How to pre-order minibar contents?

pasca

13 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I think the big issue they have is that the wines on the comp list change frequently and are highly variable from ship to ship.

I think this is spot on. 

A ship may have been provisioned a couple of weeks ago with a few cases of (comp) wine x.   The next container of wines is not due to be loaded for several more weeks.  There may have been a run on (the lovely!) comp wine x, and the supply may have been exhausted by the time the inquiring guest boards.  Silversea (quite reasonably IMHO) does not want to commit to the availability of a wine that may be unavailable.  Other nice wines will be on offer, and a guest might discover a new favorite!

• Like 1

It was quite frustrating on our recent Muse cruise that in any of the venues when we asked for the included list they were unable to provide one. We were told by several crew that there was no longer an Included list. One extremely helpful manager at one venue was very apologetically able to print out their own crew spreadsheet. Luckily they had the excellent Vouvray that we had enjoyed previously and it was plentifully available so we ordered that in each venue we ate but it was extremely frustrating playing cat and mouse in every venue. A Small detail but one that really detracts from the luxury image and otherwise excellent service onboard. 

3 hours ago, Observer said:

Silversea (quite reasonably IMHO) does not want to commit to the availability of a wine that may be unavailable.

OK, I totally agree with Stumblefoot and Observer on this, makes total sense.  With this understanding, I no longer the view the unavailability of the included wine list prior to boarding as anything but a necessity of operation.  

29 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

We were told by several crew that there was no longer an Included list.

Still, once on board, I agree with Daveywavey70, it would be helpful to have such a list, even a partial one, once we sit down to dinner.  I recognize this means someone is doing some extra work, but it would address the small detail that could detract from a cruise experience.  

As always, as a rookie cruiser, I enjoy and appreciate the thoughts of the more experienced folks on these boards.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

It was quite frustrating on our recent Muse cruise that in any of the venues when we asked for the included list they were unable to provide one. We were told by several crew that there was no longer an Included list. 

I do not recall ever being presented with "an included list" on Silversea in my 20+ years of cruising with them.  Nor do I recall the presence of such a list on Crystal, Seabourn, or Regent (on each of which I have multiple cruises.)  It is quite possible that my memory is failing on this matter (as it has on others!).  And I have never asked for any such list.  I can well understand the frustration of true oenophiles.  But I can think of several reasons that cruise lines might opt not to provide such lists.  Are such lists routinely available on other luxury lines? 

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

It certainly was available on our Spirit cruise last year. Thats how we found the Vouvray.

Understood.  But given your statement:

One extremely helpful manager at one venue was very apologetically able to print out their own crew spreadsheet.

I gather that the list was not widely available.

IMHO, that the manager printed out a list from his/her spreadsheet is another example of SS team members going the extra mile. 

21 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I think the big issue they have is that the wines on the comp list change frequently and are highly variable from ship to ship.

That was the gist of the email response I just got on my inquiry.  Makes sense.
Since they do have the capability to print documents on the ship, I think it would not be too difficult to print a voyage wine list for use onboard.

Here is the message I got back from Silversea via their FB messaging system on the topic of comped wines:  “Hello. Apologies for the delay. I've been trying to contact our company sommelier or anyone from his team to provide the most accurate answer, but it seems that he's traveling or onboard one of our ships with limited access to email. I realize time is of the essence as your voyage departs soon but as soon as I hear anything back I'll be sure to send you a message”

That was 4 days ago and no word since. Does anyone else find it a little odd that only this one man knows what the comped wines are? Surely there’s a staff of procurement and logistics people working the wine supply for the Silversea ships?

Edited by Perdidogirl

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Since they do have the capability to print documents on the ship, I think it would not be too difficult to print a voyage wine list for use onboard.

While I agree with you, I imagine the reason they don’t is because they want to keep wine service as simple as possible for the wine stewards.  By offering just two wines in each venue for lunch and dinner service, they are able to avoid wine stewards running back-n-forth to the wine storage room to pull single bottles for guests.  I have a feeling the majority of SS guests don’t even realize they can request a different wine than what is being poured during any particular service.

