Craziest thing You've ever seen happen on a Cruiseship?

SailorMan20

T

On 1/13/2020 at 5:53 PM, mom says said:

Waste their cruises fussing? You believe that anyone who finds that the use of the crudest words on a shirt, or bad behavior offensive must be wasting their entire cruise fussing about it? Is it not possible to see something, find it disgusting, and then move on? It's called having an opinion. Nowhere have I seen anyone say that they dwelt on it for their entire cruise. The use of hyperbole does nothing to strengthen your stance. If that's the wildest thing you've ever seen, you either cruise on very boring ships, or haven't been paying attention. 

I did not say everyone wasted their entire cruise fussing. I said I've seen it and there is an alarming amount of it. Heck someone cared so much they're still fussing and posting photos on this thread well after their cruise! I've got a workmate who starts in about stuff people wore that wasn't proper on her cruise every time someone mentions going on a cruise. Her one and only cruise was almost ten years ago now!

And yup, you are right. I don't pay attention to what others wear on my cruise as much as possible. Not my problem nor my business.

If someone is in the MDR in shorts and a t-shirt, more power to 'em. I do dress for formal night in a nice dress myself because I enjoy wearing nice dresses and rarely get the chance outside of cruises. I'm certain if I cared there were plenty of things I could get riled about on all my cruises. I know my last cruise there was all of one table in black tie tux and evening gowns on formal night so I suppose I could start with that. The truth is they looked to be having a great time, as did the table of people in much more relaxed dress next to them. And that is really all I think ought to matter. 

Edited by TravelinGert

11 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Someone at Carnival did.  “Studies have shown” that if more people become offended by rules fewer of them will go where those rules apply.  Less people will mean more empty cabins, thus lower fares.  “Studies have also shown” that if a departure port is seen as a chaotic mess fewer people will choose to use it.  Same result.  So shout it from the rooftops:

“Carnival cruise line is a bunch of stuck up snobs who won’t let you wear your F*** THE POLICE tee shirt and Galveston is completely disorganized with horrible traffic and long lines!”

Just doing my part for lower fares from Galveston where we sail from 4 or 5 times a year.  

I appreciate you taking one for the team! Here's hopeful it actually does some good because cruising out of Galveston is for some reason unreasonably high.

1 minute ago, WAMarathoner said:

The tourist parts are very nice.

I thought the area my SIL lived and I visited was nice as well and that isn't in a tourist area. We also walked a lot in the city as we are big into walking rather than taking a cab so we saw a lot. I did notice homeless people but we have them in our city as well and I feel sorry for most of them. 

I guess I am feeling defensive because you described locals harshly and my SIL and her family are locals and they have excellent manners. Same as her friends we met. One should never generalise.

I'm glad she lives in a safe area.  They are becoming fewer and fewer, overwhelmingly due to drugs.  Do watch the YouTube video referenced above.  Can't link because it requires a sign-on for age.  I'm sure your SIL has seen it.

According to the Puget Sound Business Journal, Seattle spends over a billion taxpayer dollars a year on homelessness.  That's billion with a B, so it's not like most cities' homelessness.  I do feel sorry for those who are trying to get out of their situation.  Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to most, and our laws here restrict the ability to tie benefits to behavior.   Progress is being made in some areas, regression in most.

Aquahound's experiences are unfortunately not unique.  They should not, however, deter people from leaving from the Seattle port.  This is one of the most efficient, excellent ports from which we've departed.  Just stay in the tourist areas, closer to the waterfront.

Sorry to go back to the subject of rude shirts... I once saw a very big, bald headed man wearing a t-shirt of a black man with his neck in a noose...  I find that very offensive. How do you explain shirts with pictures of people having sex to a curious 8 year old???  I bought my husband has a t-shirt that says " Let's play carpenter, first we get hammered and then I nail you." I think it's funny but he doesn't wear it in public...

Edited by Susu1974
Typo

On 1/19/2020 at 4:53 PM, Susu1974 said:

Sorry to go back to the subject of rude shirts... I once saw a very big, bald headed man wearing a t-shirt of a black man with his neck in a noose...  I find that very offensive. How do you explain shirts with pictures of people having sex to a curious 8 year old???  I bought my husband has a t-shirt that says " Let's play carpenter, first we get hammered and then I nail you." I think it's funny but he doesn't wear it in public...

