Cabin Selection

SailorMan20

Good Morning Y'all. I booked My cabin a week ago in the B9 Category. It's on Deck 15 on the Encore. It's a Balcony with thermal spa Cabin. I am thinking about changing it to either a M9 category cabin. Mini Suite with a Balcony with a thermal spa access Same Deck 15. I am also looking at the B1 category. Aft Facing Balcony cabin. Which of those 3 category which would You choose and why? I am a first time cruiser and I know nothing about cruiseships.

The mini doesn't offer much over a balcony, except a larger bathroom.   Have you priced out the aft balcony, if it is a large one you can't go wrong.  Also you can figure out if you do want thermal access how much more you'd be paying by adding the pass for the week.  My opinion would be to leave off looking at the mini suites and go with either balcony.  Just be sure you're not under or over a large public area, ie theather/club/disco or pool deck.

18 hours ago, Sean_B said:

From what I've read and heard, aft balconies have a problem with engine soot. I'm not sure how bad it would be.

As a blanket statement, this is incorrect.  From direct experience, we've had aft facing staterooms a number of times on several different ships and have not had an issue with this.  They are actually often some of the more sought out locations, usually at a premium price, because of their unique aft facing view and, on many ships, a larger balcony than standard.  On a number of ships this is where some of the most expensive suites are located. (ex.: RCI Oasis and Quantum class ships, Celebrity Millennium class ships).  This would be rather counter intuitive if soot were an issue in those locations.

Any random particulate incinerator residue that may occur would be intermittent based on those clearing cycles and would be dependent on relative wind strength and direction for anything that may land back on the ship, which if present, could be cleared by the ship's maintenance staff.

In other words, I would not hesitate to reserve an aft facing stateroom if the view and location was what I wanted, and would not be concerned about any potential soot issue.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Sean_B said:

From what I've read and heard, aft balconies have a problem with engine soot. I'm not sure how bad it would be.

With modern engines, especially on newer ships, this should not be an issue. This was way more prevalent on older diesel engines and especially on steam ships, when the engineers blew the tubes, however with warning the Bridge would alter course so exhaust went over the side.

In the unlikely event of incomplete combustion causing soot, the ship's speed and wind force/direction must also be considered, as engine gases are exhausted based on the resultant vector. Only when the wind is ahead or astern would aft cabins be affected.  

• 3 weeks later...

Aft facing balcony provides a peaceful quiet view looking at the wake. I have been in two aft balcony suites with two different lines and have never seen soot, smoke, or anything.  My choice would be aft balcony for you

Edited by AF-1

On NCL? Thermal spa balcony, no questions about it.  Norwegian didn't really do a great job with their pool decks....they're always, ALWAYS way too crowded.  When I sail NCL, I either get the spa pass, or a room that includes the spa pass so I can use the hydrotherapy pool in peace.  🙂  As far as location on the ship, it makes no difference to me......then again, I also said guarateed interior a lot of the time.