Craziest thing You've ever seen happen on a Cruiseship?

SailorMan20

A Coast Guard boat was in Tracy Arm on one of our Alaskan cruises. The Coast Guard guys were diving into the water and retrieving chunks of ice. They were wearing just swimsuits, not wetsuits. 

On another cruise, we had a man overboard situation. We did not see him jump, but we saw the rescue craft launch to find him. Fortunately, they did. It was a young man with mental problems. He and his family were put off at the next port.

5 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Guy traveling alone, so drunk at dinner that during main course eyes rolled up and did a face plant into his plate - mashed taters and gravy flew!!  A couple of waiters and bus persons picked him up and carried him away ...... next morning saw him early at the pool bar with a bloody mary

and there was the time:

few years back my USCG Cutter was docked in Cozumel for a two day R&R. It was evening time and I wandered up to the bridge to watch the cruise ship across from us leave. It had just begun backing away from the pier when a lady came running down the pier with a shopping bag in each hand. She got to about my place on the pier when she realized the cruise ship was pulling away. She stopped, dropped the bags and a look of panic set in . . . I called down, "is there a problem?"

"My husband and kids are on that boat . . . ." .... "wait their" I hollered down ... and called the gangway watch to send some one to fetch her and 'be nice' ... she's left behind.

Then I grabbed the bridge to bridge radio and hailed the cruise ship. "Hi Captain, this is the US Coast Guard Cutter & I've got one of your passengers!" I proposed that as they dropped the pilot if they'd wait just a couple of minutes I'd run her out to them.

I used it as a rapid rescue drill for the in port watch and we had our fast boat in the water and ready to go in under 10 minutes. Loaded the wayward mom and got her in a life jacket and ran her out to the cruise ship ...... guess how many people were watching as she climbed up the pilot ladder!!!!!

broke up a routine duty day for the crew!

She had a story to tell ....

nice story.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 8:02 AM, CruiseRonJulie said:

I saw two very "large" ladies in bathrobes get into a screaming match at the Buffet. Before you knew it, they were throwing flip-flips like Tomahawks. 

Tomaflops!!  I like it!  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/3/2019 at 3:30 PM, MicCanberra said:

I have seen someone (most likely a male) dressed as a chicken for the majority of the cruise. Not sure what their story was, but that was pretty crazy seeing a chicken in the MDR.

Never seen a chicken suit, but I've seen lots of guys in penguin suits!  😀😀😀

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, CruiseRonJulie said:

I saw two very "large" ladies in bathrobes get into a screaming match at the Buffet. Before you knew it, they were throwing flip-flips like Tomahawks. 

I would have loved to have witnessed this. Comedy gold.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, babs135 said:

On an excursion to the Great Barrier Reef an elderly German couple decided to get changed out of their swimming gear in full view of everyone. Trust me, it was not a pretty sight.  'shudder' 

That happens at many European beaches.

• Like 1

I was in the audience of a Newlywed Not So Newlywed show (or whatever they call it) on an NCL ship, and one of the couples were two men.  It was the first time for that CD to have a gay couple in that show, and he kept putting his foot in his mouth.  "Will the wives please leave the stage.  Umm, which one of you is the wife?" is one I remember.  I'm sure he got a cocktail after the show!  Too funny!

Edited by julie3fan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

That happens at many European beaches.

I must admit that I was initially a bit "distracted" with the level of comfort displayed on our first MSC cruise by our fellow European cruisers. We saw a few people changing from their wet bathing suit into dry clothes in public, including their children. At the Aurea Spa, nudity was common in thermal rooms, relaxation areas, as well as walking from one room to another. And on deck, a woman decided to take off her shirt for the aerobics class.  It took me a few days, but after a while I "embraced" the culture! LOL. It was liberating to let go of my inhibitions and realize that we are a bit too uptight in the USA about this.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 10

Four of us were on a catamaran excursion in Jamaica watching the cliff divers, when a much older rough looking catamaran anchored next to us. There were some 20ish looking females in bikini's walking about and after a few minutes I see this older gentleman attempt to stand up on the front netting. He was feeling no pain, or clothes. To make matters worse, as he was 'attempting' to stand he was also 'attempting' to put on his swim suit. Wobble-wobble boom, wobble-wobble attempt suit boom. This went on for several minutes and finally he did get his swim suit on, but couldn't get off the netting. Luckily his lovelies brought him drinks.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:49 PM, Aplmac said:

Adventure of the Seas

was docked on the other side of the Philipsburg pier at Sint Maarten

and come 5 p.m. or so, it was fairly obvious the gangway crew

were expecting pier runners!

Time came and time went, but they were still expecting one or two.

Finally, what looked like a RCL Official Guy

came off the ship wearing a bright orange shirt

carrying a brief case (no doubt with their passports?) and the ship left!!

leaving Mr. Orange Shirt on the dock still waiting for runners!

I remember feeling sorry for those who got left behind........

Not sure how this matter was resolved, but you can use your imagination!

There was also a wedding on board Adventure! We were on Ocean Village Two.

This was early January 2008. Was it you getting married?

Topsail bride.jpg

Bride1.jpg

Situation-101.jpg

Your first pic is from a Princess ship, not the Adventure Of The Seas.

2 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Your first pic is from a Princess ship, not the Adventure Of The Seas.

Oooops! You're quite right.

We did Antigua(bride) and Sint Maarten(Orange shirt) on the same cruise (our second)

-back in January 2008. Older Memory starts to blur things!

Apologies.

Don't know if this qualifies as weird but we were on a cruise in the Caribbean in the 90s.  I don't remember what it was but there was some unrest going on in I believe Haiti.  All of a sudden for a couple of days, it seemed like half the US Navy was in the area we were cruising.  We saw every manner of ship, Aircraft Carrier in particular was pretty impressive.   During the cruise they had to take a passenger off the ship by Helicopter, rumor was that the person was taken to the Carrier.   