Oh now you've made me giggle. Not at your comment but because it reminded me of something I once saw.

I was in church bored and suddenly realized the nice dress shirt with the small print the old fellow in front of me was wearing was actually sort of stick figures of Karma Sutra poses.

Ended up getting my mother to speak to his wife as they were a very conservative couple who certainly wouldn't approve of such a thing. Each picture was quite small and like them I had initially just glanced. At a glance it just looked like some sort of curly-q pattern. Whups!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, TravelinGert said:

Four letter word? You mean it said "Work"? Or perhaps "Shop". Honestly the only thing I find more amusing than these shirts is this conversation. So you're saying they knew some among the cruise crowd would be uptight clutching their pearls so they wore it just to see that and be amused? Hilarious. 

As to who wears them well there have been some studies which showed people who swear are more likely to be highly intelligent. No idea how that applies to these shirt wears but it does give one pause to wonder. Personally I don't really swear because I'm old and was raised in a conservative home. I don't give two figs if others swear or wear shirts with swear words on them. I've seen quite a few I thought were quite amusing and a fair few that I didn't see the humor.

Either way don't care. I'm not on a cruise to care about what others wear. I suppose when someone gets themselves elected grand pooh-bah of cruise wear they can police it. I can tell you if they do elect someone to police it that'll be the last I'm on a cruise. I cruise to get away from such nonsense.

Which brings me to the wildest things I've seen on cruises. The amount of people who waste their cruises fussing about what others wear or do amazes me. I guess to each their own entertainment. If it isn't an issue directly affecting health or safety, I don't care and I don't see why anyone else should. 

I curse like a sailor.  But I am also polite enough to not do it around people who I don't know well enough to know that they do as well and won't be offended.  The lady in that shirt was an ignorant, crass, rude, attention whore--and I say so clutching my pearls.  

• Like 3

I have been wanting to post this since my return and have kept forgetting...until now!

I was leaving my cabin and walking to the pool. There was a couple standing outside a doorway where a small child (3 - 4 years old). They adults looked stricken. They were not related to the child and the woman told me that they were walking by and the kiddo had opened the door crying because he'd been left alone in the cabin. I asked them to stay with the boy while I went to find a staff member. Luckily the Medallions on Princess came in handy because I gave them the cabin number and they were able to pinpoint where the mom was sitting. By the time we made it back to the room dad was there and the other couple had left. Mom's response when I approached her at the pool was something like well he'd been asleep for awhile. Like she had better things to do than watch her child.

Please don't leave small kiddos unattended. 

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

they were walking by and the kiddo had opened the door crying because he'd been left alone in the cabin.

OMG!!!!  

These are the type of people who need to be reported to the authorities.  If they do it on a cruise ship where the child is in a strange place, what do they do to that poor baby back home in familiar territory!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mom says said:

That is truly troubling. If they were ashore in the States, Security would have a duty to report, I would think. I wonder if they would notify CPS to be on hand when the ship returned to home port.

Since it happened on a foreign flag cruise ship, the child endangerment laws of the flag state, not the US would apply, so no, they would not report this to US law enforcement.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, JennyB1977 said:

I have been wanting to post this since my return and have kept forgetting...until now!

I was leaving my cabin and walking to the pool. There was a couple standing outside a doorway where a small child (3 - 4 years old). They adults looked stricken. They were not related to the child and the woman told me that they were walking by and the kiddo had opened the door crying because he'd been left alone in the cabin. I asked them to stay with the boy while I went to find a staff member. Luckily the Medallions on Princess came in handy because I gave them the cabin number and they were able to pinpoint where the mom was sitting. By the time we made it back to the room dad was there and the other couple had left. Mom's response when I approached her at the pool was something like well he'd been asleep for awhile. Like she had better things to do than watch her child.

Please don't leave small kiddos unattended. 

Wow.  I'm surprised they weren't put off at the next port.  Indefensible.