RC changed my room

Just now, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Amen. There have been data breeches in the EU as well...the only significant thing different - fines are bigger.

There have been hefty fines here in the US, in addition to provide each person credit control/supervisions by the offending company.  I've got 2-3 of these going on right now.  Get monthly/quarterly reports as to the status of my credit standing.

13 minutes ago, nelblu said:

There have been hefty fines here in the US, in addition to provide each person credit control/supervisions by the offending company.  I've got 2-3 of these going on right now.  Get monthly/quarterly reports as to the status of my credit standing.

Indeed there have been a few big ones...but the EU appears to want to severely punish companies as their predominant incentive to become obsessed with data security. Data security is important of course. Using the same computers, same firewalls, same hardware, same network controls, same identity protocols....the EU may only have different procedures to differentiate itself on security. While there are some really solid data-protection methods in computer technology...there's also on reality...

Rule #1 about data retention...for every lock...there's a key. 

As for the topic at hand...it exposes as much about the risks that come with human interaction with computers as it does anything about security.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

42 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Once you get outside the U.S....air travel is an entirely different experience. There are plenty of anecdotal tales of how passengers become treated differently, regardless of status. Sometimes better, sometimes not.

I travel internationally about 40% of the year.  I have flown on well over 100 different airlines, to almost 150 countries. Well over 3 million miles.

This is the first time that something like this has happened.

Every other time, status has been recognized and treated well.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PlanetX said:

That may be, but gate agents flat-out lie as well. I was on a Delta flight DCA-ATL-STT once, a 757 on both legs.  I flew down seated next to my family in a window seat, got to ATL no problem.  Then when it comes time to board, I get called to the desk and the agent tries to give me a new boarding pass for an aisle seat away from my family, claiming that it's due to an equipment change.  I looked her straight in the eye and told her I was on the flight from DCA, on the same 757 that's going to St. Thomas, that I sat at the gate watching out the window and that plane didn't budge.  Asked her to tell me again why my seat was changed.  She looked annoyed and refused to answer - finally got me switched to a window seat (what I paid for) but unfortunately away from my family.

Moral of the story is, don't trust gate agents when they try to sell you on a story.  Use your head, and challenge them (politely) if necessary.

How do you know that the equipment change was not TO the 757 your had arrived on?

The flight could have originally been on a 767.

Or, even with the same type of aircraft, there are different seating configurations.

I have gone from a 767 to a different configuration of 767 that required EVERY boarding pass to be reissued.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Having flown to 5 continents, all 50 states, and more than 2 million miles (with multiple airlines)..my experience has been nothing even remotely close to yours.  Any misinformation you may hear at a gate is likely the result of misinformation they are provided to communicate to passengers...they are the messengers when delays / major changes occur.

Many times I have seen it being the passengers not listening to what is being said and misunderstanding.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

I travel internationally about 40% of the year.  I have flown on well over 100 different airlines, to almost 150 countries. Well over 3 million miles.

This is the first time that something like this has happened.

Every other time, status has been recognized and treated well.

I can certainly believe it. Status helps no doubt - We have it too.  But as we know...no guarantees on the specific result every single time.

In the case of this cruise passenger...there's a strong case that Royal needed to do the right things to correct the situation, regardless of the cause.

56 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Indeed there have been a few big ones...but the EU appears to want to severely punish companies as their predominant incentive to become obsessed with data security. Data security is important of course. Using the same computers, same firewalls, same hardware, same network controls, same identity protocols....the EU can only have different procedures to differentiate itself on security. While there are some really solid data-protection methods in computer technology...there's also on indisputable reality...

Rule #1 about data retention...for every lock...there's a key. 

As for the topic at hand...it exposes as much about the risks that come with human interaction with computers as it does anything about security.

Human error is the #1 cause of computer-based errors. 

Based on the OP...there may have been either a systemic or human source of the problem...but a human will have to correct it.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

13 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

You'd need much more than a request to get that information...likely a subpoena.

for US citizens sure, but under GDPR which is in effect for all EU citizens all you have to do is request a copy of the information a company has on you and they have to provide all their data to you as is with no edits/changes and within a timely manner. So, if an EU customer requested their info and received something that noted they were a problem customer (because Royal would not be allowed to delete that before sending it along) for example, you know it would turn into an outrage echoed across all customers everywhere especially the ones who can't legally request their file as easily to see what RC said about them (aka US folks). so RCI wouldn't risk bringing themselves that kind of negative media attention by putting those kinds of notes on customer files

Edited by CarnivalCruiser32
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Update.

After spending more than an hour on the phone with Royal today I can let you know the outcome in my situation.  

I had had two clients reservations that were changed from an 8D to a 3D guarantee.  Finally got a hold of someone in revenue involved in this project and was told (at least for my clients cabins) that the move to a 3D guarantee was temporary as they changed cabin categories.  Apparently  there cannot be guests  in the cabin for them to change categories so they need to move people out before moving them back. I was assured that my clients would be moved back to their original booked staterooms and was told yes.  When I asked for this in writing they provided it to me in writing.  Hopefully many others fall under this scenario and will not be moved. 

so glad to hear they'll make it right!!

