Noisiest/quietest penthouses on Insignia

Roccaforte

Have to make a decision by next week.  We are in a category PH3 but would be willing to go to PH2 or PH1 if necessary.

All of deck 9 seems to be public space.  We normally avoid this but can’t on these ships.  Any experience in these cabins???

7 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

Have to make a decision by next week.  We are in a category PH3 but would be willing to go to PH2 or PH1 if necessary.

All of deck 9 seems to be public space.  We normally avoid this but can’t on these ships.  Any experience in these cabins???

Unfortunately our PH1 is under Waves and at around 4pm and 9-10pm it's quite loud with the thuds and booms of chairs being moved and dropped! If you want no noise then avoid this location. 

49 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Unfortunately our PH1 is under Waves and at around 4pm and 9-10pm it's quite loud with the thuds and booms of chairs being moved and dropped! If you want no noise then avoid this location. 

Am I correct that since the refit the PH's don't have a bath any more just a large walk in shower?

9 hours ago, Darspurs said:

Am I correct that since the refit the PH's don't have a bath any more just a large walk in shower?

That's correct...it can fit 2-3 people! (Not saying that you need to have that many in there, though).  😂

It's very nice and we have a shower stool in it too (great for days with "motion of the ocean" and for shaving legs).

Recently, we were in 8001.  There was noise from the hallway.  This cabin is right next to the door that some of the crew uses to go to their cabins.  The door would slam and sometimes people would stop to talk to each other.  They must change shifts around 5:30 am.  We were woken up several times.  

2 hours ago, katz said:

Recently, we were in 8001.  There was noise from the hallway.  This cabin is right next to the door that some of the crew uses to go to their cabins.  The door would slam and sometimes people would stop to talk to each other.  They must change shifts around 5:30 am.  We were woken up several times.  

I would complain to the Captain 😁

On the other hand, PH3 8000 is on the opposite side of the ship from the above noisy 8001.  Crew do not use that corridor to go forward; only officers.  Above your head is the computer and/or games room, neither of which involves noise or foot-traffic.  

We've sailed in 8000 twice out of eleven cruises, and it's our favorite location of all.  8002 next door is also nice, but then you do have other guests on both sides of you which doubles the potential for late-night loud TV entertaining you through the wall.  8004 is about as far aft as you can go before you're underneath the pool deck with its attendant scraping of lounges, etc.  

• 7 months later...

8063 and 8065 are Fine, little noise. Anything forward of that on starboard is problematic until after Waves. 8055 and 8057 can be horrible with the sounds of carts rolled over your head a 03:00! Under Waves is perhaps the worst on warm weather cruises. Cruisers out at 5:30-6:00 dragging chairs around!

31 minutes ago, the_travel_locks said:

Hi ATSEAMYLIFE, just wondering how did you find 8001 in December with regards to location, noise and movement? Cheers

It was fine.  It's nice and private at the end of the hallway.  The door outside goes into the Officer's area and the cruise director's cabin is next door.  We heard a little low volume music in the early AM when I assume he was getting up.  But nothing bad.  

It's an easy walk up/down the stairs that are just outside and around the corner.  Never heard anything from above.  Movement is problematic on a ship this small.  All in all I would book it again.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

8063 and 8065 are Fine, little noise. Anything forward of that on starboard is problematic until after Waves. 8055 and 8057 can be horrible with the sounds of carts rolled over your head a 03:00! Under Waves is perhaps the worst on warm weather cruises. Cruisers out at 5:30-6:00 dragging chairs around!

Hmmm ... granted it's a long time ago but our first cruise on Oceania was in 8057 on Regatta (Jan-Feb 2004).  I don't recall hearing anything like what you describe.  Maybe I was a heavier sleeper back then ...

34 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

It was fine.  It's nice and private at the end of the hallway.  The door outside goes into the Officer's area and the cruise director's cabin is next door.  We heard a little low volume music in the early AM when I assume he was getting up.  But nothing bad.  

It's an easy walk up/down the stairs that are just outside and around the corner.  Never heard anything from above.  Movement is problematic on a ship this small.  All in all I would book it again.  

Thanks - this is very helpful. Cheers

I just remembered no problems from back then ... and my diary did not reveal any.  But we are all different in what we hear.

And yes, Regatta was much newer then ... as opposed to when you were on -- which ship?  I doubt that matters much (I mean which ship). 

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong ... just back in the beginning days we were very happy in that suite.  Would we be today?  I have no idea!

In general, I've seen posts in the past year or so that complained about noise in cabins we'd been in some time before ... and we never had a problem.  Maybe it's more the age of the ships these days than anything else.

Mura