Sex offender in restricted ports

tony_117

Just now, broberts said:

No. However, I believe "trust but verify" applies to more than nukes.

IMO, that makes no sense.  Verify what?  OP is trying to figure out if he can/should go ashore in Mexico.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

IMO, that makes no sense.  Verify what?  OP is trying to figure out if he can/should go ashore in Mexico.

Perhaps if you read what my post quoted and if it doesn't make sense, find the full post and read the novel.

Edited by broberts

1 hour ago, clo said:

Wow.   I sure hope this attitude doesn't represent the average cruiser.  Whew.

Maybe not the average cruiser, but what about that victim?

What are you trying to suggest? Oh, yes.. "the OP is trying to figure out if he can/should go ashore in Mexico". Give me a break. This is a really good place to ask for legal advise, right. I think a lawyer could tell him, or call a consulate. 

If countries want to keep out poeple that have committed certain crimes, then they should be able to. Doesn't sound complicated to me. 

• Like 3

On 7/2/2019 at 9:16 PM, Aquahound said:

Yes.  I've yet to see this sort of info transmitted on cruise passengers.  In fact, I've yet to see it transmitted to any country who doesn't require a Visa.  

The notification mentioned is NOT through the cruise line.  It directly from government to government.

@anankae I stand by my advice. Advising someone to try to "fly under the radar" seems like bad advice to me. If they follow your advice and there is some interaction while they are ashore that involves the police and it's discovered they are a sex offender, what could happen? I would rather be SAFE than sorry. If Mexico doesn't want someone in the country so be it. Travel elsewhere.

BTW I have an acquaintance that is on the registry because he urinated in an alley while in college. In my opinion it's ridiculous. So, I understand your "victimless" argument. However, he is on the list and MUST follow the rules.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

So all criminals should be left in prison or put to death?

I was going to reply YEP but don't know an emoji for "dripping with sarcasm."  It angers and frightens me how judgmental some can be.

5 hours ago, clo said:

I was going to reply YEP but don't know an emoji for "dripping with sarcasm."  It angers and frightens me how judgmental some can be.

Hi

We have already gotten off the topic, so here goes. With some crimes, you can never make the victim whole. Because of that it is not up to me or you to forgive the person, even if they have "paid their debt" to society. It is up to the victim.

This whole question arises because some countries (including the U.S.) feel that people who have committed certain crimes should not have the right to travel to that country. My understanding (limited as it is) would be that someone who tries to do so would be attempting to commit another crime. I am sure that in many situations there are legal remedies that could allow someone in that situation to enter a country. They have nothing to do with "forgiveness", only legal recourse, and we all understand this isn't the forum to find that help. So, I don't understand why this is still being discussed. It's not the first time similar questions have come up. We are not going to help this person.

Edited by Nic6318

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Let us know when you have hired an ex-con whose offense was fraud and embezzlement to be the controller of your company.

Golly gee, I'm seeing parallels to 45.

And I like the comment upthread about the friend who's a registered sex offender he once peed on the street.

37 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I didn't say it was.  

You may not have.  Others seem to insist that since the cruise line may not be doing the checks there will not be knowledge of such passengers on the ship when it arrives in port so the passenger may be fine to just get off the ship and fly under the radar.  Those government to government notifications (which have been mentioned several times) would flag that passenger when the manifest is submitted and I presume that passenger would be quarantined to the ship if the country has an issue with them.

9 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

BTW I have an acquaintance that is on the registry because he urinated in an alley while in college. In my opinion it's ridiculous. So, I understand your "victimless" argument. However, he is on the list and MUST follow the rules.

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Let us know when you have hired an ex-con whose offense was fraud and embezzlement to be the controller of your company.

Really???

Registered sex offender does not mean a  pedophile or rapist.  It could be something MUCH milder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

You may not have.  Others seem to insist that since the cruise line may not be doing the checks there will not be knowledge of such passengers on the ship when it arrives in port so the passenger may be fine to just get off the ship and fly under the radar.  Those government to government notifications (which have been mentioned several times) would flag that passenger when the manifest is submitted and I presume that passenger would be quarantined to the ship if the country has an issue with them.

MAYBE.

Suppose the person manages to fly under the radar.  Gets off the ship, and THEN the country figures it out and have a problem with it?

Advice like yours could end up with the person in a Mexican jail for an extended period of time.

Is this your intent?????

• Like 1

Just now, SRF said:

Advice like yours could end up with the person in a Mexican jail for an extended period of time.

Quote the part of my post (or any of my posts in this thread) where I suggested the person try to fly under the radar.  In fact - I've been on the OPPOSITE side of the argument...

13 minutes ago, SRF said:

Really???

Registered sex offender does not mean a  pedophile or rapist.  It could be something MUCH milder.

SRF, I think we have to accept that we're not necessarily dealing with the most knowledgeable people here.  I'm beginning to understand how we've gotten into a really big mess these days.  Don't confuse them with the facts.  It just pisses off you and them 😞 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 7:40 PM, clo said:

SRF, I think we have to accept that we're not necessarily dealing with the most knowledgeable people here.  I'm beginning to understand how we've gotten into a really big mess these days.  Don't confuse them with the facts.  It just pisses off you and them 😞 

😄

So true.