How to pre-order minibar contents?

pasca

On our only previous Silversea cruise, our butler was a bit surprised that we hadn't pre-ordered our favorite drinks to be stocked in the minibar.  This time, we want to make sure our minibar is stocked with a few of our favorites.  I'm not seeing anyplace on My Silversea to indicate these preferences.  A phone rep at Silversea had no idea.  Can you Silversea experts fill me in on how to do this?  Thanks so much!

Yes there is a way but it's not worth the trouble. So I will tell you all the alcohol is locked up while in port. So it's best to meet your butler and he will bring your desired orders as soon as the ship leaves port. Pre-order does not get around the lockup so just talk directly to your butler. 

Thanks!  I assumed there would be a place on My Silversea Preferences, based on what our butler said.  It was no problem last time ... he asked our preferences and had most of them there within a few hours.  In fact, he amazed us:  My husband asked if the ship stocked his favorite soda, Diet Dr. Pepper.  It did not.  Fine, don't worry about it, Diet Coke will do.   But our butler passed on the request, and someone, somehow, located Diet Dr. Pepper somewhere in Thessaloniki and delivered it to our minibar.  Way beyond the call of duty, but awfully nice.

• Like 2

We have a list of bar items, some of which may not be standard on the ship, which our travel agent provides to a Silversea department (Special Services?) well before each cruise.  The items have always been in the suite when we board (including the liquor). 

• Like 1

Highly recommend pre-ordering rather than waiting to ask your butler.

A few cruises ago, I was quite surprised and dismayed when I waited until boarding and my butler told me he might not be able to stock my minibar for 4 or 5 days “but you can always go to the bar for a drink, madam.”  

To this day, I’ve never understood what the isssue was (other than this particular Butler...), but don’t take chances anymore and have my TA send in the request.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

Our SS Sales Agent handled it for us and we were re-stocked daily for the 10 day voyage.  Your TA or SS Sales Rep can pass your requests on to the right individuals or, if you prefer, I believe I read that you can email them  directly to SpecialServices@silversea.com. 

In regards to stocking the minibar ... does this apply to only the non-alcoholic sodas and mixes? Or can you request you favorite alcoholic libations also?  And how far in advance should this be done?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:19 AM, bigmjh said:

In regards to stocking the minibar ... does this apply to only the non-alcoholic sodas and mixes? Or can you request you favorite alcoholic libations also?  And how far in advance should this be done?

It most certainly does. Your travel agent or SS consultant should be able to help with this. I’d say between a month to 6 weeks should be enough time.

if your choices are non stocked items that need to be procured especially, there would be a charge, but everything else would be provided free.

Be aware that the price Silversea charge may be well in excess of what you are used to pay.  I asked about an Italian gin selling in the UK for around £ 25.00 and was quoted in excess of $120

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 11:19 PM, bigmjh said:

On 7/7/2019 at 12:17 AM, les37b said:

It most certainly does. Your travel agent or SS consultant should be able to help with this. I’d say between a month to 6 weeks should be enough time.

Most containers are procured a minimum of 12-weeks in advance.  So, if there is a product that you really, really want to enjoy onboard, be sure to submit your request as early as possible.

• Like 1

We are sailing in three months so out of interest I asked about two relatively inexpensive wines that are generally available in the UK. The reply was ...

”Errazuriz Wild Ferment Chardonnay and Bonterra Organic Chardonnay are special order items and would need to go through procurement and a cost may apply and there may be a possibility we cannot source.

The only Organic Wine we have onboard:

Bott -Geyl Alsace Mettis , France, White Wine”

There was a bit more waffle but essentially they wanted to know how many bottles I wanted before they would even attempt to source it.

I may pop into Majestic and source my own 🤫

4 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

There was a bit more waffle but essentially they wanted to know how many bottles I wanted before they would even attempt to source it.

I may pop into Majestic and source my own 🤫

I had similar when I enquired about tanqueray sevilla gin, which is usually about £20 a bottle. I decided to BYO.

And I do think the selections available on board are decreasing. I noticed Grey Goose Vodka on our last wasn't available...... and they had no Merlot anywhere on the ship after 4 days. Now I know I like a glass or two at Dinner - but I didn't realise I was sharing those 3 bottles with the rest of the ship! lol

EC22D0D3-589F-4968-BD54-5C0BA3FD2923.jpeg

When I acknowledged their email I asked for a copy of the current  complimentary list - they sent me one last year - and explained what I was looking for i.e. an oaked chardonnay.

When / if they send one I’ll pop a copy on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

They have sent me a list of the non-comp wines .... a 15 page pdf document. Hopefully it has attached correctly.

WINE LIST.pdf 1.51 MB · 17 downloads

SS still has one of the finest lists at sea.  Those Rhône reds are pretty special, specifically the '09 Beaucastel and '13 Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde.  And, the prices are more than fair.

We are leaving this Sunday on the Baltic cruise out of Copenhagen and about a week ago I emailed Special Services to ask what kind of complimentary Pinot Grigio could be placed in our minibar. She was very evasive and sent me a list of wines that I could buy. Surely by now, they know what types of complimenatry wines they will be stocking!

• Like 1

When I initially asked the stance was “Our special Services team have advised that the attached wine list is the only list they are able to provide.” ..... i.e. the one published on the thread. 

I did reply thanking them and told them what specific style of wine I was looking for and surprisingly they came back saying that their were four of that style on the comp list and they listed them, inviting me to pre-order should I wish to do so, but yes, it is strange that they are being evasive. 

Special Services was evasive even after me asking twice. I messaged Silverseas via their FB page with the same question. They said that they would look into it and get back to me but never did. I guess they are wanting to preserve maximum flexibility in case what they say is there (and comped) isn't.

Well, that’s my vino collapso sorted 😀

Looking at the ‘premium’ wine list, the ones I recognise seem to be on a normal mark up .... 100% .

It made me think when I ran the officers bar on one ship, we were charging more for the tonic than the gin! Mind you that was bog standard, no mark up duty free prices.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:09 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

...it is strange that they are being evasive. 

I think the big issue they have is that the wines on the comp list change frequently and are highly variable from ship to ship.

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Looking at the ‘premium’ wine list, the ones I recognise seem to be on a normal mark up .... 100% .

The best values are typically found in the Italian portion of the list.  I even found some to be below U.S. wholesale prices, which is always nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1