of people and saw some great scenery.  I'd be happy to respond to any questions, though I'm not a veteran cruiser and can't offer expert opinions.

Thanks for the report Carolfay... How  was.. and what room did you have?  Did you get to use the water platform on the back of the boat? Was the ship full? Were alcoholic drink prices about $10 dollars generally speaking including tip? Thanks so much in advance for your response....

• Like 1

I had Room 137, Spanky, on the lowest passenger deck and pretty far aft.  I was happy with the location.  I think the ship was full or nearly so.  Weather was chilly or cool most of the time, and we had lots of rainy days, so using the water platform probably wasn't an option.  I didn't even see much use of the pools/hot tubs.  I bought the all-inclusive package, so my drinks were included; I don't know about individual drink prices or gratuities.  We had several days that were challenging because of rough seas and big swells, and I think they were dispensing plenty of Dramamine from the reception desk.  I've learned that the North Sea and Norwegian Sea can be challenging at any time of the year.

Sorry Carolfay,

Things were cool and and you unfortunately had lots of rain . We will be on our cruise to Panama and Costa Rica on deck 4 nov 27th  but nearer the front of the ship.. Was your room in good condition  overall? We are not to picky as long as things are clean ETC.

So you thought the food was pretty good overall and did you go to Candles?  Was it the typical two person Entertainment with maybe a local group coming on for one visit?  Thanks again   🙂

I was quite satisfied with my room's cleanliness and general layout.  Plenty of closet space, a nice-sized seating area, roomy bathroom - though I didn't need a tub and would have preferred a shower enclosure.  My steward did a very good job keeping things tidy and supplied.  Food was well prepared, and there were plenty of choices.  I had two meals in Candles, and they were very nice - though both times, we were indoors in the Veranda, as it was too wet and chilly to dine on deck.  For entertainment, we had two guy-and-gal duos, and they provided pleasant, familiar tunes in the lounges.  A guitarist came onboard when we were at a Norwegian port, but I was otherwise occupied and didn't hear him perform.

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, 2freeusfromtheleash said:

Hi there Star Pride ! We are on the Viking Ocean Cruise Ship docked across from you in Saguenay! We have been on Windstar Cruises many times before! Can anyone tell me who the Captain is ? We are hoping it is Captain Alan !! ENJOY and TRAVEL on !!

Ricardo Pinzon