Seasick patch or no?

CarolineAnne

Hello everyone!

I’m setting sale on my first cruise in 578 days (but who’s counting?!? 😉)

My husband, 2 daughters and I (along with hubby’s parents and his sister) will be on the Carnival Breeze Feb 2021 for 8 days and stopping in St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan, and Grand Turk. 

I live in a landlocked state (our lakes can’t compare to the ocean!) And I’m wondering if I need to go all out and get a rx for the patch. 

The closest experience I have to a cruise was a ferry ride, I believe in Puget Sound in Washington State? Else it was from Washington to Victoria, BC. It was very windy and the water was choppy. This was a good 15 years ago. I didn’t feel sick, but I experienced horrible vertigo and could not stand or walk without holding onto something. Other experiences with vertigo involve being in a 100 year old cabin with uneven flooring  for a week. When standing on those uneven areas, vertigo would hit me. I was last in that vertigo inducing cabin about 3 years ago. 

The last time I flew I had no problems (also about 15 years ago.) I can ride rollercoasters without issues. But I can’t do carousels, nor reading in moving vehicles. 

Based on these past experiences, do you cruising pros think it would be wise to assume the worst and get the patch? And does the patch even do anything for vertigo?

Being on a very large cruise ship is nothing like being on a ferry.   They are very stable, and most of the time you will not even realize you are moving.  I have vertigo, and suffered no problems on any cruise.  Before you run out and get patches, maybe just ask your physician for a prescription for Meclizine  which you already might have for your vertigo.  This is an inexpensive medicine, (I bought 50 pills for about 75 cents) for the nausea sensation.  You can have that as a backup. 

If you do experience some nausea, green apples from the buffet, ginger candy or crystalized ginger will help with that, getting outside on the promenade deck to look out at the horizon are all things that will help naturally.  Eat something!! Toast, crackers and other dry things will help because you do not want to have an empty stomach.

Seriously, I can't read in a car, I no longer can do the swing ride at carnivals nor watch trains while stopped at a crossing  but I have no problems on cruise ships!!swing-carousel-at-county-fair-william-ku

Another thing to do to rid yourself of dizziness episodes is to 'reset' the crystals in your ear.  My doctor gave me exercises to do that actually do help.  You might want to ask your physician about that as well.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 1

Just understand that the patch (which is a timed release scopolamine) has a very long list of potential side effects.  While most will not suffer most of these side effects, many do experience dry mouth (not the worse thing on a cruise) and quite a few will experience some minor vision problems which can inhibit those who love to read.  Most cruise line physicians will not give out those patches but rather tend to stick with basic meclizine (Bonine is the over-the-counter brand name) or use some stronger prescription drugs when it is necessary.    We know some cruisers that swear by the patches but no others who will no longer touch the things (including DW and myself) because of past side effects.

Hank

• Like 1

I will second Hank's remarks regarding the patch, and some of the side effects of scopolamine are hallucinations and vertigo, so if you are prone to vertigo, I would stay far away from the patch, but then again, I've never played a doctor on TV.

Comparing previous experience in WA on a ferry to a potential cruise will not provide a reasonable potential of how you will handle an ocean cruise.

Car ferry service between Seattle & Victoria ceased many, many years ago, with the only service being small high speed, passenger only catamarans. The stability characteristics and ride bear no resemblance to that of a cruise ship.  They do have car service on a small and older ship between Port Angeles & Victoria. I have operated sister ships and know that they don't have stabalisers and again vehicle ferries have different stability characteristics than cruise ships. WSF also provide service, but they go to Sidney, not Victoria.

For remedies, my wife uses a number of solutions based on the conditions. She starts with the wristbands, (sea bands) which require a little trial & error for 1st time users to get them correctly positioned. They may also have some affect on vertigo. Next remedy is Meclizine/Dramamine. For rough weather she does carry a supply of patches, which are available in Canada OTC. Fortunately, she has no significant side affects from either medication.

We just completed two 9-day transatlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2. We only felt the ship moving on one morning, and it was subtle. Still, I saw a lot of patches behind people's ears. I don't think they needed them but they were worried about being without them if they needed them.

There are SO many remedies for motion sickness....you may very well not need anything.  I wouldn't do the patches unless absolutely necessary.....they are really strong, and can cause issues if you don't really require that level of treatment.    The ship is unlike a ferry....as far as motion goes.  Do you have issues in cars or on amusement rides?  If not, you'll most likely be ok.  If so, there are things like meclazine, or other OTC medications that work well for adults.

I'd say no. Buy some OTC anti nausea meds & the sea bands (a acupressure method of controlling se sickness).  You should be fine.  

Do speak to your doctor but unless you have a known history of motion sickness the strong drugs will make you sicker then the sea.  

On 7/2/2019 at 6:29 AM, chengkp75 said:

I will second Hank's remarks regarding the patch, and some of the side effects of scopolamine are hallucinations and vertigo, so if you are prone to vertigo, I would stay far away from the patch, but then again, I've never played a doctor on TV.

This is why they are not longer over the counter.

As I understand it, the hallucinations come from extended use.   So it would be smart to take it off while in port.

