Allianz Travel Insurance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Your first stop should have been here, but would be interested to know why you have doubts it's a good company and if so why you would give them your hard earned money?

Whether $266 is a high amount would depend on what YOU want to insure against.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

Allianz is one of Europe's largest insurance companies; it is based in Munich, Germany.  It is the third largest financial services company in the world.  

As Klfrodo says, $$ depends on what you are insuring against. 

Edited by Philob
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

Hello. I have Allianz Journey travel insurance. Has anyone heard of or used this insurance company. $266 for a 7 day cruise seems very high. I have My doubts it's a good company.

I trust Allianz, but that price seems disproportionately high. 😒  I paid $69 to insure a 4-day cruise, so yours should have cost about $120.  Why $266?  Did it include something extraordinary, like a "full refund if you cancel for any reason" clause?

25 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I trust Allianz, but that price seems disproportionately high. 😒  I paid $69 to insure a 4-day cruise, so yours should have cost about $120.  Why $266?  Did it include something extraordinary, like a "full refund if you cancel for any reason" clause?

It's just Me and My Mom going.

@SailorMan20I can't comment on your specific plan, but most comprehensive plans are priced based on

• Non refundable trip costs (or the amount you are insuring for trip cancellation) and
  • Ages of the travelers

Price will then vary among specific plans based primarily on terms and coverage. So $266 for two people in their thirties in an inexpensive inside cabin might be very expensive, but if they were in their 70s or in a suite, it would probably be a great price.  You might want to check out one of the insurance broker websites such as tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com and plug in your details to see prices for your specific situation.  At least you can compare it to what you bought.

Also be aware that most insurance sold by the cruise line does not take into consideration the ages of the travelers, so as people get older, it is often cheaper than third party insurance. The downside is cruise line, insurance usually offers minimal emergency medical and medical evacuation coverage.  In a serious medical situation, expenses can far exceed cruise line coverage.

1 hour ago, Jersey42 said:

@SailorMan20I can't comment on your specific plan, but most comprehensive plans are priced based on

• Non refundable trip costs (or the amount you are insuring for trip cancellation) and
  • Ages of the travelers

Price will then vary among specific plans based primarily on terms and coverage. So $266 for two people in their thirties in an inexpensive inside cabin might be very expensive, but if they were in their 70s or in a suite, it would probably be a great price.  You might want to check out one of the insurance broker websites such as tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com and plug in your details to see prices for your specific situation.  At least you can compare it to what you bought.

Also be aware that most insurance sold by the cruise line does not take into consideration the ages of the travelers, so as people get older, it is often cheaper than third party insurance. The downside is cruise line, insurance usually offers minimal emergency medical and medical evacuation coverage.  In a serious medical situation, expenses can far exceed cruise line coverage.

I will be 33 at time of cruise and My Mom 64. I have a Balcony stateroom with Thermal Spa access.

Your mother's age might be the reason, if she is on the policy.  Our Travel Guard travel insurance started going up remarkably after we hit 55 yrs.,  and even more each year.  

Edited by Walfam

6 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

I will be 33 at time of cruise and My Mom 64. I have a Balcony stateroom with Thermal Spa access.

I just went to one of the above mentioned travel insurance brokers website.  Your mom's age was the only variable.  At 64 premiums were between $260 to $312.  Change age from 64 to 33, the premiums drop down by at least a $100.  Of course the cost of your trip and limits, etc, need to be factored in.

Edited by Philob

2 minutes ago, Philob said:

I just went to one of the above mentioned travel insurance brokers website.  Your mom's age was the only variable.  At 64 premiums were between $260 to $312.  Change age from 64 to 33, the premiums drop down by at least a $100.  Of course the cost of your trip and limits, etc, need to be factored in.

My cruise is quite expensive at $4,311 for a week long cruise.

17 minutes ago, SailorMan20 said:

My cruise is quite expensive at $4,311 for a week long cruise.

As suggested go to one of the mentioned travel insurance brokers websites: insuremytrip.com or tripinsurancestore.com, plug in your information and you should get a couple of quotes back.

For my example above I used $4500 for the trip price for two people, age 33 & 64 and I didn't even get to the part to customize your limits and coverage. 

1 hour ago, Philob said:

As suggested go to one of the mentioned travel insurance brokers websites: insuremytrip.com or tripinsurancestore.com, plug in your information and you should get a couple of quotes back.

For my example above I used $4500 for the trip price for two people, age 33 & 64 and I didn't even get to the part to customize your limits and coverage. 

I went to insuremytrip.com and got prices $266 is about the medium price. Some as low as $218. Some as high as $334.

1 hour ago, SailorMan20 said:

I went to insuremytrip.com and got prices $266 is about the medium price. Some as low as $218. Some as high as $334.

Great!  Now that you've seen other options only you can decide if the $266 is worth it to you.  

You can do a search or wait for others to  chime in about Allianz claims handling.