Carnival Fascination vs. Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

travelerbug7

Booking first Mother/Daughter cruise. Choosing b/w Carnival Fascination and Royal Car. Freedom of the Seas. Daughter is 20; she can drink alcohol on RC ships, since we're cruising out of San Juan, but not on Carnival. Not a huge issue, b/c she can drink in ports, but a consideration. Aside from that, which ship would you recommend, given same/similar itinerary? Looking for ship activities we'd both enjoy. It's a port-heavy itinerary. I'm married/early 50s. Need decent vegetarian food selection. Thanks!

This isn’t even close. Definitely Freedom by a looooong shot.  I mean it. This isn’t close at all. Just google image search both ships and it’ll be obvious Freedom is way better.  

But are you sure she she can drink on RCI?  I thought their policy was 21 when sailing from US ports. 

25 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

This isn’t even close. Definitely Freedom by a looooong shot.  I mean it. This isn’t close at all. Just google image search both ships and it’ll be obvious Freedom is way better.  

But are you sure she she can drink on RCI?  I thought their policy was 21 when sailing from US ports. 

Thank you so much! Yes, you're correct, but we're sailing out of San Juan, where the drinking age is 18. RC allows 18+ to drink, so long as the original port does. Other cruise lines do the same, but not Carnival.  Thanks again!

8 hours ago, travelerbug7 said:

Thank you so much! Yes, you're correct, but we're sailing out of San Juan, where the drinking age is 18. RC allows 18+ to drink, so long as the original port does. Other cruise lines do the same, but not Carnival.  Thanks again!

Your are incorrect with this. To be clear RCI has no say in drinking age policy off the ship in ports of call.  However, on board any RCI ship the drinking age policy is 21+ on all closed loop itineraries departing out of a North American departure port, of which San Juan, PR, is one.  (This would include your itinerary).  While in port and off the ship the drinking age policy would be dictated by the individual port of call you are in at the time.  But on board while in those ports the drinking age remains 21+.  

So your 20 year old cannot drink on board at any time on your itinerary with RCI.  Only off the ship in those ports of call where the drinking age would be lower by that country's policy.  This policy is enforced on board, and exceptions are not made.

There was a time with RCI where with written, verifiable parental permission 18+ was allowed to consume wine and beer on board at sea.  But that policy changed about 15 years ago.

I am also certain of this policy, which is also clearly stated in the FAQ's on the RCI website.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your are incorrect with this. To be clear RCI has no say in drinking age policy off the ship in ports of call.  However, on board any RCI ship the drinking age policy is 21+ on all closed loop itineraries departing out of a North American departure port, of which San Juan, PR, is one.  (This would include your itinerary).  While in port and off the ship the drinking age policy would be dictated by the individual port of call you are in at the time.  But on board while in those ports the drinking age remains 21+.  

So your 20 year old cannot drink on board at any time on your itinerary with RCI.  Only off the ship in those ports of call where the drinking age would be lower by that country's policy.  This policy is enforced on board, and exceptions are not made.

There was a time with RCI where with written, verifiable parental permission 18+ was allowed to consume wine and beer on board at sea.  But that policy changed about 15 years ago.

I am also certain of this policy, which is also clearly stated in the FAQ's on the RCI website.

Thank you for this!  I did know she can drink in ports where the age is 18. I had found this on this site, " The min. drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on RC ships sailing from North America is 21. On cruises departing from a country where the legal drinking age is younger than 21 (South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand), the drinking age is typically 18." I know San Juan is a part of North America, but it's ALSO a "country where the legal drinking age is younger than 21". So, my travel agent called Royal Caribbean to "verify" and was told yes, she can drink, if we sail out of San Juan. So now I'm more confused. Re-reading the statement above, I think you're correct, yet not sure why we'd be told differently by RC.  I did just find on another site that Norwegian will allow me to sign a waiver, and she can drink. Know if that's true? 

1 hour ago, travelerbug7 said:

Thank you for this!  I did know she can drink in ports where the age is 18. I had found this on this site, " The min. drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on RC ships sailing from North America is 21. On cruises departing from a country where the legal drinking age is younger than 21 (South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand), the drinking age is typically 18." I know San Juan is a part of North America, but it's ALSO a "country where the legal drinking age is younger than 21". So, my travel agent called Royal Caribbean to "verify" and was told yes, she can drink, if we sail out of San Juan. So now I'm more confused. Re-reading the statement above, I think you're correct, yet not sure why we'd be told differently by RC.  I did just find on another site that Norwegian will allow me to sign a waiver, and she can drink. Know if that's true? 

