Heathrow terminal 5

ncgolferette

I will be flying on BA from Munich to Washington Dulles via Heathrow next month.   It appears that my flight from Munich to LHR and LHR to IAD will all be at terminal five.  I’m confused as to whether I would always have to go to the main terminal If my Munich flight arrives at terminal 5b and my flight to IAD would depart from a gate at 5b. If I arrive at terminal 5b and depart at 5C do I need to go to the main terminal.  Why can’t I just go to 5C when I get off the Munich flight? I sure would appreciate any information.

I am interested in the answer, also.

I have a ticket on British Airline Rome- LHR-YYZ (Toronto, Canada).  I would have all my boarding pass and luggage would go through to YYZ.

Edited by phabric

4 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

I will be flying on BA from Munich to Washington Dulles via Heathrow next month.   It appears that my flight from Munich to LHR and LHR to IAD will all be at terminal five.  I’m confused as to whether I would always have to go to the main terminal If my Munich flight arrives at terminal 5b and my flight to IAD would depart from a gate at 5b. If I arrive at terminal 5b and depart at 5C do I need to go to the main terminal.  Why can’t I just go to 5C when I get off the Munich flight? I sure would appreciate any information.

T5B > T5B

T5_FCC.001.png

T5B > T5C

T5_FCC.002.png

Note "FCC" means the T5B Flight Connections Centre.  You'll go through security but not passport control there.  Your bags will go through to your final destination or first US point of entry if IAD isn't your final destination, where you'll go through both immigration and customs.  Same for the flight to YYZ.

Edited by Gardyloo

My understanding is you cannot clear security within T5B or T5C unless your flight is showing as one of the "Time Critical Flight Connections" on the boards when you are walking towards the transit in T5B or T5C. Although I use T5 a decent amount connections for me are pretty rare so I've not had to use the TCFC capability before. 

• 1 month later...

May you FLY like the wind! We went through this nightmare last October. We landed at Heathrow from Seattle and then had a connecting flight to Rome. We figured that 1.5 HOURS would be plenty to get to the next gate (had researched this on CC of course) especially since it was with the same airline (BA). LOL! Heathrow is a mess, but please realize that we are spoiled by PDX.

19 hours ago, nini said:

May you FLY like the wind! We went through this nightmare last October. We landed at Heathrow from Seattle and then had a connecting flight to Rome. We figured that 1.5 HOURS would be plenty to get to the next gate (had researched this on CC of course) especially since it was with the same airline (BA). LOL! Heathrow is a mess, but please realize that we are spoiled by PDX.

I'd say that T5 is pretty good for International Transfers. Not sure why you would say it is a mess. 

If you are used to a small airport such as PDX, I can understand why you might have been overwhelmed, but thousands of pax transfer every day within the minimum  90 minutes transfer time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'd say that T5 is pretty good for International Transfers. Not sure why you would say it is a mess. 

If you are used to a small airport such as PDX, I can understand why you might have been overwhelmed, but thousands of pax transfer every day within the minimum  90 minutes transfer time.

Heathrow has around 80 million passengers a year....PDX about 10 million.  Vast vast difference.

It was a MAXIMUM of 90 minutes; not a minimum. We nearly missed the flight. We also fly out of Seattle and others and have been fine. I know of many who really dislike their experience at LHR as well. We are LAX people of the past.

I was addressing the OP to share our experience since it was applicable. The comparison was a contrast to assist others as well.

So sorry that I mentioned PDX. It was not meant as a direct comparison by any means. It was just me chatting- and bragging about the awards PDX has won. There are airports the same size and smaller which are miserable (ONT is one).

And yes; FlyerTalker, I have valued your knowledge over the past few years as well. 

I always allow at least three hours for any change at heathrow,   I have seen way too many stressed people,  as often flights arrive a little late.  There can often be congestion for gates and we have spent sometimes a lot of time circling prior to landing.