Costa in Oman ~ Visa help needed please

Shelledpea

Hi all,

I am getting conflicting information regarding the need for an Omani Visa for my cruise in November this year ~ we will be docking at Khasab, Muscat & Salalah.

I have spoken to the Oman Embassy who have said that the ship should receive  a 1 day visa for each passenger in each port but as far as I was aware from our booking details and small print Costa state that all individuals are responsible for making sure they have their own visas.

This is the link that Oman Embassy sent me via email: http://www.rop.gov.om/old/english/dg_pr_visas_shipcrew.asp

If anyone has done something similar in the past could you please let me know what your experience was as I do not wish to shell out on a multiple entry visa if it is completely unnecessary

Hi

We called in at Muscat and Salalah whilst on the Deliziosa in 2010 and the ship arranged the day Visas for Oman.  For sure I arranged no visas for any of our party, and if I didn’t no one else would have.

N

I visited Oman in 2018 and 2019. The ship arranges the visas for Oman. No charge.

You will receive information from Costa telling you what visas you are responsible for obtaining yourself.

Hi Shelled Pea

A simple call to Costa will clear up any visa issues.  I called them myself yesterday.  I have an Australian and UK passport.  They told me the details for both.  We leave from Venice in October traversing the suez canal visiting Isreal, Jordan and Oman.  I ws told that We didnt need any visas and  Costa arrange all "landing cards" .  There was no charge for the "landing card" for Oman but there was for Jordan and it was $12 US per passenger.   I don't know what passport you hold but it is likely you will get very similar information. 

Unless things have changed since 2014 then you need do nothing. We stopped at Khasab, Muscat & Salalah. (didn't get off at the latter).

If my memory is correct, the UAE visa your get on entry covers you for the enclave of Musandam. I don't remember having to go through immigration there or being checked.  I did a google search to check and managed to find this.

As of the 21st of March 2018, all tourist visitors will need to have a pre-obtained, 30-day tourist visit visa to enter Oman. Please note that cruise ships are exempt from this regulation. All cruise ships are given a blanket visa which is organised between the cruise ship company and the Royal Oman Police."

https://www.rop.gov.om/old/english/dg_pr_visas_shipcrew.asp

I've stopped in Oman several times in the last couple of years, the ship always arranged for the passports to be stamped, you get a laminated landing card which must be returned. I don't recall any charge for Aqaba.

Salalah was one of the worst ports I have ever been in. Absolutely nothing close to the ship, very obnoxious taxi drivers.

I've heard a few times now that Salalah isn't worth visiting. We're looking at a boat trip in Khasab and going for a trip round Yas Island  to see the F1 Circuit  in Abu Dhabi  ~ we were going to go visit the waterpark but from friends we've heard it's not worth the money especially as Siam Park in tenerife is Half the Price & twice the size and we've already been there 🙂

On 7/7/2019 at 3:18 AM, Shelledpea said:

I've heard a few times now that Salalah isn't worth visiting. We're looking at a boat trip in Khasab and going for a trip round Yas Island  to see the F1 Circuit  in Abu Dhabi  ~ we were going to go visit the waterpark but from friends we've heard it's not worth the money especially as Siam Park in tenerife is Half the Price & twice the size and we've already been there 🙂

Salalah is a great laundry day destination.

Unlike in the rest of Oman, the people of Salalah are exactly of the ilk that give Arabs a bad name.

Perhaps consider a ships excursion, but certainly don't attempt anything on your own. Whilst it is not dangerous, you are likely to be ripped off from the time you set foot on land to the moment you depart. 

Safe your sightseeing for other parts of stunning Oman.

I am still trying to work out WHY cruise lines visit this port. Just to show another port in the itinerary?