Travel Capsule Templates

bbstx

I once made a stack of copies of the outline-page of Nancy Nix-Rice's plan for total (not travel) capsules:

https://www.amazon.com/Looking-Good-Wardrobe-Planning-Development/dp/0935278427/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wardrobe+nix&qid=1562468213&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This looks like an app version and I am interested! Going there now.

ETA: I am familiar with the Vivienne Files, just not the 4x4 app.

Edited by crystalspin

Ah, I looked at it and was surprised and delighted that the 4x4 is pretty much my system, graphically set up. My travel system (for DH and myself) is four bottoms, eight tops (shirts), two 'toppers' (jacket and/or cardigan). I see where the other two squares in the 4x4 matrix would be either travel-to garments or Gala night ones.

I'll try her grid vs my Excel template, next vacation!

Went back to this and decided 4x4 works but do not like her "first/second/mileage/expansion" scheme. If you only had the first and second, for example, you would have FOUR BOTTOMS, but only TWO TOPS, and TWO OVER-Tops. I spill (and sweat! and wrinkle!) on my tops much more than my bottoms. Therefore I reassembled the 4x4 so it looks a lot more like my Excel spreadsheet after all.

4x4 Wardrobe.JPG

ETA: I can see how structuring it this way will be useful in putting together packing cubes.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

I like your template!  I can see that you pack similarly to me, 2 tops for each bottom.  And all tops have to go with all bottoms because like you, I never know what I’m going to spill.  🙄 

I learned about Eileen Fisher garments from reading The Vivienne Files.  I particularly like EF garments made of viscose jersey or tencel jersey.  Nordstrom has some on sale right now.  So does the EF website.   Even though it says “jersey,” it is not clingy.  I can wash out a dress, roll it in a towel, hang it to dry, and wear it the next morning!  

Below is the 4x4 from The Vivienne Files that I use.  It has 4 or 5 bottoms, 8 or 9 tops, 2 jackets or cardigans, and an optional square for a dress or another top or bottom.  

I like looking at her color schemes for capsule packing.  It helps me look at my closet with a fresh eye.  

D2872A3C-C6CB-43BB-B851-F5FD1F8B55ED.jpeg

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Went back to this and decided 4x4 works but do not like her "first/second/mileage/expansion" scheme. If you only had the first and second, for example, you would have FOUR BOTTOMS, but only TWO TOPS, and TWO OVER-Tops. I spill (and sweat! and wrinkle!) on my tops much more than my bottoms. Therefore I reassembled the 4x4 so it looks a lot more like my Excel spreadsheet after all.

4x4 Wardrobe.JPG

ETA: I can see how structuring it this way will be useful in putting together packing cubes.

This is also pretty much how I pack; two tops for each bottom. I will throw in one or two additional "dressy" pieces if cruising as I like to look nice at dinner. 

I tend to use more pattern in my tops and rely less on scarves to pull things together, just because I find scarves fiddly for all-day wear, especially with a cross-body bag (which I prefer). I'm also not as creative in my color choices. My usual color scheme is "Black and...."  with the "and" varying by season and also changing over the years to include colors that are more "au courant"....

Sticking to black for my core color makes it easy to always have the basics and certain coordinating accessories on hand (e.g., purse, shoes).

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

I use a slightly different concept, also from the Vivienne Files website:

https://www.theviviennefiles.com/2011/06/back-to-roots-of-vivienne-files-part-7.html/

I call it Base 5 packing. Here's how it goes:

Start with a base of 5 garments, no matter how long or how short the trip:

(1) Jacket or cardigan                               

(2) Pants that match                                 

(3) Skirt that matches                               

(4) Top that goes with the above              

(5) Another top that matches.                   

Then you add one item for each day of your trip, up to a maximum of 15 items of clothing NO MATTER HOW LONG YOUR TRIP IS!!!

My "exceptions" to this packing is that I add 1 item (for a trip 2-3 days in length), 2 items (for a trip 4-5 days) and 3 items (for a trip 6 or more days), when the trip will have a lot of varied events or other unique factors. So, last December, when I was traveling over Christmas for 8 days, and had Christmas Eve and Day events, a wedding, cocktail party the night before the wedding, wine tasting and an open house, I allowed myself 16 items. 

I'd do the same for a cruise, to allow for the gala nights, and allow myself 15 items.

I find it really works.

@PandaBear62, thanks for the link!  I thought I’d read all of the Vivienne Files, but I’ve never seen this!  I think it may have been the genesis of the 4x4 template.  I can so identify with her desire to burn all of those clothes once she got home.  

