7/2 Alaska Showcase

Mackdogmolly

37 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes, unfortunately the afternoon White Pass excursion had to be canceled due to a breakdown. Many disappointed guests. I am sure people must have taken up the bus AC issue (I heard others say they were going to), but I haven’t seen any adjustments on my account. This is VERY unusual weather for Alaska.

My experience, they only adjust for you if you complain, if you do not they assume you were happy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes, unfortunately the afternoon White Pass excursion had to be canceled due to a breakdown. Many disappointed guests. I am sure people must have taken up the bus AC issue (I heard others say they were going to), but I haven’t seen any adjustments on my account. This is VERY unusual weather for Alaska.

I have to disagree with you on the weather! We have been to Alaska 5 times prior to this and have always had at at least one day (usually in Juneau) where it is 80f ~ The tour operators should have properly functioning equipment. I doubt Shore excursions would refund you anything unless you complain, when we have had issues in the past they tend not to give any across the board adjustments unless it is something like the train breaking down! 

The Chefs table looks very nice. We have spent a lot of time in Prime C and the Chefs table looks like a lot of fun. 

It was a nice day in Sitka, finally some cooler weather. Also great to just have our sister ship from Celebrity docked next to us with only only 2800 pax vs the huge RCL ships.

We took the exploration raft out in our red astronaut looking suits. It was an adventure...we will be the ones walking around the ship looking like we've been horseback riding!

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

I have to disagree with you on the weather! We have been to Alaska 5 times prior to this and have always had at at least one day (usually in Juneau) where it is 80f ~ The tour operators should have properly functioning equipment. I doubt Shore excursions would refund you anything unless you complain, when we have had issues in the past they tend not to give any across the board adjustments unless it is something like the train breaking down! 

Well, from what I understand, such a long stretch of hot weather is unusual. And I absolutely agree that tour operators should have properly operating equipment and I trust that those who really “suffered” will be compensated. I feel that I was uncomfortable, but not enough to really make a scene about it. Our tour today to the Raptor Recovery Center was lovely and the Cultural Discovery part taught us a lot about the history of Sitka 

• Like 1

Enjoying this thread! The Alaska heatwave has been big national news so you definitely are experiencing unusual weather. Hope it's cooled off some now. We were on the June 14 Quest and had a great trip except for the excursion to Mendenhall Glacier and the salmon bake which was very disappointing. If we cruise again, we'll book our own excursions. We booked a whale watching trip in Hoonah that was amazing and much better pricing than comparable Azamara excursions. 

10 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Thats the way it should be. I prefer cool AK but it seems to be the exception the last couple of years.

Always gone in July for bday. AK   much warmer than Norway this July.

I think I rather sightsee in the nice days instead of damp and rain 

26 minutes ago, ellbon said:

Always gone in July for bday. AK   much warmer than Norway this July.

I think I rather sightsee in the nice days instead of damp and rain 

The nice weather is better for tourists and sightseeing. Alaska is not supposed to be so warm, its a shame to go in May and July and barely see any snow on the mountains.

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

The nice weather is better for tourists and sightseeing. Alaska is not supposed to be so warm, its a shame to go in May and July and barely see any snow on the mountains.

snow-saw lovely pictures of dog sleding on mendalhall Glacier this week. Plenty of snow. That is  Juneau. So other ports had some. never not seen some snow even in Denali.

26 minutes ago, ellbon said:

snow-saw lovely pictures of dog sleding on mendalhall Glacier this week. Plenty of snow. That is  Juneau. So other ports had some. never not seen some snow even in Denali.

Of course, plenty of snow on the glacier. However, in the mountains surrounding the towns only snow on the tops of the mountains, if at all. Such a difference from when we starting cruising Alaska 7 years ago. 🙁

4 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Of course, plenty of snow on the glacier. However, in the mountains surrounding the towns only snow on the tops of the mountains, if at all. Such a difference from when we starting cruising Alaska 7 years ago. 🙁

been twice always at the tops only. same in Norway-higher up more snow.