15 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

While I agree with you, I imagine the reason they don’t is because they want to keep wine service as simple as possible for the wine stewards.  By offering just two wines in each venue for lunch and dinner service, they are able to avoid wine stewards running back-n-forth to the wine storage room to pull single bottles for guests.  

Precisely my thinking.  Absent an appreciable increase in the sommelier staff, to invite guests to select any wine they fancy from a published "included list" would, I think, significantly slow down the service as the staff secure the desired bottle, open it, and present it to guests for tasting, etc.  Then, does the favored bottle follow the guest from one dining venue to the next?  I understand that a purchased bottle may be kept for the next evening and even transported from, say, Atlantide to La Terrazza.  But I see real logistical problems in allowing all guests to select at will from a large list of "included" wines.

Here's a possible work-around (likely to be as controversial as many of my other posts):  Guests may ask the previous day to have a selected wine from the "included" list ready for them the following evening.  But to prevent abuse, to recognize the associated work, etc., a modest service charge ($20) would be assessed.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

While I agree with you, I imagine the reason they don’t is because they want to keep wine service as simple as possible for the wine stewards.  By offering just two wines in each venue for lunch and dinner service, they are able to avoid wine stewards running back-n-forth to the wine storage room to pull single bottles for guests.  I have a feeling the majority of SS guests don’t even realize they can request a different wine than what is being poured during any particular service.

Yes, on our 1st Silversea cruise we belatedly realized it was possible to ask, "Could I have the red wine we had last Wednesday?"

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry if this is a noob question, but can someone explain the "liquor locked up while in port" comment at the top of this thread?

We're refugees from a Windstar Alaska Itinerary that went south on us in the great Breeze lengthening debacle, and I'm coming up to speed on Silversea.

Does this mean that "all" liquor is not available when in a port? We're used to coming back from some excursion and having a cocktail before sailing, or maybe a glass of wine with lunch while in port. Do they  even clear out the stuff that's in your cabin?

We're certainly looking for a glass of champers as soon as we board!

Edited by milepig

28 minutes ago, milepig said:

Sorry if this is a noob question, but can someone explain the "liquor locked up while in port" comment at the top of this thread?

We're refugees from a Windstar Alaska Itinerary that went south on us in the great Breeze lengthening debacle, and I'm coming up to speed on Silversea.

Does this mean that "all" liquor is not available when in a port? We're used to coming back from some excursion and having a cocktail before sailing, or maybe a glass of wine with lunch while in port. Do they  even clear out the stuff that's in your cabin?

We're certainly looking for a glass of champers as soon as we board!

Fear not!  You will have your champers on boarding, wine with lunch in port, etc.

The bars are open while in port (though they may be some exceptions somewhere in the world -- say, some strict Muslim countries).  

I think the reference that alarmed you was to the liquor storage area where new bottles are accessed, etc.  That may well be locked up in many/most ports.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Observer said:

Fear not!  You will have your champers on boarding, wine with lunch in port, etc.

The bars are open while in port (though they may be some exceptions somewhere in the world -- say, some strict Muslim countries).  

I think the reference that alarmed you was to the liquor storage area where new bottles are accessed, etc.  That may well be locked up in many/most ports.  

Whew.  Now I can figure out how to preorder my single malt and gin of choice!

5 minutes ago, milepig said:

Whew.  Now I can figure out how to preorder my single malt and gin of choice!

I think this is best handled by your butler on the afternoon of your arrival.  Please do not assume that any single malt or gin you fancy will be available.  You will be on a luxury cruise ship, not a liquor store.   And some premium brands (18 year old scotches, etc.) carry a premium charge.  

A few years ago, a passenger on a very long luxury cruise asked many months in advance for a premium single malt to be available for him.  The cruise line responded that they could order the scotch from their supplier, but they would have to order a case and he would be responsible for the cost. He agreed.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, Fortunate2 said:

Our SS Sales Agent handled it for us and we were re-stocked daily for the 10 day voyage.  Your TA or SS Sales Rep can pass your requests on to the right individuals or, if you prefer, I believe I read that you can email them  directly to SpecialServices@silversea.com. 

