Should We Watch?

babs135

I've no idea what it's going to show, but of course booked it as soon as I saw the programme in the weekend papers...

I wonder whether it's going to be clips such as the infamous Fred O ship battling the winter storms to get home... that seems to appear on social media all the time. 

Possibly the Viking trouble... and of course Concordia.

Or else interviews with Brits who've lost their luggage; had no marmalade for breakfast; ran out of Black Sheep ale...

Jo has it figured :classic_biggrin:

A few months back, a company called True North Productions used Cruise Critic to make contact with cruisers for a programme about "cruising".for an up-coming Channel 4 programme.

I had a couple of long phone chats with them - very friendly guy but despite his insistence that it was about cruising in general it became clear that they were only looking for negatives. For instance he kept asking me if I'd experienced a ship with noro-virus despite my telling him that I'd not even heard about any significant out-breaks in recent years.

So it's a pound-to-a-penny that noro will be in the programme :classic_rolleyes:

Reminds me of the sewerage problem that plagued Thomson Dream for months after Thomson had bought the ship from Costa. That was massive grief, true "cruises from hell" .

BBC Watchdog sent in an undercover team to film the mayhem - but they were waaaaay too late to respond and by the time their team had joined the ship the problem had been resolved. They should have scrapped the piece - it was comical to watch their pathetic way-too-late efforts to find fault. :classic_rolleyes:

I was sorely tempted to tell the guy about the couple who were left behind on Devil's Island. And the guy who was so drunk on the last night that when he woke up the ship was on its next cruise. And the Russian dissident who stowed away on a ship in St Petersburg.

And anything else that I could dream-up :classic_biggrin: 

Because bad news makes better TV  than good news, expect an interesting programme - but if I'm right it'll be just an over-dramatised re-vamp of old news, so take it all with a pinch of salt. 

Check the end credits.

I betcha it'll include True North Productions.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, jocap said:

I've no idea what it's going to show, but of course booked it as soon as I saw the programme in the weekend papers...

I wonder whether it's going to be clips such as the infamous Fred O ship battling the winter storms to get home... that seems to appear on social media all the time. 

Possibly the Viking trouble... and of course Concordia.

I thought it might be about the recent incident of the MSC Opera that crashed into a dock in Venice last month and also hit a riverboat.

I think you may all be right, some rehashed old news events, some (bad)  cruising stories from passengers and anything else that may put cruising in a bad light. 

While I don't particularly like these shows highlighting faults and such, I don't mind them making cruising more unpopular with the masses as it keeps the prices down.

What happened to this programme? I checked and double checked I'd set it- and then on the day couldn't find it in the listings.

Did anyone catch it? Has it been shown? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, jocap said:

What happened to this programme? I checked and double checked I'd set it- and then on the day couldn't find it in the listings.

Did anyone catch it? Has it been shown? 🤷‍♂️

This coming wednesday 10th June according to Babs.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Ray66 said:

Terrifying weather and emergency evacuations caught on camera.

Everything from bad weather to illness, and shipboard crime to full-on collisions

Classic scare mongering program.

3 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

July, surely.

I could put it down to old age, but I think I'm just thick...

JB :classic_rolleyes:

(with apologies to Jo :classic_biggrin:)

Edited by John Bull
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2019 at 12:32 AM, Ray66 said:

Terrifying weather and emergency evacuations caught on camera.

Everything from bad weather to illness, and shipboard crime to full-on collisions

Yes, the Viking cruises trip to Norway in March where they were caught in a storm and all engines stopped. Everyone wearing their life jackets and some helicoptered off as it was too bad to use the lifeboats.

The MSC ship in Venice which hit the pier and a river cruise boat.

Noro virus on one ship, drug smuggling on another. Drunk passengers on a ship in Australia. Crew throwing plastic bags of rubbish overboard, and a Carnival ship discharging pollution for years for which they got fined.

Most of these things have appeared on the news recently and you can also find them on youtube.  So nothing new really.

3 hours ago, Ray66 said:

Yes, the Viking cruises trip to Norway in March where they were caught in a storm and all engines stopped. Everyone wearing their life jackets and some helicoptered off as it was too bad to use the lifeboats.

The MSC ship in Venice which hit the pier and a river cruise boat.

Noro virus on one ship, drug smuggling on another. Drunk passengers on a ship in Australia. Crew throwing plastic bags of rubbish overboard, and a Carnival ship discharging pollution for years for which they got fined.

Most of these things have appeared on the news recently and you can also find them on youtube.  So nothing new really.

Must have been international visitors on that Australian cruise.😋

50 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Mildly entertaining prog. The fist fights were a bit 'OMG' (never seen any in 12 years of cruising) and as for the (former) ship's doctor saying "if you even look at someone who has norovirus you will get it......."

I suppose that would be a case of 'If looks could ill'☠️

I though it quite a lazy production.:classic_rolleyes:

Very little that I'd not seen before here and there, much of it imported from the US,, and cobbled-together.

And it's hardly "when cruises go wrong" to include things like cruise ships causing pollution.

But in fairness it was clear that these mishaps were exceptions rather than the norm - cruisers featured were clearly very very happy cruise bunnies until the  noro / breakdown / whatever occurred.

(And am I right - had the couple struck down with noro been on the ship for only a day?  Since noro has an average incubation period of 33 hours, was it they who brought it aboard?)

No doubt we'll see various bits again, just once or twice or a hundred times, on different "cruises from hell" type programmes.

But as I head toward senility, in the not too dim-and-distant future I will doubtless be thrilled to see it all "for the first time":classic_biggrin:

BTW, I was right - tiny little line at the end of the credits  "True North Productions"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Channel 5 are at it now! A one and a half hour programme on Wednesday 14th August at 9pm - When cruises Go Horribly Wrong & Other Travel Nightmares.

A cruise ship is caught in a dangerous storm off the coast of Norway.

So that's the Viking Sky cruise incident in March yet again (yawn).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, Ray66 said:

That was Princess that was dumping sewage - and despite the fines I was on Princess last year around Japan  - I had an aft balcony - and they were still dumping sewage !!! If I ever see it again I will make more effort to find out who to report it to.  I imagine they do it in International waters.  

On 8/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ray66 said:

Channel 5 are at it now! A one and a half hour programme on Wednesday 14th August at 9pm - When cruises Go Horribly Wrong & Other Travel Nightmares.

A cruise ship is caught in a dangerous storm off the coast of Norway.

So that's the Viking Sky cruise incident in March yet again (yawn).

Yes and the Viking Sky incident was all that was shown of "cruises going horribly wrong". The rest of the programme was about flights going horribly wrong. :-)

Next Friday there's a programme on Channel 5 "the world's most luxurious cruise ship" - Regent Seven Seas Explorer.

Very sad to read the news today of the Australian entrepreneur who fell to his deathfrom the Symphony of the Seas.