Found a More Recent Photo of Nieuw Amsterdam III Being Scrapped. So Sad.

rjbean4

Earlier today I decided to see if I could find a more recent picture to see what Our beloved Nieuw Amsterdam III looks like as she is being scrapped. Se was our firs HAL ship back in December, 1988. We were on board for her 12 day Christmas Cruise when we did the partial canal transit on Christmas day with the Rotterdam V. We have been at sea for the Holidays every year ever since. I am actually currently working on digitizing the pictures from that cruise by using a negative scanner to scan the negatives and then some photo editing software to clean them up as much as I can. Yes I still have the negatives for the cruises we have done till going digital in 2004. When I found this picture I was speechless and thought about all the memories from the time we cruised on her. Till this day we have more days on her than any of the other Dam Ships we have been on at a total of 107 days (9 cruises) but our days on Nieuw Amsterdam IV are #2  (96 days & 13 cruises) so  the next time we can get on her will hopefully be enough to take over the top spot for us.  

1280px-La_Spirit.jpg

This Nieuw Amsterdam was also our first HAL cruise ship, in March of 1984.  This ship has alway held a special place in our memories.

I still have an original Ocean Liner Directory of the Nieuw Amsterdam - How times have changed.

My most treasured momentum of the Nieuw Amsterdam is the original ship's interior forward Upper Promenade Deck Brass Plaque.  We spent many hours of relaxation on that deck. 

7 hours ago, ski ww said:

This was our first HAL ship as well. New Years cruise 88-89. Thanks for posting.

Wow! So the day we disembarked in 88 after the Christmas cruise you went out on her for New Years. Our first 8 HAL cruises were on her and the last was in April, 1995 which was her last cruise from Tampa before leaving for the summer at that time.  I know I have pictures of her going under the Skyway Bridge for the last time and have found I also have a video of it on a VHS tape that I need to convert to digital.

Our first ever cruise was on NCL's Sunward II in 1984 followed by our 2nd on the Norway in 85. Of course both of those ships have been scrapped and long gone but seeing this happening to our first HAL ship is much harder to take. We can sure get attached to them like those of us with aviation backgrounds get attached to the planes and see then retired from service to the desert. 

Edited by rjbean4