2 hours ago, SRF said:

How do you know that the equipment change was not TO the 757 your had arrived on?

The flight could have originally been on a 767.

Or, even with the same type of aircraft, there are different seating configurations.

I have gone from a 767 to a different configuration of 767 that required EVERY boarding pass to be reissued.

Because it wasn't.  The flight was a single flight number, routing DCA-ATL-STT.  Same seating chart for both flights, same 757-200 layout.  It was supposed to be the same aircraft the entire way from start to finish, just a stop in Atlanta on the way.

There was no change of equipment whatsoever - not even to a different 757 - and I know this because I stayed in the gate area and watched the a/c from the window the entire time.  The gate agent thought they could pull a fast one and shift things around, and the look on her face when I called her on it proved that.

Certainly understand that airlines change a/c all the time for ops reasons, but that was not the case in this instance.

Edited by PlanetX

On 7/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, PlanetX said:

Because it wasn't.  The flight was a single flight number, routing DCA-ATL-STT.  Same seating chart for both flights, same 757-200 layout.  It was supposed to be the same aircraft the entire way from start to finish, just a stop in Atlanta on the way.

There was no change of equipment whatsoever - not even to a different 757 - and I know this because I stayed in the gate area and watched the a/c from the window the entire time.  The gate agent thought they could pull a fast one and shift things around, and the look on her face when I called her on it proved that.

Certainly understand that airlines change a/c all the time for ops reasons, but that was not the case in this instance.

OK.  I have had single flight numbers change not only aircraft, but entire terminals (AA through MIA, including having to do security again).

On 7/9/2019 at 9:18 AM, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

for US citizens sure, but under GDPR which is in effect for all EU citizens all you have to do is request a copy of the information a company has on you and they have to provide all their data to you as is with no edits/changes and within a timely manner. So, if an EU customer requested their info and received something that noted they were a problem customer (because Royal would not be allowed to delete that before sending it along) for example, you know it would turn into an outrage echoed across all customers everywhere especially the ones who can't legally request their file as easily to see what RC said about them (aka US folks). so RCI wouldn't risk bringing themselves that kind of negative media attention by putting those kinds of notes on customer files

Actually, GDPR only pertains to information that a company collects from you or outside sources.  A flag regarding a company's internal assessment of your purchase behavior or customer support is not covered under GDPR and can be withheld from a consumer's request.  GDPR is about protecting consumer's personal identifiable information only (name, address, TN, email address, IP address, etc.).  A flag identifying someone as a constant complainer or frequent purchaser is an internal assessment and does not uniquely identify the consumer.  You are right though that Royal does have to be GDPR compliant since they have EU customers.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:26 PM, Suzyq52 said:

I booked a specific Oasis 2020 boardwalk balcony (the cabin closest to the aqua theatre) when it was first released. Then I happened to notice this week that it went to GTY. Now travel agent says my original cabin is no longer available. I got $100 OBC from RC for the mistake, which I guess is better than nothing. What is going on with RC? Well, at least I got the $18 drink package for this and two other 2020 sailings. But, I’m constantly going on line now to check my upcoming cruises.

So they honored the mistake made?

13 hours ago, gerig said:

So they honored the mistake made?

Well, RC honored the mistake by giving me a $100 OBC but they could not give me my original cabin that I really wanted as it was no longer available. My TA was the one to help me get that credit thru her RC rep.  It’s done now. Not the end of the world, but I’ll admit I was upset when it happened.

16 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

A flag identifying someone as a constant complainer or frequent purchaser is an internal assessment and does not uniquely identify the consumer.

I don't want to get dragged into the debate, plus its off topic, but if the flag is identifying someone as a constant complainer then it will uniquely identify the consumer, otherwise it is pointless.

55 minutes ago, icsys said:

I don't want to get dragged into the debate, plus its off topic, but if the flag is identifying someone as a constant complainer then it will uniquely identify the consumer, otherwise it is pointless.

Nope, a simple rating flag such as 0=never complained to a 10=>10 complaints are typical flags.  This in no way identifies the consumer, only their behavior.  By itself it is useless.  Plus you did not get the information from external sources (the consumer or 3rd party).  Sorry for being off-topic, just clarifying a previous comment.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:14 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No not really any data breeches - what are you referring to?🤔

The US is the land of the daily data breeches.....!🙄

Of course people in the US wear breeches. What does that have to do with data security?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mythbuster said:

This in no way identifies the consumer, only their behavior.  By itself it is useless. 

I think they don't understand that each piece of information is viewed on its own merits. 

A name identifies you.  An address identifies you.  A phone number identifies you.  A date of birth identifies you.  A SSN identifies you. 

Adjectives like "super sweet and understanding" and "grumpy lying scammer" don't identify you.  

22 hours ago, brillohead said:

I think they don't understand that each piece of information is viewed on its own merits. 

A name identifies you.  An address identifies you.  A phone number identifies you.  A date of birth identifies you.  A SSN identifies you. 

Adjectives like "super sweet and understanding" and "grumpy lying scammer" don't identify you.  

The term is UNIQUELY identify you.

The last two posted may identify a person, but not only THAT person. 😄

• Like 1