When to Book Cruise for 2020

TWebby

Hi!

New to cruising and am looking at an OCT 2020 cruise on the Gem to Bermuda.  When is the best time to book a cruise? Will rates change or skyrocket etc over the next few months?  Im assuming just like with airline tickets they will.  Plus this will be anniversary and bday celebration, trying to talk hubby into a suite for the extra perks.  Any feedback on that that would sway him?  :)  Thanks in advance!

I've been booked for April 2021 since January of this year if that helps answer your question. Prices are only going to continue to rise and you should be booked by now for 2020.... All pricing trends continue up and up fast lately ......  My 2021 cruise is already $1500 more than what I paid. 

Edited by tallnthensome

ASAP

By booking early, you get the better choice of available staterooms. If prices go up, you are locked in to the lower price. If prices go down, you'll probably be able to cancel/rebook at the lower price. If promos get better, it may be beneficial to cancel/rebook. Last minute price drops (after final payment date) are to fill the ship and drops then shouldn't bother you.

Cruise prices tend to follow a bell curve over time.  They start low, then go up as demand increases.  Then, they'll drop like a stone after final payment, which can yield some fantastic bargains, but only for unsold cabins; there's no telling if you'll be able to get a cabin in the category you want.  Also, the last-minute sailaway fares typically don't have perks, like the beverage package.  Only you can say whether that's an important factor for you.

Moral:  Book as early as possible, or wait until the last minute.  

EDIT: On re-reading, I noticed that you mention a suite... the unsold "fire-sale" cabins tend to be the lower-priced insides & suchlike.  It's almost impossible to get a suite at a sailaway price.  I'd book as soon as you can.

Edited by trivimp

It depends on whether it's high season or if it's a popular ship or destination.   I tend to do the "low popularity" cruises and the price can drop as it gets closer and they have unsold rooms.   However, I was watching the Panama Canal cruises and if I want a balcony I decided I'd better book now for 2021 because many times, they run out and I'd have to be stuck inside or pay for a suite.

If it's a special occasion, I'd just book it and enjoy the trip.   However, if you need a deal and are more flexible you could wait til 2-3 mos in advance and see what's available.   When I retire, I will likely book "last minute"...which means 6 mos for the more expensive, exotic cruises or 2-3 mos for the mass market.

There was a thread here awhile back that discussed how cruise pricing goes. The basis of it is supply, demand, and historical data. Most sailings are announced about 2yrs out. They watch how fast bookings are going compared to historical data - filling too fast - they increase the price - sales lower than normal - decrease price. I booked rooms as close to this time as possible, then sat back the price go up and up right up to final payment time. These last 120 days are frantic fill in time. They try to fill in the unsold cabins - usually with steep price reductions and the upgrade bidding process.

If you book early you can watch prices and if necessary cancel and re-book - caveat here you will have to take the booking perks at the time of the re-book. Example- I booked under a distinctive voyages promo that added 120min of free ship to shore phone and an additional 50.00 shore ex credit. along with more internet minutes - If I were to rebook now I would lose that. Since my next cruise is a long one through the Panama Canal I feel that the 120 min of telephone time would be a very useful perk for keeping touch with the family at home. The extra 50 in shore ex is also going to come in handy.

I’m on a ta in April 2020 my mini suite has gone up $500 pp, so $1000 since I booked it back in May. 

On popular sailings the drastic price drop is usually after final payment and Cabin selection is slim pickings, that’s not to say I don’t periodically check pricing before final payment, but my experience is the price goes up

Edited by njkate

• 2 weeks later...

Folks  I am curious about the book, cancel, rebook  philosophy as it relates to trip insurance.  Will the insurers allow the cruise insurance to follow you as long as you are on the same sailing? I am talking about 3rd party policies not anything purchased from NCL.  Thanks!