Horseshoe Beach

RedRox

Hi all,

Β 

Few quick questions:

Β 

We will be come on the Adventure of the Seas.Β  Where does it dock in Bermuda?

Also, do you recommend the public bus, or the shuttle van to get to Horseshoe Beach? How long is each one to get there, and what is the cost? Is it cheaper to purchase round-trip fare? Is there covering at the beach for rain, and is there food/drinks to purchase? Is there entrance fee?Β Β 

Β 

Also, is there shopping near the cruise port? Thanks!

Adventure of the Seas docks at the Royal Naval Dockyard on the far western side of the island. The minibus vans to Horseshoe will be the quickest and easiest-- especially since they take you down an incline that the public bus does not. In addition to the minibus and public bus you could also hire a private taxi if you have a bigger group.Β The minibuses are $14 round trip from the Dockyard.Β 

Β 

Its a public beach so there is no entrance fee. There is a concession for food, drinks, umbrellas and chairs for hire. I would suggest bringing your towels from the ship.Β There is not much covering in case of badΒ weather except for up at the concession area-- certainly not enough to shelter the throngs of people that can be there. The Fairmont Southampton Hotel is nearby-- we've gone up there for drinks later in the day before.

Β 

There is plenty of shopping near the ships in the Dockyard-- the place itself is a bit of an outdoor/indoor mall set within a historic Royal Navy base. Shopping trends towards more touristy nicknacks. There is better shopping in Hamilton.Β 

Edited by princeton123211
sp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRox said:

Β 

Β 

the shuttle van to get to Horseshoe Beach? How long is each one to get there, and what is the cost? Is it cheaper to purchase round-trip fare?Β 

Β 

For the shuttle vans you pay the driver $7 per person when your ride is completed. There is no round trip option. Each ride is one way.Β 

If you have 6 people then a taxi is the same price as the van shuttle and will depart immediately.Β  This can be important.Β  The chair and umbrella rental place opens at 9am.Β  Get there early. The line gets to be an hour long and many people give up and lay their town down on the sand. Bring TWO towels!Β  Also the rentals are very expensive. Over $50 for 2 chairs and an umbrella.

Β 

But the beach is beautiful.Β  Enjoy it will low crowds early and leave by noon when the crowds get bad.

Β 

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

If you have 6 people then a taxi is the same price as the van shuttle and will depart immediately.Β  This can be important.Β  The chair and umbrella rental place opens at 9am.Β  Get there early. The line gets to be an hour long and many people give up and lay their town down on the sand. Bring TWO towels!Β  Also the rentals are very expensive. Over $50 for 2 chairs and an umbrella.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Two sand chairs and an umbrella is $43. Two lounge chairs and an umbrella are exactly $50. They carry the chairs for you and dig a hole to hold the umbrella.Β I was there both days I was in BermudaΒ a couple of weeks ago and did not have an hour long wait either day. I left the Dockyard around 8:45 the second day. The first day I arrived around 1:00.Β 

Β 

If people have 4 or more in their group I think a taxi is well worth it even if it is a few bucks more per person than the vansΒ because they somehow carryΒ 30 people in those vans now. With 1-4 the taxi fare is about $33 and 5-7 the taxi fare is about $43.Β 

Edited by Charles4515

The rates went up then... last week two sand chairs were $42 and two sand chairs plus umbrella was over $50.Β  And the wait was 30 minutes by 9:30 and over an hour by 10:30.Β  It was a mob scene.Β  Taxi is metered but ended up at $42 which was strangely exactly what the shuttle would have cost. But we added a tip of course.

1 minute ago, PelicanBill said:

The rates went up then... last week two sand chairs were $42 and two sand chairs plus umbrella was over $50.Β  And the wait was 30 minutes by 9:30 and over an hour by 10:30.Β  It was a mob scene.Β  Taxi is metered but ended up at $42 which was strangely exactly what the shuttle would have cost. But we added a tip of course.

Β 

I tip the shuttle van driver a $1. The first day the driver dropped me off at Warwick so I tipped the van drivers more for that. I also tip the beach attendant who carries the chair and umbrella because I have them carry the chairs as far as they are allowed to away from the facilities. I took a photo of their booth with the rental prices so I would not have to rely on memory. That was taken on June 12.Β 

Β 

Β 

540046A2-0E65-4388-8950-820EAFAB6E74.jpeg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mjthecruiser said:

Was the taxi $42 one way? How many people fit?

Β 

Fares are one way. For 1-4 the taxi fare is about $33 and for 5-7 the taxi fare is about $43 except Sunday which has a surcharge.Β The limit is 7. Most taxis can take up to 7.Β 

D34E61A3-9351-4D75-B8D5-F7475D8EA7BF.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Β 

Beautiful! Β Thanks for sharing! Β Do you mind if I ask how much a drone like yours runs? Β 

I fly a DJI Mavic 2 Pro with the smart controller. That package is about 2K. If your thinking of getting your first drone I would look at either the DJI Spark (Cheapest) or the Mavic Air

15 hours ago, Sailaway Pat said:

On the video it looks like you can see fish while snorkeling. Β Is this to the right or the left whenΒ facing the ocean?

Yes, the first fish are from snorkeling around the Vixen. The second part was a reef farther out, I forget exactly where we went