Martin Rosales (Cartagena Tour Guides) requested our passport numbers for tour ??

gene101

Hi, all,

We are a family of three from Canada going to a Panama Cruise with Island Princess in December this year.

Based on the recommendation from some members in Cruise Critic, I decided to book a tour with Martin Rosales of Cartagena Tour Guides.

He emailed me and requested our full names and ID.  When I asked what kind of ID he required, he replied that he needs our passport numbers.   This puzzle me quite a bit.  I have been using private tours in South America, Europe etc and never once the tour guide asked for our ID (passport numbers) to book a seat.

I feel uncomfortable giving out our passport numbers for a tour guide ( evening if he is recommended by member of the cruise Critic).  

I am not sure why he needs our ID for booking a tour?

question:  Do you few safe giving out your passport number to a tour guide to confirm a seat?

Regards,

gene

I'm not familiar with that tour operator, but a couple of years ago a small group of us on our Roll Call booked a private tour in Cartagena with Dora de Zubiria ("Dora the Explorer").  I had organized the tour.  We were never asked for any ID information, let alone our passport numbers.    Personally, I would ask him why he needs this information.   

(The tour was great, BTW.)