Aft grand suite on Serenade

We are on the Serenade now. Just left Barbados with the assistance of a tug boat and crane.

We booked this cruise a year ago and were told to grab 1600 because it was the best cabin on the ship. I had reservations about the long walk. We tried to change cabins when we saw how far a walk it was. There were nothing available.

I don't think it's all that its cracked up to be. We counted 150 paces from the corridor to the elevator. It is a big cabin, but I found the GS bathroom on the Adventure to be much more spacious. The bathtub is unusually tall and the shower curtain is the same sort of affair that we used to encounter in smaller shower-only bathrooms. They are the kind that stick to the bather; they are not weighted to keep them from doing so.

The seas have been unusually rough this cruise. Lots of rain and wind. We were lucky when we were ashore. For the most part, it stayed dry, but we had jackets and an umbrella just in case.

The taxi drivers and tour guides are brazenly agressive in Antigua. It was almost scary how pushy they are.

The Serenade is a beautiful ship. The food has been quite good, surprisingly. Chops was great. We are going there tomorrow night as well.

Haven't seen any shows. The solarium pool was nice, but will be mobbed tomorrow, which is a sea day.

People are tending to follow suggested dress codes, although we have seen it all in the dining room!

There are some of the most darling and well behaved children and parents on this ship.

I am using cyber cabin and have been having trouble posting all week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this one will go through....

Judy

Judy, thanks for the post! We are sailing the Serenade in April and I love hearing everything I can about her. Glad the ship is beautiful and the food good.

We too have had an aft cabin, and would not choose one again. Same reason, plus we missed looking down directly into the water; it is good there are choices for all of us, and we live and learn to do what is best for each of us.

I am glad the rains stopped for your port days. One more day! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

These boards have been driving us all nuts for the last few days. They have been updating computer stuff and are getting the glitches out.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Have a good day at sea!

Sheffie,

We are on the Serenade in April also! I booked our first Aft cabin and have a couple of questions. Why would you not book it again? What do you mean you can not look down to the water? Should I change to a regular balcony?

Royal Caribbean's web site says that the Grand Suites on the Serenade range from 358-384 sq. ft. Does anyone know if the aft suite is the bigger or smaller dimension? How about 1554, the GS on the hump?

Thanks in advance,

Susan

Sheffie,

We are on the Serenade in April also! I booked our first Aft cabin and have a couple of questions. Why would you not book it again? What do you mean you can not look down to the water? Should I change to a regular balcony?

Mom, I was on the Splendour of the Seas and our aft cabin looked down on another deck directly below us. Also, it was a long way back to the cabin if I forgot anything! The balcony was larger than the regular balconies, and my DH slept out there a couple of nights (2 good things). I don't know what the aft of the Serenade looks like, but here is a picture of http://community.webshots.com/photo/527685047/1527704895083281049ShNkBd and from http://community.webshots.com/photo/530801710/1531043262083281049cumzam our aft cabin:

I just did a search on webshots and found these pictures of the aft of Serenade. http://community.webshots.com/photo/81761298/1081762029036402945LJMZGP http://community.webshots.com/photo/106851780/1106907301052646639WPafXn http://community.webshots.com/photo/106851780/1106907343052646639YhePCK# She doesn't have the same type of aft as Splendour does, her's doesn't have that decking below the balconies, but it doesn't look as if they don't look directly down into the water. There would be a better view of the ship's wake on Serenade than we had on Splendour.

From the deck plans it looks like Serenade's aft balconies are deeper than the other balconies.

As with any other cabin decision, you need book what is most important for YOU. My ideas are NOT the ones that the majority of people have. You will have a fabulous time!

Oh, are you on our cruise?

Michelle

Sheffie,

Mom, I was on the Splendour of the Seas and our aft cabin looked down on another deck directly below us. Also, it was a long way back to the cabin if I forgot anything! The balcony was larger than the regular balconies, and my DH slept out there a couple of nights (2 good things). I don't know what the aft of the Serenade looks like, but here is a picture of http://community.webshots.com/photo/527685047/1527704895083281049ShNkBd and from http://community.webshots.com/photo/530801710/1531043262083281049cumzam our aft cabin:

I just did a search on webshots and found these pictures of the aft of Serenade. http://community.webshots.com/photo/81761298/1081762029036402945LJMZGP

http://community.webshots.com/photo/106851780/1106907301052646639WPafXn

http://community.webshots.com/photo/106851780/1106907343052646639YhePCK She doesn't have the same type of aft as Splendour does, her's doesn't have that decking below the balconies, but it doesn't look as if they don't look directly down into the water. There would be a better view of the ship's wake on Serenade than we had on Splendour.

From the deck plans it looks like Serenade's aft balconies are deeper than the other balconies.

As with any other cabin decision, you need book what is most important for YOU. My ideas are NOT the ones that the majority of people have. You will have a fabulous time!

Oh, are you on our cruise?

Michelle

Thanks for the update, Judy! Hope you're still having a great time!

We love the aft because we can see the ship's wake - although the view isn't straight down, when you look out, you can see the trail the ship is leaving as she cuts through the water, and it's really quite gorgeous. Really, how much straight down looking do you do, anyway? It would hurt my neck! :D The long walk only hurts late at night.

As for 1600, I wouldn't book it again unless if either of the aft JS cabins, 1100 or 1602, were available (of course it's only the 2 of us travelling, for 3 or 4 I might do it). We've been on Brilliance (sister ship), so the layout is the same - kinda strange. There's a lovely entryway with a comfy chair (in case you're too tired from the walk down the hall to make it to the sofa, I guess). The bathroom is very nicely appointed w/marble & a full tub, lots of space so you don't knock your knees on anything. The closet placement is just odd - it's tucked away next to the bed, and two people will trip over each other getting ready at the same time. DH & I were constantly bumping into each other. I haven't been in any other GS, so I don't know where the closets are, but I think the odd layout is because of the location of the cabin.

The balcony is nice & large, but 1602 and 1100 have larger balconies. They have walk-in closets, too, and plenty of room to maneuver around each other. The bathrooms are smaller, but there's room for one, and really, nobody else gets in there when I'm in there, so two sinks aren't better than one.

I realize that all of this is kinda nitpicky, but for the money, I think the aft JS (if you're ok with the walk) is a better bargain. Especially now that we're Diamond level C&A & get all the suite perks no matter where we book!

As for 1600, I wouldn't book it again unless if either of the aft JS cabins, 1100 or 1602, were available (of course it's only the 2 of us travelling, for 3 or 4 I might do it).

The balcony is nice & large, but 1602 and 1100 have larger balconies. They have walk-in closets, too, and plenty of room to maneuver around each other. The bathrooms are smaller, but there's room for one, and really, nobody else gets in there when I'm in there, so two sinks aren't better than one.

I realize that all of this is kinda nitpicky, but for the money, I think the aft JS (if you're ok with the walk) is a better bargain. Especially now that we're Diamond level C&A & get all the suite perks no matter where we book!

I'm so glad to hear this - I have 1602 on Serenade in March and am really looking forward to it.

Why the tug boat and crane to leave Barbados? I think when we were there last we sailed out like normal? You sure that tugboat isn't the Pilot Boat leading you out to sea?

Jimbo:)

There was an oil spill in the harbor and we had to dock on the other side. We were tied up on the rocks on one side (thus the crane) and the tug boat took the line of the ship and dragged us out. We watched it from our balcony and we took photos. I know the difference between a pilot boat and a tugboat:)

Judy

Archived