It is not uncommon to have RCI agents who make mistakes, especially for questions like this where you could interpret it both ways.  I believe that the PP was correct, and that San Juan is considered part of North America, and therefore, the drinking age would be 21.  But, if you really want to know for sure, find a Freedom roll call for a cruise that is leaving soon, and ask one of the people on that cruise to ask on the ship for you.  Many people would be willing to ask a bartender on board what the policy is.  

5 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

It is not uncommon to have RCI agents who make mistakes, especially for questions like this where you could interpret it both ways.  I believe that the PP was correct, and that San Juan is considered part of North America, and therefore, the drinking age would be 21.  But, if you really want to know for sure, find a Freedom roll call for a cruise that is leaving soon, and ask one of the people on that cruise to ask on the ship for you.  Many people would be willing to ask a bartender on board what the policy is.  

Thanks! That's a great idea! I think I've decided to just "chance' it, if I don't get a response. I'm not sure I'd be happy w/ the Carnival Fascination, and can't find other options to the islands we want to see, during our timeframe. It's not like a 20 yr old can't go w/o drinking during evening hours lol. Just disappointing, as this is to celebrate her upcoming 21st bday. Thanks all!

If its the Southern Caribbean, we did the 9 night out of Miami on Navigator two years ago.  I believe that Explorer will also be doing that itinerary, but not sure if it matches the dates you want to travel.  I have been on Freedom, and it is an amazing ship.  I am sure you and your daughter would have a great time, and maybe you just buy her a nice bottle of rum on one of the islands, and she can drink it when she gets back home after the cruise 🙂  

5 hours ago, travelerbug7 said:

Please just accept that I know for a fact that your TA is incorrect.  If you don't believe me please call RCI and ask them. It is irrelevant what the drinking age in Puerto Rico is - the policy is all North American based departure itineraries, of which San Juan, PR is one.  (Confirmed as you found on the website). She cannot drink on board anytime on your itinerary and will not be served.  If it is that important, she can drink all she wants in San Juan prior to getting on board for departure or once you depart the ship upon your return.

NCL's policy is wine and beer only with written consent of an accompanying parent by way of a waiver form provided by guest services.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

If its the Southern Caribbean, we did the 9 night out of Miami on Navigator two years ago.  I believe that Explorer will also be doing that itinerary, but not sure if it matches the dates you want to travel.  I have been on Freedom, and it is an amazing ship.  I am sure you and your daughter would have a great time, and maybe you just buy her a nice bottle of rum on one of the islands, and she can drink it when she gets back home after the cruise 🙂  

Thank you! Great idea! So I can bring rum aboard, and the ship will hold it for me until the end of the cruise, correct? Is there a limit I can bring back (we do like our rum 😉 ). Thanks for the top re. the Navigator. I don' recall seeing that one leaving around the time we want to go, but I'll check it out. Glad you had a great time on the Freedom.

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Please just accept that I know for a fact that your TA is incorrect.  If you don't believe me please call RCI and ask them. It is irrelevant what the drinking age in Puerto Rico is - the policy is all North American based departure itineraries, of which PR is one.  (Confirmed as you found on the website). She cannot drink on board anytime on your itinerary and will not be served.  If it is that important, she can drink all she wants in San Juan prior to getting on board for departure or once you depart the ship upon your return.

I did call RCI earlier today and was told the same thing. Frustrating to get two opposite answers from their staff, but it is what it is. Thanks for your help. I'm looking into the Norwegian cruises before booking, since they do allow me to sign a waiver. Not a HUGE deal, but we were hoping to celebrate her upcoming 21st bday a lil early; regardless, we still can at port. thanks again.

3 minutes ago, travelerbug7 said:

Thank you! Great idea! So I can bring rum aboard, and the ship will hold it for me until the end of the cruise, correct? Is there a limit I can bring back (we do like our rum 😉 ). Thanks for the top re. the Navigator. I don' recall seeing that one leaving around the time we want to go, but I'll check it out. Glad you had a great time on the Freedom.

You can bring as much alcohol on as personal gifts as you wish and RCI will hold if for you and deliver it to your stateroom on the last night so that you can bring it home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travelerbug7 said:

I did call RCI earlier today and was told the same thing. Frustrating to get two opposite answers from their staff, but it is what it is. Thanks for your help. I'm looking into the Norwegian cruises before booking, since they do allow me to sign a waiver. Not a HUGE deal, but we were hoping to celebrate her upcoming 21st bday a lil early; regardless, we still can at port. thanks again.

