Best whale watching in Juneau

Mackie2u2

Will be in Juneau on Sept 23 and would like to whale watch.  Is it best to book thru Holland Eurodam excursions or cruise critic or someplace else?  Any recommendations for best one?Thanks!

We were on the Oosterdam June 23-30 and did the HAL excursion "Discovering Alaska's Whales: A Small Group Excursion" which was contracted through Gastineau Guiding. I was very pleased with them. Our boat had 20 passengers and the side windows totally opened up so you had a clear view when we saw whales. They were very accommodating of DH's walking issues and another man, who had more issues than DH, was well taken care of. Abby and Captain Lee made every effort to have everyone on board and enjoying the excursion. I would recommend the excursion very highly. 

Karen

P1020178.jpg

• Like 1

Jayleen's Alaska gets my vote. We were picked up right by the ship and taken to a Bay about 5 miles from Mendenhall Glacier. We had an awesome time on June 21st.  She only takes out 6 people on her boat.  We saw several whales, eagles flying and fighting over fish, glaciers and sea lions.  It was a lovely day weather wise.  After our tour we were dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier.  We called a taxi ahead of time to pick us up and transport us back to the ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, g&gtravel said:

We have been out with Harv and Marv two times and if I am back again, would not consider anyone else. 

Another vote for Harv & Marv.

If you take a ship's excursion you will be on a boat with possibly 100 or more people.

H&V has boats with six people. Everyone sees everything.

• Like 1

We just returned from our Alaska cruise.  We had a family group of 10, so we booked a boat with Harv and Marv's.  It was an excellent trip.  I would book with Harv and Marv's again.

• Like 1

Tried emailing and calling Jayleen but was not able to reach her so we booked with Harv and Marv-there was only 2 openings left on our day in Juneau and we were concerned they'd sell out. Lesson learned here is book earlier! We will next trip.

• Like 1

Just want to update. Jayleen did email me the next day and was gracious about letting me know about other whale watch tours that might have an earlier time. I think its good to support local businesses and would have been happy to book with her if I had looked earlier or if she had an online booking service.

• Like 1

I did book us with Harv and Marv.  Thanks everyone for the input, I would not of known about them without this post.  Am so excited about our cruise and whale watching!  Thanks again!

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, Mackie2u2 said:

Will be in Juneau on Sept 23 and would like to whale watch.  Is it best to book thru Holland Eurodam excursions or cruise critic or someplace else?  Any recommendations for best one?Thanks!

We were on a two week Alaska cruise last August and had several cruises in different ports through a company called Allen Marine.  They were all wonderful.  We saw amazing whales and other wildlife.  I think they were all ship's excursions.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, HistoryTeacher said:

We were on a two week Alaska cruise last August and had several cruises in different ports through a company called Allen Marine.  They were all wonderful.  We saw amazing whales and other wildlife.  I think they were all ship's excursions.

We were also on this cruise and took the ship's excursions with Allen Marine.  I agree that they were great!

We used Harv and Marv.  

Booked with them before our cruise.  Wonderful!  Our boat driver/guide was knowledgable, personable, and a good driver. He knew the habits and locations of the wildlife during the previous days of our visit so was able to anticipate where to go for best opportunity to see whales, seals, etc.  Price was good, size of group participants was good - 6-8 people, so viewing, seating, picture taking, videoing was optimal.

We would happily use their company on a future visit.