Thanks for listing the email address. I sent them an email and was responded to within 24hrs with a confirmation that my requests would be waiting for me.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

It was quite frustrating on our recent Muse cruise that in any of the venues when we asked for the included list they were unable to provide one. We were told by several crew that there was no longer an Included list. One extremely helpful manager at one venue was very apologetically able to print out their own crew spreadsheet. Luckily they had the excellent Vouvray that we had enjoyed previously and it was plentifully available so we ordered that in each venue we ate but it was extremely frustrating playing cat and mouse in every venue. A Small detail but one that really detracts from the luxury image and otherwise excellent service onboard. 

Agree with others, this was the BIGGEST frustration on our only prior Silversea cruise.  they seemed to be "forbidden" to provide the list of complimentary wines, even after we were on the ship.  When we complained about this, they arranged for us to meet with the chief sommelier, who was delightful and showed us what he had (this was on a very small expedition ship).  So it seems the problem is more than not being able to "commit in advance".  Perhaps someone has given them the impression that if they list a wine they would be "promising" to have it available, which of course they could never do (and such should never be expected).  They could easily have a list titled something like "Sample only - a representative list of some of our past selections".  This would at least give folks an idea of what to expect (and probably 90% of the wines are available and the same across the fleet).  In practice we found that they had a good diversity of wines and we felt the ability to match with our meals was adequate - we looked at the "surcharge" list but never felt the need to pay for a bottle.  Most of the wines are inexpensive/moderate priced, as you might expect, but the choices are excellent, with many regions of the world represented.  HOWEVER: if you are a wine fan you will definitely want some way to know "the list" and not just accept the "wine of the night" they are running around with in the dining room, as these were perfectly reasonable but rarely my "first choice" (we all have our personal tastes).

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

It certainly was available on our Spirit cruise last year. Thats how we found the Vouvray.

We have been able to get this on request on Crystal, no problem.  Also on Cunard (QMII), though that was as part of a promotional "drinks included" package, since they are not alcohol all-inclusive across the ship.

Re Wine List of complementary wines .We have always asked to see the Head Sommelier upon boarding and chosen a red and a white for dinner each evening.for the whole cruise.Silversea have to date always obliged with our request up to and including our 2019 cruises.Enjoy cruising with Silversea!

• 4 weeks later...

We have not been on Silversea yet, but planning a Galapagos cruise next year on the Origin for our 30th wedding anniversary including Machu Picchu. We have sailed with Seabourn several times, and first thing we do is obtain a current complimentary wine list, and they never have a problem providing it. On a longer cruise we will get an updated list as they do run out of wines from time to time which are replaced with a different choice. Cannot imagine why this should be a problem for Silversea.  Really hope the can stock my cabin with my favourite Gin Hendrick and tonic Fever tree light without a upcharge. (no charge a Seabourn)

13 hours ago, silkismom said:

We will be on our first Silversea cruise, the Mar. Crossing, how many different types of liquor do people usually order for their stateroom?   Liquor, plus wine, plus after dinner drinks??

Good morning:classic_smile:...hard question to answer (in my opinion)…who knows? I have sailed with SS 3 times and

never ordered anything---I think it depends on how much you drink really.

Now, I am taking my first TA crossing too--mine is in April so maybe for a longer sailing I will order something:classic_biggrin:

But as for after dinner drinks? I love them but normally have one at the bar. (that is just me).

16 hours ago, silkismom said:

We will be on our first Silversea cruise, the Mar. Crossing, how many different types of liquor do people usually order for their stateroom?   Liquor, plus wine, plus after dinner drinks??

My guess is the vast majority don’t order any for their suite.  Now mind you, this is merely confirmation bias on my part.

I remember on our first voyage how excited I was that we could get whatever liquor we wanted that was on board.  My excitement was over when that first request arrived.  I never dreamed they’d bring us a complete fifth!  I don’t know why, but I just imagined it would be little airline bottles, but no, it was a full fifth.  Of course today, wine and distilled spirits is on the metric system.  So, that just means you get 7 mL less than before. 😁