NCL Cruise App

Voelfgar

From what I understand (just from reading the boards, haven't actually used it yet) you pay 9.95 + -  per device to connect to the text/call within the ship.  So each device you want to use would have to connect and pay the fee.

No login is required. Once the USD$9.95 is paid you can access any other phone that has paid for the service on the ship if you have their number. You can also make phone calls and send photos. The app is very useful if you aren't attached at the hip. We did have some problems where there were black spots but definitely still worth it.

As others have stated each phone using the service has to pony up the $9.95 USD to send/receive texts.  It uses the ship's WiFi so there's no need for a cellular carrier.

Good luck!  We've used it aboard the Breakaway & Getaway with decent results.

13 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

As others have stated each phone using the service has to pony up the $9.95 USD to send/receive texts.  It uses the ship's WiFi so there's no need for a cellular carrier.

Good luck!  We've used it aboard the Breakaway & Getaway with decent results.

Does the time on the app count against your internet package?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Contessa30 said:

Does the time on the app count against your internet package?  Thanks!

No, it does not.  It is separate.  We got off the Bliss last week and several of our group had the NCL cruise app.  It works really well but is a separate charge for the length of the cruise.  $9:95 + for one week cruise per phone,  internet credit is totally separate.

Highly recommend the NCL app as you can both text and call a person.  We found it very useful,

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, Voelfgar said:

How does the chat and messaging work? Does each person need their own login?

Another question on the app - just read that you give NCL access to your photos etc.  Someone stated that several photos that looked like the ones taken on the ship - like on the staircase, were deleted from their phone and they were unable to get them back.  Do you give access to when signing up for the app?  We are cruising with 4 other couples and the app would be convenient but we have concerns.

Here's the printed guide, available onboard, explained in details. App used only ship's free inTRAnet, not internet, won't deduct your 30/60/100 or 250+ minutes for web browsing or email, etc.

Screenshot_20190112-180718.png

Collage 2018-11-02 14_27_25.jpg

Collage 2018-11-02 14_29_06.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Another question on the app - just read that you give NCL access to your photos etc.  Someone stated that several photos that looked like the ones taken on the ship - like on the staircase, were deleted from their phone and they were unable to get them back.  Do you give access to when signing up for the app?  We are cruising with 4 other couples and the app would be convenient but we have concerns.

I just checked my app permissions, and I denied permissions to my photos.  That means it does want/ask for permission.  I would have uninstalled it had I not been able to deny access.

The app when used with intranet (not internet) is free.  However my suggestion is if you are not familiar with the process just go to the Internet cafe and ask them to set you up.  

I found the instruction not as useful as it could be.

Not every screen is shown, causing confusion.  Sometimes the functionality has a huge time lag, making you wonder what is going on.  One crucial screen only appears once on initial set up and if you miss touch one thing it’s gone.  The app is updated so very frequently even the on board internet manager can’t always keep up.  He made a mistake trying to set my phone up and had to reset everything himself, something a passenger would not be able to do.  

Edited by Cruising Latitude

Another dumb question.... I see you can call off the ship for .79 per minute.   I assume since your phone is in airplane mode, your cellular carrier does not charge you a fee for this call?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Contessa30 said:

Another dumb question.... I see you can call off the ship for .79 per minute.   I assume since your phone is in airplane mode, your cellular carrier does not charge you a fee for this call?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

You are correct and not missing anything. 

9 minutes ago, Contessa30 said:

Thanks!

Another related question would be, if you had the unlimited internet package, couldn't you phone home without a cost?

As you can probably tell, I have a situation where I will have to phone the states on my transatlantic cruise.  Thanks Again!!

2 minutes ago, Contessa30 said:

Another related question would be, if you had the unlimited internet package, couldn't you phone home without a cost?

As you can probably tell, I have a situation where I will have to phone the states on my transatlantic cruise.  Thanks Again!!

I have used WhatsApp without issue calling home while using the unlimited internet.