• Like 1

Around July 1964, our family was doing a TA from England to New York on the USS America.  Those days there were heavy water-tight doors with accessible levers in the corridors.  We were returning from the theater (“Good Neighbor Sam”, with Jack Lemmon!) when this adolescent guy pulls the handle and the thick watertight door begins closing - woman just ahead of us had her foot/high heal snagged in the door track and was thankfully pulled to safety by her companions.  Mom was talking about the incident and the idiot kid the next day, and the woman next to her said yes, that was my idiot kid.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, MicCanberra said:

I have seen someone (most likely a male) dressed as a chicken for the majority of the cruise. Not sure what their story was, but that was pretty crazy seeing a chicken in the MDR.

See, I only have garden-variety crazy, nothing like this....guess I should feel lucky after cruising 45 years to only have a few tame stories!

On a packed Princess summer cruise a few years back (NYC to Caribbean), a fist-fight over saved seats in the main show lounge broke out right in front of me. On that same cruise (no relation to the fight), was a man who dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow the entire time.

When I was a young and sprightly miss, my family took a 14-day RT cruise to Alaska from San Francisco. At one port we had to tender in and it was quite cold and windy with big waves. A very young and green (as in new, not seasick) sailor on the tender had caught my eye and we did a little flirting from afar. He was trying to impress me by walking around the outside of the boat without holding on. He fell off into the cold, rough seas -- they acted very quickly to fish him out. I'm not sure he could swim. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Goodness, what's with all the age-ism and body shaming on threads like this?

We haven't really cruised in about 15 years, except for our wonderful Hurtigruten ones, and I'm wondering if posts like this represent the exception or the rule of cruisers.  I know the demographics are skewed older and US-based.  The times have gratefully changed and things like the above that were 'acceptable' aren't now.  They were never right but our consciousness has been raised, hasn't it?  I won't even think to myself "oh s/he would look better in something looser."  People should wear and look whatever and however they please.  If they're not hurting anyone, then just stop it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

You may wear what you choose. I have more pride than that. 

Regardless of the subject, I'm not sure I've ever seen two more contradictory statements.  I don't know what YOUR pride has to do with what someone else chooses to wear.  Do you?

And one of the things I adore about international travel is that 'perfect' (whatever that is) bodies are few and far between.  I love seeing people just enjoying themselves.

BTW and OT I've told the mothers of our grandchildren (boys and girls) that if anyone gets a Ken or Barbie doll their college fund goes away.

Sooooo to answer the original question lol.... Craziest thing I saw was two families - FAMILIES - go ALL OUT royal rumble on the Lido deck. It was on MSC Divina (about half European/non-English speaking), and none of them spoke English while they were screaming at each other, so I have no idea what it was about. I don't think they knew each other though. They had a verbal exchange earlier in the cruise. Four of them were carted off the ship in handcuffs at the next port. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, amandaepperson21 said:

Sooooo to answer the original question lol.... Craziest thing I saw was two families - FAMILIES - go ALL OUT royal rumble on the Lido deck. It was on MSC Divina (about half European/non-English speaking), and none of them spoke English while they were screaming at each other, so I have no idea what it was about. I don't think they knew each other though. They had a verbal exchange earlier in the cruise. Four of them were carted off the ship in handcuffs at the next port. 

Did you see the video from Disneyland?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

It all depends on the context. Not all gay people are up tight and lack the sense of humour. It's a difference to make a joke and to make fun of...

Not all straight people are uptight and lack a sense of humour, but a large amount are.

Think you will find there is no corrolation whatsoever that differentiates straight and gay folk from this.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tapi said:

I must admit that I was initially a bit "distracted" with the level of comfort displayed on our first MSC cruise by our fellow European cruisers. We saw a few people changing from their wet bathing suit into dry clothes in public, including their children. At the Aurea Spa, nudity was common in thermal rooms, relaxation areas, as well as walking from one room to another. And on deck, a woman decided to take off her shirt for the aerobics class.  It took me a few days, but after a while I "embraced" the culture! LOL. It was liberating to let go of my inhibitions and realize that we are a bit too uptight in the USA about this.

I was in Amsterdam and set up for a massage.  The hotel used a fitness center across the street.  I went over, and the masseuse was not ready yet, so they suggested I wait in the sauna and relax.  About 3/4 of the men were fully nude (not even a towel).  When it was the time, the female masseuse waltzed right in to collect me.   No one batted an eye.

Another trip, I got a massage in the spa at the hotel.  When I was done, I came out through the relaxation area, which also had the showers.  A lady stepped out of the shower, and proceeded to dry off. 

MANY more similar encounters.

And yes, people in the US are very uptight about this.

Oh, funniest one.  My parents, two aunts, and my cousin (son of one of the aunts, and about 10 years old) were in Europe traveling.  They were crossing Lake Geneve, and my dad and cousin were taking a gander at the topless women sunbathing.  My aunt (cousins mother) came over to talk to them, noticed the women, and exclaimed, "THOSE WOMEN ARE TOPLESS."  My cousin turned, lowered his sunglasses and calmly told her, "We noticed."  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Carnival Victory sailing out of San Juan

We had boarded and was grabbing a quick meal in the Lido buffet before heading back into town (8pm sailing).  Family at a table next to us with a young boy - maybe 4 or 5 had taken the salt shaker and was licking the top.  Mother kept taking it away and setting it down and the boy would continue to reach over and grab it to lick.  This went on for a good 20 minutes and when they finally got up, the mother took the shake and just set it down on the table and just walked away.

We had to flag down a wait staff and let them know what happened.

Never used the salt shaker at the buffet dining room the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1