We had an enjoyable day in Sitka yesterday. We were docked 5 miles from town, but fortunately the tours picked up right at the terminal. Started out with a performance by a small amateur troupe performing Russian folk dances. Sitka was formerly called New Archangel, when it was under Russian domain. The Tlingit Indians,  who colonized the area more than 9,000 years ago, called it Shee Atika. Then it was on to the Raptor Recovery Center, where we saw 12 bald eagles in the “flight training room”, in various stages of rehabilitation. Sadly, sometimes their injuries are too severe to ever be released again into the wild. In those cases, they become permanent residents, and are well taken care of for the rest of their days. In the picture below is “Spirit”, a juvenile bald eagle, whose neurological injuries were too severe for rehabilitation. She has become docile enough (with constant food reinforcement) to perch long enough for her handler to tell us about the program and answer questions. Next we went to the National Historical Park and Cultural Center, which housed some Tlingit treasures and totems.

078233CF-9786-4B3A-BBED-EAE63C14B39B.jpeg

9F595396-2A31-4EC6-9B87-023F9FFAD028.jpeg

4D5159D6-AFC7-41A1-8176-B285231AF4CB.jpeg

1F50F243-E43C-43B4-AA5C-D6955F032B50.jpeg

C466B662-BC5A-4409-9EB2-4CD37B852194.jpeg

D0DA9428-BB02-4EE8-BF92-D8AED5D10C7B.jpeg

EBD68DF7-4548-43E4-8CE0-AF2E98EEF17F.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Your photos are great and I’m really enjoying this.  The Chef’s Table looked fabulous.  Thank you.

It was, and today they had an amazing brunch in Discovery’s (MDR). It was not themed, but it included everything under the sun and was very well attended, probably because we don’t arrive in Nanaimo until 2 pm. Yesterday, I attended a Crab Fest (extra fee) in Aqualina for lunch, which was also excellent (see photos below). Dinner there as well, followed by a late night of dancing with gal pals (DH hates to dance) in the Living Room.

95DE4697-A9F0-4CF1-A7C2-D35E51FBAB04.jpeg

15593933-7D35-470F-81C2-C73E07E23FD6.jpeg

CD2F8274-E82D-404B-B822-8B6AE9563BB6.jpeg

4FB73086-6725-43ED-BB60-0D4C12D53974.jpeg

Edited by Mackdogmolly
Typo
  • Like 1

Final port yesterday in Nanaimo. We arrived at 2:00 pm, but after docking, the captain was told he had to move the ship a couple of meters (who knows why), thus delaying those with shore excursions. Luckily, it was a late night in port and I believe that Windows remained open late to accommodate those who arrived on board after lengthy excursions. We just took a free hop on/hop off shuttle into the town, where their Thursday night Street Fair had just started. It was blocks long and had crafts booths and food trucks and was quite festive. The early evening was rather quiet on the ship with many off on excursions and only one bar open per deck (per local regulations). We had our final dinner at Aqualina with a friend and after dinner drinks in the Living Room, which was also a bit quieter than usual. This morning we took a previously booked ship shuttle to Vancouver airport, which was well organized and easy enough, but honestly, the Sky Train would have been cheaper and faster. Fortunately, we had lots of time on our hands before our flight. Sad that this wonderful cruise has come to an end. We met some delightful people and the crew were outstanding. Can’t wait to cruise again.

F1833EFA-C165-450D-A383-8DD28D2A1C4A.jpeg

CB5A58CE-A4CE-4415-B741-2D54A10FEE8F.jpeg

5A3408CC-3115-4EAE-A501-B47C79538B61.jpeg

E0E29570-D570-42AE-B2E6-490FB809E73E.jpeg

0BE988B5-7391-41D6-B0E1-9430D2EDECC3.jpeg

35B20DBC-8ED5-454A-AC4B-B40D617E2B23.jpeg

Edited by Mackdogmolly
Typo

Thanks Macdogmolly for your great live blog.  Your photos really show the experience we had on this cruise.

Macdogmolly said " Final port yesterday in Nanaimo. We arrived at 2:00 pm, but after docking, the captain was told he had to move the ship a couple of meters (who knows why), thus delaying those with shore excursions. "  

The reason the ship had to moved was because the port  employee removing a fence section dropped and it it got stuck sideways so the gangway couldn't be put in place until the ship was moved a few meters to another section so a  port problem not the ship's.

maggie.1008 asked about the Crab Fest. I didn't go but I think it was $35.