QUESTION about keys

Cruising on Symphony of the Seas next week.  Two rooms for our family, but needed to put my husband in one and me in the other b/c kids are not older than 21 (they are almost 20 and 18).  So, they will have one room and we will have the other.  I guess the plan is for me to swap keys with one of my kids so that we can each get in to the correct room.  Will that be an issue when charging things?  For example, if I have my daughter's card, and I use it to purchase something, it will have her picture and data.  Or, if I went to purchase an alcoholic drink, technically I'd have my daughter's data and they wouldn't serve me.  Hopefully my question makes sense to you....thoughts?

As long as their rooms is near you, you could have booked them in one room and you and your husband in the 2nd room.   

That is what we did the last 2 cruises.  The first my girls did have a connecting cabin to us but the following year they were just next door. 

5 minutes ago, dprosinski said:

are they ok with the set up we are doing where technically nobody over the age of 21 is actually staying in that room?

Yes, once on board they don't care where anyone sleeps.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dprosinski said:

are they ok with the set up we are doing where technically nobody over the age of 21 is actually staying in that room?

The crew does not care where anyone sleeps onboard. 

I am surprised to read this, they allowed us to book our 5 and 9 year old children in the connecting stateroom... your kids are old enough to join the military!  

We have had success having all four key cards keyed to open either door.

2 hours ago, dprosinski said:

Yes, done it many times, even when my kids were younger.  Booked it that way (by calling in) or swapped rooms/occupants at check-in.  You can also get a spare "key" just to open the room too if you want to ensure you can access their room!

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

That's good information to know....thanks.  Our kids stateroom is across the hall so I was planning to just get an extra key.  But if we can re-key ours to open either door, that's better than having two 2 cards.

Edited by Mr. Candyman

5 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

That's good information to know....thanks.  Our kids stateroom is across the hall so I was planning to just get an extra key.  But if we can re-key ours to open either door, that's better than having two 2 cards.

Until that post I’ve never heard of that being able to be done.  I know they have never offered us that option on our last 20 cruises.  Guest services for extra keys is one of our first stops on boarding day.  

• Like 1

I have just shown this thread to DW. We have two staterooms booked, for our party of 5, and, to take advantage of Diamond discounts, we are (on paper anyway) separated, one of us in each room.

Despite having asked this previously, she was panicking that we wouldn't be able to switch rooms to reunite us!

Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, dprosinski said:

Cruising on Symphony of the Seas next week.  Two rooms for our family, but needed to put my husband in one and me in the other b/c kids are not older than 21 (they are almost 20 and 18).  So, they will have one room and we will have the other.  I guess the plan is for me to swap keys with one of my kids so that we can each get in to the correct room.  Will that be an issue when charging things?  For example, if I have my daughter's card, and I use it to purchase something, it will have her picture and data.  Or, if I went to purchase an alcoholic drink, technically I'd have my daughter's data and they wouldn't serve me.  Hopefully my question makes sense to you....thoughts?

If the rooms are next to each other or across the hall from each other, just call now and put your kids in one room and you and spouse in the other.  Then nobody has to switch anything.

13 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I am surprised to read this, they allowed us to book our 5 and 9 year old children in the connecting stateroom... your kids are old enough to join the military!  

A bit off topic, but people who weren't aware, the minimum age requirement is waived for military members (and also married individuals).  

3 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I have just shown this thread to DW. We have two staterooms booked, for our party of 5, and, to take advantage of Diamond discounts, we are (on paper anyway) separated, one of us in each room.

Despite having asked this previously, she was panicking that we wouldn't be able to switch rooms to reunite us!

Thanks guys!

Yes, once you're on board, Guest Services can switch people from one room to the other, so your key and SeaPass are all corrected.  Just take each person to the Guest Services desk and get new cards for everyone with the right room number on them.  They don't care that you got the discount for each room -- they are just glad you're spending money there!

3 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Thanks guys!

It's done all the time, no worries.

We are doing the same thing … our kids are younger.  

If you are bringing wine on board - just remember you get to bring two bottles per cabin since per the reservation, you have an adult in each cabin 🙂

Our travel agent had told us since the cabins were side by side, she could book the cabins with DH and I in one cabin and the kids in the second.  I kept it one adult per cabin so we can each bring two bottles .

• Like 1

Wow...you all are life savers....

We had to book the rooms in interesting ways for 5 people....no one was actually staying as recorded.  Now we know we can get an access key...whew.

Question.  Can we each get a key that would open all 3 rooms?  Might be easier to explain.

5 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

Question.  Can we each get a key that would open all 3 rooms?  Might be easier to explain.

Not sure a key can open more than one stateroom, might depend on the ship.  This cannot be done on older ships, in that case they would give you extra keys for all the staterooms you need to open.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not sure a key can open more than one stateroom, might depend on the ship.  This cannot be done on older ships, in that case they would give you extra keys for all the staterooms you need to open.

Thank you for the response....another question....we are Diamond Plus...could we ask the Diamond Concierge to do it or do we need to go to Guest Services?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:30 AM, brillohead said:

A bit off topic, but people who weren't aware, the minimum age requirement is waived for military members (and also married individuals).  

No problem, thank you. Topic never brought up here. Joined Military at 16yrs old myself, Married at 20, been cruising Royal for over 30yrs so was aware. But good to know info...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

Thank you for the response....another question....we are Diamond Plus...could we ask the Diamond Concierge to do it or do we need to go to Guest Services?

Some concierges have key making machines and some don't.  If you don't mind waiting until 4pm or so, then try the concierge.