Denver to New York Airport and Hotel help

jiminyC_fan

That’s okay.

Actually the MJ in my user name is a combo of my DH and my name.

Maybe that person who posts on the DIS boards is my writing doppelgänger -you know the person who looks so much like yourself that they could be your double?

Maybe that poster you refer to thinks and acts writes similarity to me,so they could be my posting double !

I was checking the Disney forum on CC to see if a friend I know that was on a Disney Cruise recently had posted anything about it.

I saw the question about NYC and thought I could chime in with some advice.

We often visited Disneyworld in our younger days,but in our last visit there about five years ago,we felt we had aged out of the experience. Too hot,busy and long lines for us Seniors.

Our grandchildren ((age 9 and 11) went to Disney for Summer vacation two years ago. They covered a lot of ground on that trip !

So now,they are fans of Harry Potter,animals and science. They also fence and one plays aucoustic  guitar in the school’s jazz band while the other plays bass in the school’s orchestra.

It seems that they have aged out of the Disney experience also !

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I saw the question about NYC and thought I could chime in with some advice.

We often visited Disneyworld in our younger days,but in our last visit there about five years ago,we felt we had aged out of the experience. Too hot,busy and long lines for us Seniors.

I am thankful that you did chime in.  You rock!  I have to agree that we've aged out as well.  This is a surprise trip for my daughter.  Our son in law asked us to go on their trip and it will be a surprise for her.  Can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Flying Denver to NYC might be easiest - although not cheapest - going into EWR, since both are United hubs.

Hotels are another animal depending on what you want.  There are some very low priced hotels like Yotel and Hub that are near the Manhattan Cruise terminal but offer literally skeleton services (check their websites) and everything else on up to 5 star luxury hotels.

You can take the NJ transit trains from the airport to Penn Station, or the airport bus to the Port Authority (Times Square area) fairly cheap, then get an Uber or Lyft to the hotel or cruise terminal.  The Newark Airport website, along with internet searches in general, have details.  Getting from the terminal to the train takes about 15 minutes between walking and the monorail.  Adult is $13, kid is $9 one way.  Taking Uber or Lyft will include a charge for the bridge/tunnel toll if you choose to do that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hope it's not too late to help.  We recently sailed a b2b out of NYC (9/30 Magic New England/Canada and 10/5 DVC member cruise to Bermuda).  We were in the same boat as you - no clue about transportation, hotels, etc. but here's what we ended up with and it couldn't have worked out better.

Ignoring everyone's advice about the massive mess that Laguardia is, we chose a nonstop flight from Orlando.  We prebooked a sedan with Carmel Limo ($42. to hotel (prepaid online) + tolls and tip paid in person).  Flight landed early, we called the number they gave us and were met within 15 minutes.  The trip to midtown Manhattan was only about 35 minutes - some traffic but not bad considering it was the end of U.N. week and also that afternoon was a concert in Central Park with an estimated 60,000 people. 

The hotel we booked was Hampton Inn Times Square Central on 41st street.  Price for 2 nights was half what we were quoted by DCL for the Marriott Marquis.  The hotel was on W. 41st between 7th and 8th and was a perfect location.  It was a relatively quiet street but only 1/2 a block from the craziness of 7th, 8th, 42nd, etc.  It was modern and clean, the hotel staff was amazing, free wifi, free breakfast, coffee & tea 24/7 in the lobby and fresh cookies every afternoon. 

It was a 5 minute walk to the St. James Theater (where we saw a sunday matinee of Frozen - LOVED it).  After the play we ate at Carmine's (a few doors down from the theater), where we had an amazing meal.  Hint if you eat there - go with more than 2 people.  The food is served family style so don't be shocked by the menu prices.  We ordered Veal Parmesian over angel hair pasta.  They came out with a platter that had at least a pound of pasta covered with 2 of the biggest veal cutlets I've ever seen.  It was just the 2 of us - this could have easily fed 4 people.  For dessert we ordered cheesecake - jokingly asked the waitress "this isn't going to be a whole cheesecake, is it?" and she said we could just get the small order since it was just 2 of us.  Well she came out with 1/2 a cheesecake - again, would have been plenty for 4 people.  The meal was delicious!

On the morning of the cruise, we checked out & the bellman hailed us a cab to the port - short ride - $12. + tip.

After the b2b cruises we used DCL transportation back to Laguardia.  Easy & convenient.

Sorry for the long story - hope some of this might help.  I know how we felt when trying to figure everything out - total anxiety when you know nothing about the city.  This hotel turned out to be perfect - was also just a short walk to the Disney Store, Carlo's Bakery (Cake Boss from TV), Times Square, etc.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cedricandsophie said:

In PR you clear customs at pier to get your luggage. But there is still passport control at PR airport. And if you are flying from PR to the states you probably need to clear customs at your home airport. 

I realize this is an old thread that's been revived but just to clarify here..... Puerto Rico is in the US so flights from there to the mainland are domestic, no immigration and customs needed upon arrival.  To further clarify though, when you fly in to the US from an international destination, you do not clear customs at your "home airport," unless you happen to have a nonstop from the foreign country to your home airport.  You clear immigration and customs at your FIRST stop in the US.   So for ex, if your home airport is Rochester and you are flying London to New York to Rochester, you clear immigration and customs in New York, not Rochester.