Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
acruisefan

Formal night long dress question

Recommended Posts

We will be going on a 7 day Baltic cruise soon. Will a long black fancy dress for Formal night be too much? My DH will be wearing a black suit & white shirt - no tux. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen (and worn) everything from long dresses to shorter dresses to palazzo pants on formal nights.  The international hostesses are usually in lovely long gowns.  The only time I questioned an interpretation on formal night were the ladies in gold hot pants, tiny tanks, and spike heels.  Baltic cruise.  Yes, they were seated for dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MHF said:

I have seen (and worn) everything from long dresses to shorter dresses to palazzo pants on formal nights.  The international hostesses are usually in lovely long gowns.  The only time I questioned an interpretation on formal night were the ladies in gold hot pants, tiny tanks, and spike heels.  Baltic cruise.  Yes, they were seated for dinner.

 

WOW!!  That's a unique visual image.  Can't re-call ever seeing 'ladies in gold hot pants, tiny tanks, and spike heels" during any of our five previous Silversea sailings.  Has that been good or bad luck?  Agree with MHF that what your clothing plan for the Baltics should work well. Good luck in the Baltics.  Will you have have three days in St. Petersburg?  Great, amazing and historic city!!  Are you consider doing the one-day trip to Moscow?  That can be wonderful, too!!  Need more background as to why? 

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,205 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Terry, I heard from Rex in the casino bar that it was a South American group.  Very expensive clothing I"m sure but not to my taste.  They are also the ones that refused to leave the casino during the storm in the Channel.

 

Have a wonderful time in Alaska!  I am planning a Princess cruise there for August 2020 with a friend and her mother.  We want to do Glacier Bay and College Fjord which SS doesn't offer.

 

Missy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MHF said:

Hi Terry, I heard from Rex in the casino bar that it was a South American group.  Very expensive clothing I"m sure but not to my taste.  They are also the ones that refused to leave the casino during the storm in the Channel. Have a wonderful time in Alaska!  I am planning a Princess cruise there for August 2020 with a friend and her mother.  We want to do Glacier Bay and College Fjord which SS doesn't offer.  Missy

 

Appreciate, Missy, this added background and follow-up.  One out of two is not bad.  Very expensive clothing can be nice, but, however,  "ladies in gold hot pants, tiny tanks, and spike heels" is not as desirable or delightful.

 

THANKS for the kind wishes for our upcoming Silver Muse cruise in Alaska!  I hear that the Hubbard Glacier offering by Silversea works well, but I assume Glacier Bay is also very nice.  We've done just one sailing with Princess.  It was for the Panama Canal with my wife's high school friends.  Worked well.  BUT, we did not like the excessive commercial/sales pitches by Princess.   

 

Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 29,094 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never wear a floor length gown if my husband was only wearing a suit.  Cocktail dress or evening pants and top are perfect when the DH is wearing a suit.  Long gowns go with tuxedos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO you can wear what you want, who cares if it 'has' to be short dress with a suit.

 

If you like the dress, you're happy wearing it and it fits you (how I wish more women paid attention to their rear view in too-small dresses!) - go ahead and wear it and feel happy. Ignore the what-goes-with-what police.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I would never wear a floor length gown if my husband was only wearing a suit.  Cocktail dress or evening pants and top are perfect when the DH is wearing a suit.  Long gowns go with tuxedos.  

Hi, I respectfully disagree.  I have seen many gowns over the years and the other person was wearing a suit......I thought they looked fine together. (just my opinion).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think and long gown and tuxedo go together rather well. 

 

But my wife says they make me look silly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jollyjones said:

IMO you can wear what you want, who cares if it 'has' to be short dress with a suit.

 

If you like the dress, you're happy wearing it and it fits you (how I wish more women paid attention to their rear view in too-small dresses!) - go ahead and wear it and feel happy. Ignore the what-goes-with-what police.

Yes, I’ve seen it all on cruise ships.  

 It’s not a matter of policing, just style.  I actually don’t care what other people wear, only what I wear.  The OP must have been hesitant, otherwise would not have posed the question.  Opinions asked for and given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MHF said:

I have seen (and worn) everything from long dresses to shorter dresses to palazzo pants on formal nights.  The international hostesses are usually in lovely long gowns.  The only time I questioned an interpretation on formal night were the ladies in gold hot pants, tiny tanks, and spike heels.  Baltic cruise.  Yes, they were seated for dinner.

And did you lose your appetite because they were seated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wripro said:

And did you lose your appetite because they were seated?

no, but a number of gentlemen got whiplash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MHF said:

no, but a number of gentlemen got whiplash.

And probably enjoyed every minute!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MHF said:

no, but a number of gentlemen got whiplash.

No, not ‘gentlemen’. 

Boys with their prurient little habits. 

So sad we still have to put up with such childish nonsense. 

The hot pants wearers only do it because so called grown men will go foolish at the implied offering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the great advice!

MHF - I had to laugh at the thought of those outfits! What a sight! I was on a Windstar cruise a few years ago & there was a group of 12 friends from South Africa celebrating a 50th birthday - they were a wild and friendly group! One night at the Captains Dinner which is a a bit more dressy but still pretty casual, one of the women showed up in a mini skirt that had tiny beading in an intricate pattern - stunning and very expensive looking, if quite short! She paired it with gladiator sandals With straps up to her knees . 99.5% of the population could never pull off this look - but she could! It was just ....Wow! A traffic stopper ....but in a good way. 

 

I’m less concerned with the look of my husband not in a tux and me in a long dress. I agree with a true ball gown it looks best with your partner in a tux. I’m concerned about being the only one in a long dress and feeling out of place. I’ve heard the 7 day cruises are a bit more casual even on formal night. Actually I’m more comfortable in this particular long dress than one of my cocktail dresses because it’s more flowy, and not clinging to my rear (agreed JollyJones!) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be cheeky (no pun intended given the mini skirt references) but the only time I'd worry about matching outfit dressiness would be the bride & groom figures (or groom/groom or bride/bride) on top of a wedding cake....otherwise, it's an individual thing.  Enjoy your choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, acruisefan said:

Thanks for all of the great advice!

MHF - I had to laugh at the thought of those outfits! What a sight! I was on a Windstar cruise a few years ago & there was a group of 12 friends from South Africa celebrating a 50th birthday - they were a wild and friendly group! One night at the Captains Dinner which is a a bit more dressy but still pretty casual, one of the women showed up in a mini skirt that had tiny beading in an intricate pattern - stunning and very expensive looking, if quite short! She paired it with gladiator sandals With straps up to her knees . 99.5% of the population could never pull off this look - but she could! It was just ....Wow! A traffic stopper ....but in a good way. 

 

I’m less concerned with the look of my husband not in a tux and me in a long dress. I agree with a true ball gown it looks best with your partner in a tux. I’m concerned about being the only one in a long dress and feeling out of place. I’ve heard the 7 day cruises are a bit more casual even on formal night. Actually I’m more comfortable in this particular long dress than one of my cocktail dresses because it’s more flowy, and not clinging to my rear (agreed JollyJones!) . 

The only thing to be concerned about is how you feel about what you are wearing. If you like it and feel conformable who cares what others think? The Fashion Police died with Joan Rivers!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...