But overall, talk to your doctor about them.  You sort of have to, to get the prescription. 😄

The patches make me hallucinate within an hour of application. I can't use scopolamine at all. And I am deeply grateful to the pharmacist who strongly suggest I try the medication for the first time when I was safely at home.

I use wrist bands to control my motion sickness, with meclizine when the seas are particularly rough.  

An additional tip -- take your chosen remedy the minute you feel "off". Don't wait for the nausea to start. 

Edited by Bizmark'sMom
Added a thought.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

Being on a very large cruise ship is nothing like being on a ferry.   They are very stable, and most of the time you will not even realize you are moving.  I have vertigo, and suffered no problems on any cruise.  Before you run out and get patches, maybe just ask your physician for a prescription for Meclizine  which you already might have for your vertigo.  This is an inexpensive medicine, (I bought 50 pills for about 75 cents) for the nausea sensation.  You can have that as a backup. 

If you do experience some nausea, green apples from the buffet, ginger candy or crystalized ginger will help with that, getting outside on the promenade deck to look out at the horizon are all things that will help naturally.  Eat something!! Toast, crackers and other dry things will help because you do not want to have an empty stomach.

I believe the OP is sailing out of Florida - Meclizine is sold over the counter there; it can be bought under the brand name Bonine, or from the pharmacist as Meclizine.   You can usually get the "house brand" sold by the various drug stores as well.   I speak from experience, having purchased it there, as I still get sick, whether on planes, trains, cruise ships or automobiles, and it works like a dream for me.   It's always best to check with your physician, though, because there may be side effects from other medications being taken.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

Just some additional info about Meclizine HCL which is widely available in the USA without a prescription.  It is sold over the counter is most pharmacies under the brand names Bonine or Dramamine Non-Drowsy Formula.  Those products generally sell for 40 - 50 cents per tablet and one tablet is generally good for about 24 hours.  But if you want to save some money simply go to a discount pharmacy such as Walmart, Target or Costco and ask the pharmacist if they sell generic Meclizine.  Buying this way is very inexpensive (we purchased 100 Meclizine for about $6 at Target) and it is the same thing as the brand names.

Hank

• Like 2

No

I am extremely prone to motion sickness and Meclizine HCL, aka Bonine works perfectly fine - for me.  Dramamine makes me a little tired and only works ~6 hours and the scop patch puts me to sleep the first day plus, loopy after than and the worst case of dry mouth I've ever had.  And god forbid you accidentally scratch/rub it and then your eyes!

Depending on when you are sailing, that itinerary will be relatively smooth and nothing compared to your west coast experience

A good test is find a water park with a wave pool.  Go out on the water in a float and see how you feel.  I can last about 5 minutes in a wave pool.  I can go all day in a floating river.  

Other than turning out to be allergic to scopolamine, the patches worked great.  My doc had cautioned me not to touch my face, rub my eyes or anything else after touching the patch since it would transfer the medication and cause the above listed side effects.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:34 PM, Harley52 said:

Just bring gravol in the event you don't get your sea legs.

OP - Gravol is the Canadian version of Dramamine

Interesting fact - Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) breaks down into Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) and another salt

I have never used a patch for seasickness, and I do get sick (without vomiting).

The things that helped me in the past and I tend to stick to them are:

Ginger Ale (slow sips)

Peppermint oil,

Wrist bands for acupressure,

Crackers, bread, cheese, light food.... keeping my stomach full with starchy food instead of liquids, stews, meat and greasy food really helps,

I don't drink coffee or fizzy drinks when I am seasick (only Ginger Ale)

I lie down if I feel dizzy, sleep a little bit and I am usually OK after the nap,

In the worst scenario I take a Dramamine or a Bonine.

I am such a wuss when it comes to motion sickness - I can't do any rides at a carnival, and I hate going out on our local lake in a boat, but I love cruising. Only one morning in 7 cruises have I felt any nausea, so I took a Bonine and was fine immediately. Gravol makes me very sleepy, but the natural ginger gravol is supposed to work too. We can't buy Bonine in Canada, so I picked it up in Walmart in the states before we boarded the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has a long history of motion sickness. 53 cruises ago she relied on the patch which resulted in blurred vision and other side effects. She on some occasions needed to go to the ship doctor to get a shot but that meant a day in bed. After some attempts she was prescribed Meclizine which worked wonders with no side effect for her. She could drink alcohol with not side effects. Later that drug no longer required a Rx so she purchases the tablets 25 mg 100 tablets from our local supermarket pharmacy for $5 for bottle of 100. Has Been a reliable med and she typically may take 1 every 3 or 4 hrs although it's suggest 1 every 8 hrs. This has worked for over 20 years on cruise, planes, buses. Recommend highly.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:47 PM, mikenbon said:

I am such a wuss when it comes to motion sickness - I can't do any rides at a carnival, and I hate going out on our local lake in a boat, but I love cruising. Only one morning in 7 cruises have I felt any nausea, so I took a Bonine and was fine immediately. Gravol makes me very sleepy, but the natural ginger gravol is supposed to work too. We can't buy Bonine in Canada, so I picked it up in Walmart in the states before we boarded the ship.

The active ingredent in bonine is Meclizine which is available from pharmacist @ %$5 for bottle of 100