Sometimes I think she (Janice of TVF) takes too much jewelry.  Really, do you need a different pair of earrings for each day?  A good friend of mine, who I greatly admired for her ability to pack light, always took a necklace, bracelet(s), and earrings in silver and another group in gold when she traveled.  That was it.  Last year we were gone for 5 weeks, 2 on a TA cruise and 3 on land.  I packed a ton of necklaces (literally - statement necklaces are heavy!).  When I got home, I realized I had worn may 1/4 of them.  

There is another trick that she has.  I can’t find the post about it right now, but essentially, when she gets home from a trip, she assesses what she took.  She looks at what she didn’t wear and why she didn’t wear it, then uses that information for future planning.

@cruisemom42, I’m with you on the scarves!  I have them; I take them with me; fiddling with them drives me crazy!  Their only redeeming grace is even a light scarf will help if the room is too chilly, which seems to often happen in restaurants.  

17 hours ago, bbstx said:

@cruisemom42, I’m with you on the scarves!  I have them; I take them with me; fiddling with them drives me crazy!  Their only redeeming grace is even a light scarf will help if the room is too chilly, which seems to often happen in restaurants.  

I love the idea of scarves. I am drawn to them like a magnet in stores. I do not actually wear them, because my signature 'thing' for a few years now, is wearing my reading glasses on "peeper keepers" that my sister beads for me, usually with matching earrings and sometimes a shorter necklace too, so a scarf is too much.

Which ties into how much jewelry to bring. By keeping the colors in my suitcase coordinated, it helps to limit the number of peeper-sets I need to pack. However my four-way shell for Gala nights needs three by itself! So then one or two more. Fortunately the only sets I consider for travel are glass or crystal beaded, so while slightly bulky (more so that your friend with silver and gold only), they are not too heavy. I have 3-4 elongated zipper cases that hold a set or two each, and protect the lenses pretty well. 

Edited by crystalspin

On 7/9/2019 at 2:07 AM, crystalspin said:

I love the idea of scarves. I am drawn to them like a magnet in stores. I do not actually wear them, because my signature 'thing' for a few years now, is wearing my reading glasses on "peeper keepers" that my sister beads for me, usually with matching earrings and sometimes a shorter necklace too, so a scarf is too much.

I also love the idea of scarves, and they are a favorite souvenir that I buy during travels and often enjoy wearing when I'm at home; they are great for adding color/interest to my work outfits. I also will bring a dressy one or two for evenings out (or onboard ship) while traveling. However, seems like they are always in the way if I wear one while touring during the day -- partly because of my cross-body bag, partly because I am just a bit klutzy and the ends of the scarf tend to wind up in the spaghetti sauce, or the sink while I'm washing my hands. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am just a bit klutzy and the ends of the scarf tend to wind up in the spaghetti sauce, or the sink while I'm washing my hands. 

HA!  I can so identify with this!  I have to make sure the tails are flipped to the back when I eat.  Here is what The Vivienne Files has to say about it:

And when you’re out to eat, you can just toss the knot behind you, so that during dinner, the scarf floats down your back. Before you get all lit up about the heresy of this, I first saw this done in Paris, so I feel like it’s totally acceptable. And if it isn’t, I will find a way to not mind!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I love scarves - they take up so little room when packing, and make great souvenirs.  As a result, whenever we travel, I end up bringing a few back with me.  I make great use of them when we cruise, as I bring along a sleeveless black jersey maxi dress (which I picked up for a paltry $10 at Costco), that I can dress down with scarves for regular evenings, or dress up with bling and sparkly jackets for gala nights on the ship.    Over the years I've learned from my mistakes when packing, and always bring less on each trip than I did the one before.  Soon, I'll be able to use just a carry-on.  Nope, who am I kidding!  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Over the years I've learned from my mistakes when packing, and always bring less on each trip than I did the one before. 

Rick Steves says no one ever  says “I wish I had taken more luggage on my trip.” 😉 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, bbstx said:

Have any of you ever used the capsule wardrobe templates at TheVivienneFiles ?  I’ve used the 4x4 template several times.  While I never stick to it totally, I find it helps me hone what I need to take.  It also helps me look put-together.  And it (almost) prevents me from overpacking! 

Never seen that website.  Great info. 

I love to use a Maxi Skirt (Black or Black and White) for warm weather traveling. You can throw a white t-shirt with it and keds for daytime fun or you can spice it up with a cami and a jacket and jewlery for dinner.  It even works with a one peice black bathing suit to get you to and from the pool.

I will definitely check out some of these capsule wardrobe templates.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, simplelife said:

Panda, I am intrigued by your 15 item idea and think I will try it next cruise. I 'm nor much of a skirt person, so I think I'll replace that with a simple dress.

I definitely tweaked items. I don't wear skirts, so I bring more pants. 

I think most "templates" target the same thing.....bring a limited number of items that can be coordinated together. Which system works for you just depends on how your brain works, I think. 

Panda