New Captain for Quest

uktog

16 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

I'm sure Captain Filip will be excellent as a new Captain of Quest. He has been a Staff Captain on Journey for some time and I think it's great that Azamara recognises their own homegrown talent for a well deserved promotion. 

As for Stephen as CD, I have mentioned him before. He has a great voice and is a really nice guy...very guest focussed and pleasant. I don't think I have sailed with Chef Shijunath yet but I do know people who have and they thought the food onboard was wonderful.  

I rest met  Magnus as a  Staff  Captain on  the JR. He was warm and friendly then. He met his future love on Quest.  So I know they promote up-Captains, staff, CDs and chefs. 

So, we are relatively new to cruising, and I’m curious what difference the captain really makes on a ship? I mean presumably they’re well-trained etc., so is it just personalities and dinners? We are on the July 20 Quest so I hope this new guy is familiar with Alaskan waters and doesn’t skip anything good!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

So, we are relatively new to cruising, and I’m curious what difference the captain really makes on a ship? I mean presumably they’re well-trained etc., so is it just personalities and dinners? We are on the July 20 Quest so I hope this new guy is familiar with Alaskan waters and doesn’t skip anything good!

Yes that’s correct the primary issue is marine competence then skills in motivating and leading a team. Schmoozing matters to some but not all and is no 3. Not being good at No2 can also be very obvious to guests in certain circumstances. 

52 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes that’s correct the primary issue is marine competence then skills in motivating and leading a team. Schmoozing matters to some but not all and is no 3. Not being good at No2 can also be very obvious to guests in certain circumstances. 

Thanks for your reply.  The discussion here was interesting without having a great sense of the import.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, Lottie A said:

I'm sure Captain Filip will be excellent as a new Captain of Quest. He has been a Staff Captain on Journey for some time and I think it's great that Azamara recognises their own homegrown talent for a well deserved promotion. 

As for Stephen as CD, I have mentioned him before. He has a great voice and is a really nice guy...very guest focussed and pleasant. I don't think I have sailed with Chef Shijunath yet but I do know people who have and they thought the food onboard was wonderful.  

We met chef Nathan briefly last night at Prime C, very friendly. Food onboard has been good. I really liked his butter chicken!

Stephen has his second show tonight, looking forward to that.

3 hours ago, Sujormik said:

I don't think you have any worries about missing anything! My understanding from the Captain Q&A today is that there are 2 Pilots onboard for the entire cruise who are familiar with the Alaskan waters so you will be in good hands. Throughout the cruise, Captain Magnus has referred to Captain Filip as his “reliever” and confirmed today that he signs off on Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:00 AM, uktog said:

I think rather than posting what I think is happening, its better if Bonnie posts so there is no risk of the wrong messages floating around!

We spoke with Captain Magnus the other night. He is going on a holiday and will be back on Quest after a 10 week vacation.

• Like 2

For those of you who don’t get Azamara emails here’s the email about Captain Filip.

open.aspx?ffcb10-fe621672736601787117-fdcb15707463017d7516797062-fe5e157072600579721d-fe9a17747565037977-fe301772776c0178741170-ff951274

VIEW IN BROWSER CONTACT US
3294373b-090a-4016-bc8f-a8da202c3d01.png

FIND A JOURNEY   |   LUXURY CRUISE DEALS   |   

Lets Celebrate the New Master of Azamara Quest Learn More

df68e67c-d906-4843-bc41-105374b0ab4e.pngWe're proud to announce that we've promoted Azamara Journey® staff captain, Filippos Adelfoulakos, (also known as Captain Filip), to be the new Master of Azamara Quest®. Captain Filip's love for seafaring started at an early age, from sailing under his father's captaincy to joining the Merchant Marine Academy, where he received his 2nd mate's license and graduated top of his class. Shortly after, he joined Celebrity Cruises as an apprentice officer and since then, has worked his way up and across our brands' fleet.

358e0a35-da51-46c5-a885-8fd5ebc29368.jpgDuring the ten years Captain Filip has worked with Royal Caribbean's line of ships, he's shown an incredible set of talent, values, and teamwork skills, as well as provided excellent service to both guests and crew. We're delighted to now recognize his dedication by awarding him the esteemed role of ship Master.

In his new role, Captain Filip will share duties with Captain Magnus Davidson as Azamara Quest prepares to embark on several milestone voyages in 2019. He will lead the ship on unforgettable Country-Intensive Voyages to Japan and throughout Asia's hidden wonders.

Please join us in giving a well-deserved congratulations to Captain Filip, Master of Azamara Quest. We salute you and confidently place the ship, her crew, and our valued guests under your capable leadership.

Kind Regards,

cb531872-160c-4e33-baa8-1eda0647252d.png

Larry Pimentel
President and CEO 

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO MAKE A RESERVATION

Visit Us Online AZAMARACLUBCRUISES.COM
Call Us Today 1.855.AZAMARA

OR CONTACT YOUR TRAVEL ADVISOR

Explore Further

FOLLOW US ON

Facebook Instagram Twitter Pinterest
Azamara® is a proud member of the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. family of cruise lines.
Azamara // 1050 Caribbean Way // Miami, FL 33132

©2019 Azamara. Ships registered in Malta. Intended for U.S. transmission only. 

On 7/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, lovecruzin said:

Here is the Bio for Chef Nathan Shijunath

625CEFD5-72B3-4992-B212-BC4B14B625A9.jpeg

Chef Nathan is great.  He went out of his way to do something special for me last year.  He’s not new...was on  Quest last October.

Edited by catgirl398
Grammar

I am curious after reading Host Grandma Cruising's live thread on Norway how much difference it makes having a Norwegian captain for Norway cruises? 

Sure I would expect a Norwegian captain to be more knowledgable about Norway and I expect it would a little extra-special, but I would also think things like doing a 360 turn in a fjord (or even shopping for berries) would not be specific to one captain, or would they?

I know Captain Johannes has shared his local knowledge and strawberry and cheese contacts with the other captains as he can’t always do the Norway run. 

16 minutes ago, Doh15 said:

I am curious after reading Host Grandma Cruising's live thread on Norway how much difference it makes having a Norwegian captain for Norway cruises? 

Sure I would expect a Norwegian captain to be more knowledgable about Norway and I expect it would a little extra-special, but I would also think things like doing a 360 turn in a fjord (or even shopping for berries) would not be specific to one captain, or would they?

It was as much his enthusiasm and passion for his country that came across whenever he broadcast on the ship. He talked a lot, too - not just the lunch-time broadcast, but whenever anything interesting was coming up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Doh15 said:

We enjoyed the 360 degree turn although Captain Johannes being in charge.

But I do imagine that he shares his knowledge of the area and possible activities.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Quest with Captain Fillip. Great addition! He is friendly, amusing  and quite handsome! He did a great job of maneuvering the ship close to Hubbard Glacier on a clear day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tango9 said:

Just off the Quest with Captain Fillip. Great addition! He is friendly, amusing  and quite handsome! He did a great job of maneuvering the ship close to Hubbard Glacier on a clear day

Thank you tango9...I can’t wait to meet him!