Cruise Critic Community
dmcfad2

Baltic Weather in August Question

Posted (edited)

To anyone who has been to this region before, here comes the obligatory packing question: are the days fairly warm in mid-August/earlySeptember? I have looked at average weather. It sounds pretty mild, low seventies, which sounds great to me. Just wondering if one can be comfortable in shorts for day time wear, on average? Also, do nights get pretty cold or are light jackets usually enough?

Edited by dmcfad2

Its usually pretty nice in Germany in early October, so for Sept. shorts might be okay, but have a pair of trousers just in case.  Yes a windbreaker would be ideal, just do the layering thing....short sleeve shirts, a light cardigan and then a thin windbreaker.  You should be fine.  In St.  Petersburg it might not be enough but I've never been there so, no clue.

we did the Baltics with Princess two years ago- mid August. Definitely layer, and bring sweaters/rain poncho. It was much cooler, and rainier than we planned for. We toured St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm in pouring rain, the entire day.

Layers will suit you well. It can be cold, windy, and damp - especially St. Petersburg. The evenings tend to get chilly but no telling what the conditions will be this August. 

Apart from the weather, if you are going into a city and hoping to pop into churches etc. then shorts or other revealing clothes may not be appropriate.  Even on hot days always carry an over blouse, even on hot days to cover up, both for discretion and also  protects against hot sun, which you can get, but can not be guaranteed.  I tend to wear a skirt and sleeveless T shirt into cities on hot days, but with the optional over blouse.  

Edited by tring