Well it is disappointing that the staff at RCI did not know the correct answer, but with 27 years experienced cruising with RCI and a direct connection to the industry I am certain of my information and if you stay with RCI she will not be able to drink on board at anytime on your itinerary if she is underage.

Again, just to be clear, the waiver with NCL is for beer and wine only.

2 hours ago, travelerbug7 said:

Check out the Explorer of the Seas cruises out of Miami.  That ship is doing 9 day Southern.  

9 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Check out the Explorer of the Seas cruises out of Miami.  That ship is doing 9 day Southern.  

thank you! Just checked it out. Unfortunately, not sailing around the time we want to go (Sep). Not that I "want" to sail in hurricane season, but.... It also isn't headed to the islands we want to see. Our interest is Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, San Juan (though I'd skip that if we could find something out of Miami headed to those ports. 

Speaking of hurricane season, am I nuts to book early Sep.? Anyone traveled then? 

44 minutes ago, travelerbug7 said:

thank you! Just checked it out. Unfortunately, not sailing around the time we want to go (Sep). Not that I "want" to sail in hurricane season, but.... It also isn't headed to the islands we want to see. Our interest is Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, San Juan (though I'd skip that if we could find something out of Miami headed to those ports. 

Speaking of hurricane season, am I nuts to book early Sep.? Anyone traveled then? 

No, you are not.  Hurricane season just means that is the time of year (June - November) that conditions are most favorable for hurricanes to develop - not that any will with certainty.  And the ship Captains will do everything in their power to sail around or away from storms such as this, or will adjust itineraries to avoid them.  Some of the islands you are looking at are more south and - as you travel further south - would be away from most hurricanes path (Antigua, St. Lucia), and Barbados is out of the hurricane zone altogether, so that reduces the risk.

We have cruised in just about every month of the year in the Caribbean and perhaps we've been lucky, but in 27 years of cruising we have never had a hurricane affect our cruise.  I would just plan the itinerary you want with the cruise line you want during the time you want and not worry about it. 

We have been to all of those islands a number of times and like all of them quite a bit.  The southern Caribbean (to include Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, Bonnaire, and Curacao) are amount our favorite itineraries.  They are most typically based out of San Juan due to their proximity for 7 night cruises.  To reach most of those from FL would require 8-9 night (and some longer) itineraries as there would be a day to and a day from added to reach that area of the Caribbean.

Enjoy whatever you decide on!

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Enjoy whatever you decide on!

Thank you so much! Your post was quite a relief. I am SO excited! I love to travel; I've been to lots of places in Europe, almost every state in the US plus, The Atlantis in the Bahamas. I can't believe I've never been on a cruise! Really looking forward to seeing these beautiful places.

Royal Caribbean’s Freedom Of The Seas is a beautiful ship and so much newer and better than The Carnival Fascination, a ship that went into service in 1994. It’s one of Carnival’s older ships that doesn’t have the bells and whistles associated with the Freedom Of The Seas. As for the liquor question no one under twenty one will be served on any Royal Caribbean ships that leave from any North American Port. Lastly, in reference to any questions you may have, if you contact Royal Caribbean and ask a simple question and call ten times you may get ten absolutely different answers. Their customer service representatives aren’t the greatest in my estimation. Some Cruise Critic posters know a lot more than they do!

Depends on what you like and you have to look at 4,300 passengers vs. 2,100 on the Fascination - as you can see from my signature, I've sailed the Fascination twice.  Yes, the ship is older, but it has lots to offer and it just had an upgrade.  Plus with the lower passengers, you don't have to wait for much and it has a more intimate feel.  Another plus is the sides and the back of the ship are open air on the Lido deck which is great on both sea and port days - great views, ocean air

I've only been on one Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise, so take this for what it's worth, I think the food is better on Carnival and the employees are much more friendlier on Carnival also.

Another thing to consider is the RC goes out of the Pan American pier - there's nothing there - it was a huge disappointment for us when we took Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.  The Fascination docks in Old Town, you step off the ship and there's great food, shopping, and history without taking a taxi.

Either way, it will be a great trip!

• Like 1

The Fascination is the first ship I ever cruised on and got me hooked - I would sail her again without any problem as I like the smaller Fantasy class ships.

To be honest, I sail itinerary more than I do ship......

• Like 1