Art Mel’s

NCteacherlovescruising

11 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Should we take a bus or taxi from Hamilton?  Cost?

It is takeout. No seating. So you should take a taxi and have the taxi wait. Take the taxi back to Hamilton and eat your sandwiches in one of the parks on the waterfront. There is a park with picnic tables behind the ferry terminal.  I don't know the cost. The taxis are metered so that would depend on the wait time. 

Edited by Charles4515

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is takeout. No seating. So you should take a taxi and have the taxi wait. Take the taxi back to Hamilton and eat your sandwiches in one of the parks on the waterfront. There is a park with picnic tables behind the ferry terminal.  I don't know the cost. The taxis are metered so that would depend on the wait time. 

I’m aware of the takeout, but it sounds quite expensive to have a cab wait. I’ve heard wait time is typically 20-30 minutes. 

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’m aware of the takeout, but it sounds quite expensive to have a cab wait. I’ve heard wait time is typically 20-30 minutes. 

Most people who have been going there do it on a taxi tour or other tour that has a fixed rate. `

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Most people who have been going there do it on a taxi tour or other tour that has a fixed rate. `

Got ya!  Maybe we will just do Woodys or the Anchor at Dockyard. It seems like a lot of time and expensive for sandwich, and I’ve read good things about those too. 

22 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Looking at the distance, I figure  the fare would be about $10 each way from Hamilton. If it is possible to get a taxi there then you would not have to have a taxi wait. That I don't know. The risk is cold sandwich. While people talk about having problems finding taxis I never had a problem during the day. About 75% of the time when waiting for a bus a taxi would stop and ask if we wanted a ride. At John Smith's Bay I stood there for a few minutes and hailed a passing taxi. Since Art Mels is popular maybe taxi drivers stop there for takeout all the time. 

Are you "walkers"?  Someone posted on the Art Mel's site that it's about a 30 minute walk from the ferry dock in Hamilton. For us, that would be the way we'd go.  Bermuda is so lovely, a 30 minute walk would be a delight and a nice way to spend an afternoon.  Just get a map or mapquest it.

3 hours ago, marco said:

Are you "walkers"?  Someone posted on the Art Mel's site that it's about a 30 minute walk from the ferry dock in Hamilton. For us, that would be the way we'd go.  Bermuda is so lovely, a 30 minute walk would be a delight and a nice way to spend an afternoon.  Just get a map or mapquest it.

I have inquired about walking there but I was told it would not be a pedestrian friendly walk. I also have heard that the area where they are located is not so lovely. Don’t be so sure it would be a delight. I suggest before anyone walks there doing more research than reading someone posting it was a 30 minute walk. Plus there would still be the issue of the sandwiches being takeout.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, Charles4515 said:

Since Art Mels is popular maybe taxi drivers stop there for takeout all the time.

You could just use the app Hitch and not have to pay waiting time. Car will show back up when you call it in the app just like Uber. 

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You could just use the app Hitch and not have to pay waiting time. Car will show back up when you call it in the app just like Uber. 

Hitch is a taxi dispatch app. It is not like an Uber.  It is just like calling the taxi dispatch company on the phone for a taxi. What comes is a taxi. There is a 15% charge over the metered taxi rate if you use Hitch. You have to have some kind of international plan on your phone which is an additional cost. There is no guarantee a taxi will show. Unlike Uber, Hitch does not charge until the trip is complete so taxi drivers can game it and might decide not to show up there. I have read reports of taxis not showing up from the Hitch app. The only reason to use the Hitch app instead of calling for a taxi is you can pay with a credit card. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The only reason to use the Hitch app instead of calling for a taxi is you can pay with a credit card. 

You and I have disagreed about this before so I'm not going to rehash, but for the sake of people reading the thread both methods have plusses and minuses. In this instance, any premium you encounter is most likely less than you would pay in waiting time for a traditionally hailed taxi while you went in, ordered, and waited for a sandwich. And you have the peace of mind knowing you have a way back to town. 

We've found the app to be very useful when we go to out of the way places without taxis around-- paying with a cc, knowing where the car is coming from and how far away it is, as well as having GPS accountability for rides much like Uber (we've gotten partially refunded through the app for a trip that took the "scenic route" vs most direct) have been worth any premium. 

I would absolutely use it for getting to and from Art Mels without paying for a driver to wait. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, Charles4515 said:

It is takeout. No seating. So you should take a taxi and have the taxi wait. Take the taxi back to Hamilton.

That is exactly what we did and would do again. Absolutely worth it.

We bought one for the taxi guy as well. Take some plastic bags, foil, napkins...this sandwich is BIG.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:51 PM, Charles4515 said:

I have inquired about walking there but I was told it would not be a pedestrian friendly walk. I also have heard that the area where they are located is not so lovely. Don’t be so sure it would be a delight. I suggest before anyone walks there doing more research than reading someone posting it was a 30 minute walk. Plus there would still be the issue of the sandwiches being takeout.  

Yes that is absolutely right. Steep walk in some places, blind turns, no sidewalks. It seems to be in a residential area and very hard to find on your own. Google does not have the correct directions....it was nothing like it.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:57 PM, princeton123211 said:

You and I have disagreed about this before so I'm not going to rehash, but for the sake of people reading the thread both methods have plusses and minuses. In this instance, any premium you encounter is most likely less than you would pay in waiting time for a traditionally hailed taxi while you went in, ordered, and waited for a sandwich. And you have the peace of mind knowing you have a way back to town. 

We've found the app to be very useful when we go to out of the way places without taxis around-- paying with a cc, knowing where the car is coming from and how far away it is, as well as having GPS accountability for rides much like Uber (we've gotten partially refunded through the app for a trip that took the "scenic route" vs most direct) have been worth any premium. 

I would absolutely use it for getting to and from Art Mels without paying for a driver to wait. 

I am not taking sides here, but do the taxi and have them wait for this one......especially if you haven't been to it before.

• Like 2