Nesspresso machines

Fionatritton

According to the P&O FAQs, coffee machines cannot be taken on board 

Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothes irons, water heaters, coffee machines

Yes they must do as you put cold water in. It’s not an issue, I like a coffee in the morning when sitting on my hotel balcony as I’m an early riser but too lazy to get dressed beforehand. As there’s no luggage restriction and my machine is small I thought I might stick it in the luggage as I’m more likely to use it than a hairdryer lol. Can you get an espresso from room service at 6am ?

9 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

They have freshly ground coffee machines in the buffet now. I know this doesn’t help the OP but I thought it might interest someone.

Certainly interests me - the coffee served in the MDRs is disgusting and that's an alternative!

If you are a coffee lover you really need to make arrangements to take your own. The complimentary coffee onboard is, in my opinion, vile. The Costa coffee which you pay for is OK but the milk they use in it makes it taste a bit weird, nothing like you get on land. I always make sure I take my own coffee with me.

We take an Aeropress, it makes really good coffee and doesn't require electricity.  They only cost £25-£30, nice and light to carry and use ground coffee.  You can stock up on extra milk from the buffet.

P&O restrict the use of electrical items for a good reason and their rules should be followed, they are there to protect everyone.

18 minutes ago, rdmaidment said:

We take an Aeropress, it makes really good coffee and doesn't require electricity.  They only cost £25-£30, nice and light to carry and use ground coffee.  You can stock up on extra milk from the buffet.

P&O restrict the use of electrical items for a good reason and their rules should be followed, they are there to protect everyone.

I read good things about the Aeropress - good idea.

I’ll put in another recommendation for the Aeropress.  Great coffee

If you take one make sure you take something to allow you to dispose of the grounds, which pack down to a solid-ish disc.  Not the sort of thing to flush and not nice to fling, unwrapped, into the waste bin, where it would disintegrate messily

I too am a Nespresso addict and I've yet to have a decent cup of coffee in either the buffet or the MDR.  I don't know what they use in the buffet but it bares little resemblance to coffee.  I can get a reasonable cup of coffee in Costa if I ask for a double espresso plus a jug of hot milk - I like my Nespresso with hot not cold milk.  I do get an odd look when I ask that the double espresso is put in a slightly larger cup as if it's in a normal espresso cup there's no room for the hot milk!   I did have one go at taking an Aeropress but I found getting rid of the grounds a very messy procedure and gave up.  Now I resign myself that I can't get a decent cup of coffee on board P&O - and when I was on the 65 night Aurora South American cruise I really missed my coffee.  The best I've been able to do is to take either  filter bags or the best instant I can find.  We have had a mini suite or suite on occasions when you get a Senseo machine which has sort of tea bag like coffee bags.  I've never been able to get it hot or strong enough but it's a bit better than the P&O offering.  I know, I'm fussy but I really do miss my coffee, and before someone suggests it I rarely drink tea.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:36 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Depends on whether or not they contain an electric heating element.

Hahaha 😂🤣😂 I really laughed at that! Unfortunately I don’t think the OP got your sense of humour! Heated pants!!!!! 

Edited by Goosebear Mum

On 7/1/2019 at 7:36 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Depends on whether or not they contain an electric heating element.

Hair dryers contain heating elements, but I have never seen any embargo on ladies bringing their own; of course if they did it would probably lead to a major conflict and one which they could never win, which is maybe why the cruise lines avoid such a confrontation.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

They do, and it's one of the reasons we always have a suite. Saves a small fortune buying coffee on the ship.

Brilliant, and I bring my travel mug so I can take drinks with me to different venues.

20 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Hahaha 😂🤣😂 I really laughed at that! Unfortunately I don’t think the OP got your sense of humour! Heated pants!!!!! 

I wasn’t quite sure and as I’m new here I didn’t think I’d show off my emergency services humour 🤣 

thanks for all the tips, I’m going to just buy a tin of decent instant espresso and keep my fingers crossed that as a cruise virgin on a guaranteed fare with a wedding party we might score an upgrade to a suite - as the bride and groom don’t want to move from the room they have selected - even for a suite 😲

I know this is a HUGE compromise but Lavazza do a Caffè Espresso which is almost acceptable. We bought it from one of the large supermarkets when we were back in the UK; we were absolutely desperate for some good coffee. You're never going to get good espresso coffee without  a 'proper' macchina but it's better than most others. We have a suite on Azura in August and it looks like we have a Senseo machine so we might be ok......just about! 

• 5 weeks later...